Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

For me, it's £70 quid too much. Not really fair that it is £399 but $399 in America with the £ being more valuable it should actually be about £310. You can get a Galaxy S8 for about 30 or so quid cheaper than the 3a on Amazon, better build, as well as more features (wireless charging etc). 

Yeah that’s kinda put me off a little too I’ll blame it on trump and his tariff wars.

Who cares.

Eventually all phones will be hacked, no internet will be safe and the only secure form of communication will be face to face conversation in private.

When Virgin mobile went down today there was a meltdown. There was a woman who had contacted Radio 5 because her phone wasn't working, so she wouldn't know where to pick her daughter up after school. Can she not remember what her mother used to do for her (probably - let her walk), but in any case, my guess would be, somewhere in the vicinity of the school she attends.

Seriously, if Al-Qaeda wants to bring the West to it's knees, they don't need to blow up buildings or assassinate world leaders. Just deprive us of Instagram & Twitter for a couple of days and we'll turn on each other.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/05/2019 at 20:25, Ian Nacho said:

For me, it's £70 quid too much. Not really fair that it is £399 but $399 in America with the £ being more valuable it should actually be about £310. You can get a Galaxy S8 for about 30 or so quid cheaper than the 3a on Amazon, better build, as well as more features (wireless charging etc). 

I’m still undecided although I’m probably giving Huawei a wide birth now. I’d prefer a new phone over galaxy S8 because it will be supported for longer, even if the S8 has better specs they tend to stop supporting phones after 5 years so that’s only a couple of years before the S8 needs upgrading.

Edit: After doing some further research seems Android phones stop being supported much earlier than Apple. Maybe I’m better off with an iPhone that will last 5 years rather than a Samsung or Google phone that will last 2 or 3...

Damn choice why can’t life be simple.

Edited by Captain...

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I’m still undecided although I’m probably giving Huawei a wide birth now. I’d prefer a new phone over galaxy S8 because it will be supported for longer, even if the S8 has better specs they tend to stop supporting phones after 5 years so that’s only a couple of years before the S8 needs upgrading.

Edit: After doing some further research seems Android phones stop being supported much earlier than Apple. Maybe I’m better off with an iPhone that will last 5 years rather than a Samsung or Google phone that will last 2 or 3...

Damn choice why can’t life be simple.

I have to get my wife a phone soon so unless i find a deal on another phone with a good water IP rating im leaning towards the pixel 3a. Will get android updates  first too i believe.

I know Sony phones dont have a great image in terms of comparisons to the popular samsungs and iphones but my wifes sony xperia has been bloody solid. Cant remember which model but was brand new in 2014 and always toook better pics then my s5. Now i have a s9+. Will still check out sony.

I would be looking into Huawei but with them getting the wrong attention from canada/usa the last thing id want is to cross the border and they take the phone  lol

3 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

I have to get my wife a phone soon so unless i find a deal on another phone with a good water IP rating im leaning towards the pixel 3a. Will get android updates  first too i believe.

I know Sony phones dont have a great image in terms of comparisons to the popular samsungs and iphones but my wifes sony xperia has been bloody solid. Cant remember which model but was brand new in 2014 and always toook better pics then my s5. Now i have a s9+. Will still check out sony.

I would be looking into Huawei but with them getting the wrong attention from canada/usa the last thing id want is to cross the border and they take the phone  lol

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant but the Pixel doesn't have a IP rating lol

9 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Pixel 3a is highly recommended by a mate, great phone and cheap. As the owner of a Huawei I'm planning to hold until it dies or support ends lol?

• Like 1

Tied to Apple by having got an Apple watch 6 months ago.

Never look at the most recent or top of the range and always expect my tariff to increase by around  £5-£6 a month but looking at a 64gb 8 or XR, even through third party retailers, it's going to cost me around an extra £13-£23 a month. I've looked at buying the phone outright and going SIM free or paying more towards the handset and the difference in overall cost is neither here or there.

I very rarely stream anything unless I'm on WIFI so don't need that much data but there seems to be no real difference in cost between a 10gb and 50gb tariff

Just ordered my new Sony, £38 a month for 50gb and Spotify premium, obviously unlimited texts and minutes, at home or abroad. They're probably having my knickers down, but I love my Sony phone and I have no complaints with Vodafone. 

6 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Just ordered my new Sony, £38 a month for 50gb and Spotify premium, obviously unlimited texts and minutes, at home or abroad. They're probably having my knickers down, but I love my Sony phone and I have no complaints with Vodafone. 

What sony did you get?

Got a text from EE the other day about being eligible to upgrade so I clicked on it and had a look at some of their deals. 

Browsed around and saw they had some 'Smart SIM' offers. 20GB for £20. 50GB for £32. Then saw 100GB for £35/m. Along with your usual unlimited texts and calls. AND you get free pair of Beats earphones as well as swappable benefits like roaming pass, video data pass, music data pass amongst couple of other things. 

Thought it was too good to be true so rang EE to make sure it wasn't some kind of scam. Got through to an advisor and even he didn't know about it when I mentioned it to him. Sent him a screenshot of the text and offer and he had a further look online and he said it was all legit. He even thanked me for letting him know lol

Not that I'll probably ever touch close to using that much data in a month but thought might as well take it considering I was paying more previously per month for a fraction of that data on my contract. 

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Got a text from EE the other day about being eligible to upgrade so I clicked on it and had a look at some of their deals. 

Browsed around and saw they had some 'Smart SIM' offers. 20GB for £20. 50GB for £32. Then saw 100GB for £35/m. Along with your usual unlimited texts and calls. AND you get free pair of Beats earphones as well as swappable benefits like roaming pass, video data pass, music data pass amongst couple of other things. 

Thought it was too good to be true so rang EE to make sure it wasn't some kind of scam. Got through to an advisor and even he didn't know about it when I mentioned it to him. Sent him a screenshot of the text and offer and he had a further look online and he said it was all legit. He even thanked me for letting him know lol

Not that I'll probably ever touch close to using that much data in a month but thought might as well take it considering I was paying more previously per month for a fraction of that data on my contract. 

I have 100gb data deal with Vodafone, I used 13gb last month ?

14 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

How long is the contract?

That's not a bad deal considering Spotify Premium is £9.99 stand alone.

6 minutes ago, CollinsLCFC said:

How long is the contract?

That's not a bad deal considering Spotify Premium is £9.99 stand alone.

It's 2 years. Instead of Spotify you can have Sky sports mobile, amazon video or something else I can't remember it could be Netflix. Tbh I didn't shop around, just went back to Vodafone. 

29 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yeah, I got that text too.

My EE contract finishes soon and I pay £50 a month. My phone is an Apple 6S Plus and it's perfect for me so I've no intention of upgrading to a new handset and will go SIM only I think.

I only use about 4GB a month so reckon I'll bin off EE and go to Three who do 12GB a month plus unlimited calls/texts SIM only for £14 a month.

15 minutes ago, Izzy said:

My EE contract finishes soon and I pay £50 a month. My phone is an Apple 6S Plus and it's perfect for me so I've no intention of upgrading to a new handset and will go SIM only I think.

I only use about 4GB a month so reckon I'll bin off EE and go to Three who do 12GB a month plus unlimited calls/texts SIM only for £14 a month.

I have a 6s plus buddy and kept it too.

I went for 02 as I'd been with them years and told them to compete or I leave... they gave me unlimited and 4GB for £12 which I was happy with. The other half went for Giff Gaff which are brilliant to be fair - they advise her every month in relation to usage and suggest lowering the tariff to their detriment. They are from what I've seen one of the cheapest options out there - worth a look.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Yeah I didn't need a new phone either. Got a Google Pixel and in January my previous one malfunctioned so got it replaced for free. 

I have 6gb data plan here in canada and thats considered alot these days. These companies charge anywhere from $60  a month if you are lucky to well over $100 for that. Thats 35£-60£+ a month.

Typically most plans start around 1gb of data and over $60. 

I've just bought my son a Vodafone sim only, unlimited minutes and texts and 100gb a month for £24 a month. If you remember to do it you can also claim cashback which reduces the total to £13 a month. I'm happy with that, bought it from mobiles.co.uk

6 hours ago, Izzy said:

6 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I have a 6s plus buddy and kept it too.

I went for 02 as I'd been with them years and told them to compete or I leave... they gave me unlimited and 4GB for £12 which I was happy with. The other half went for Giff Gaff which are brilliant to be fair - they advise her every month in relation to usage and suggest lowering the tariff to their detriment. They are from what I've seen one of the cheapest options out there - worth a look.

What's the battery life like on that?