Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

Unless you're desperate to remain in the Apple universe or can get a really good deal on a 5s, I'd have a look at what else you can get for the money. 5s has been around for ages now but they still charge through the nose for them even though the specs are no great shakes by modern standards

Dixons at airports sell the refurbished iphone 5 for £299 at the moment if people want cheaper iPhones. Personally I'm happy with my Oneplus One, a brilliant top end phone for half the price of the competition.

Due an upgrade from December onwards.

Previous phones - HTC Desire HD, Samsung S3. 

Not sure what to get next (iPhone would essentially be a last resort). Is S5 worth spending more on than the S4? Switch back to HTC?

Depends how big you want your handset. I was going to get the htc m8 as I've always had htc, but it's bigger than it looks. Went for the alpha basically due to the specs and size. Never had a samsung before but it's great, light and well designed

Depends how big you want your handset. I was going to get the htc m8 as I've always had htc, but it's bigger than it looks. Went for the alpha basically due to the specs and size. Never had a samsung before but it's great, light and well designed

Nothing too big but when I bought the S3 I said the same lol.

Are the s4 and s5 handsets much bigger?

Nothing too big but when I bought the S3 I said the same lol.

Are the s4 and s5 handsets much bigger?

The samsung alpha is basically the same spec wise as the s5 but in a smaller package, although still a 5 inch screen. Things always seem bigger in your hand though, eh?

I've mentioned this.

As I said in my post earlier I can't see many/if any changes in the new iPhone, apparently it's a better battery, and it's bigger, they can't really improve it much more as regards what it can do, so what can they do? Make it bigger, thats about it.

Again like I mentioned, personally I don't want it bigger, I want a phone and a tablet as seperate devices, not as a phablet (Or whatever stupid name they've come up with).

Think i'm gonna be plumping for the 5S purely because I don't like the 'huge' 6.

I've waited for a couple of years for a phone like the iPhone 6 to emerge. Better battery life and a bigger screen (compared to my 4S that I had for two years) are one thing. The main selling point for me was the availability of a 128GB model.

Finally, I'm able to upload all my music to my smartphone and no longer need to rely on both a phone and an iPod on the go (I've sold the iPod a few months ago and am in the process of selling my 4S).

I went for the regular 6 model, I need a phone I can use with one hand still and don't see the appeal in a big smartphone such as the iPhone 6 Plus.

I've waited for a couple of years for a phone like the iPhone 6 to emerge. Better battery life and a bigger screen (compared to my 4S that I had for two years) are one thing. The main selling point for me was the availability of a 128GB model.

Finally, I'm able to upload all my music to my smartphone and no longer need to rely on both a phone and an iPod on the go (I've sold the iPod a few months ago and am in the process of selling my 4S).

I went for the regular 6 model, I need a phone I can use with one hand still and don't see the appeal in a big smartphone such as the iPhone 6 Plus.

The big problem with using an iPhone as your main music player is still the relatively poor battery, I have a phone with a battery almost double the capacity of an iPhone 6 and I'd still only use it as a music player occasionally.

The big problem with using an iPhone as your main music player is still the relatively poor battery, I have a phone with a battery almost double the capacity of an iPhone 6 and I'd still only use it as a music player occasionally.

That may be, but I'm not listening to music on my phone for longer than half an hour straight myself and I thus spare the battery life in that regard. That amounts to maybe one to two percent of battery wasted.

From what I've noticed in the past few weeks since I've got the 6 is that relatively speaking, the battery truly does deliver.

I can leave my phone uncharged for about two days straight - that's quite an improvement over the 4S and its daily need of electricity! :D

(Still no patch on the old-school Nokia phones I had as a teen and as a young adult)

Edited by MC Prussian

The battery on the 6 plus is amazing.  It last at least two days with my normal use. 

Not use anything else for music in ages.  Thinking about getting a Bose soundlink mini.

Edited by Jon the Hat

Dixons at airports sell the refurbished iphone 5 for £299 at the moment if people want cheaper iPhones. Personally I'm happy with my Oneplus One, a brilliant top end phone for half the price of the competition.

To me, the iphone in that example is still astonishingly poor value.  It may have been £600 odd when it came out, but why you'd spend literally twice as much as you need to (and for a refurb at that), to get similar specs now is beyond me.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Apple-iPhone-5,Motorola-Moto-G-LTE/phones/7378,8655

The Motorola in the above example can be bought sim free for less than £150 if you shop about.

I had a quick look at the Oneplus - it's similar to a Nexus 5 isn't it?  The only thing that put me off was it was still more than I wanted to spend (I really am that tight) and the fact that you cannot just go into a shop, or on to their website to buy one

To me, the iphone in that example is still astonishingly poor value. It may have been £600 odd when it came out, but why you'd spend literally twice as much as you need to (and for a refurb at that), to get similar specs now is beyond me.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Apple-iPhone-5,Motorola-Moto-G-LTE/phones/7378,8655

The Motorola in the above example can be bought sim free for less than £150 if you shop about.

I had a quick look at the Oneplus - it's similar to a Nexus 5 isn't it? The only thing that put me off was it was still more than I wanted to spend (I really am that tight) and the fact that you cannot just go into a shop, or on to their website to buy one

You can buy the oneplus one at the oneplus.eu website but they are Chinese versions with ColorOS removed and Cyanogen mod applied. I like having the ability to remove googles tracking from my apps

It's a bit boring but the first thing I always put on is the (HTC) Sense clock. It's nice and clear, shows the weather and location and battery level.

What sort of stuff do you like?

Im looking for a decent football scores widget, a twitter widget as twitters own is a bit shit. Otherwise im into music, fashion and penguins so any news apps revolving around those would be useful. And then just any thing else people of android know about that would be interesting to have.

Im looking for a decent football scores widget, a twitter widget as twitters own is a bit shit. Otherwise im into music, fashion and penguins so any news apps revolving around those would be useful. And then just any thing else people of android know about that would be interesting to have.

I use fotmob for football scores, tapatalk for forums, Android Cleaner to manage memory, standard Twitter app but tweetdeck as good reviews.

Thinking about getting an LG phone, still not sure which. Does anyone have one? Do you recommend it?

Cheers.

I had a G2, it was a pretty decent phone, you'll either love or loathe the buttons on the back.