Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Albums you haven't listened to for ages but then when you do listen to them you wonder why you didn't listen to them for ages

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Oasis_-_%28What%27s_The_Story%29_Morning_Glory_album_cover.jpg

I played this in full first time in ages the other week. I forgot how good it is (better than Definitely Maybe for me). I don't think there is a bad song on it.

• Like 3

On 11/03/2021 at 13:56, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

No_Doubt_-_Tragic_Kingdom.png

Oh god I somehow went about 20 years without listening to this, what a banger!

I bought it on vinyl last year, it was the 15th anniversary. I am a fan of Gwen (solo and with No Doubt). This is a great album. "Don't Speak" has always been the obvious stand out but I love "Just A Girl", both the riff and her lyrics.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I bought it on vinyl last year, it was the 15th anniversary. I am a fan of Gwen (solo and with No Doubt). This is a great album. "Don't Speak" has always been the obvious stand out but I love "Just A Girl", both the riff and her lyrics.

It was the first proper album I ever bought, the opening riff from Happy Now always gets the hairs up on my neck when I listen through headphones

You're right about the lyrics - there's a sort of Fleetwood Mac situation that helped with the sincere songwriting. Gwen and Tony Kanal (the bassist/co song writer) were in a long term relationship that broke down while they were writing the album. Added to that, Eric Stefani (Gwen's brother, keyboards/co song writer) was fighting with the band for months and left the band as soon as they'd finished recording the album. The tension and anger during writing and recording must have been off the scale, and ended up helping shape a very honest and energetic album

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I have to say, I was feeling pretty down and fed up today.

Then I put this on.

Daydreamnation.png

One of those albums that totally changed my musical perspective, as I started to discover that there was more to music than just the charts.

I could pretty much say the exact same thing about DN. First SY album I ever bought and still one of my all-time favourites.

• Like 2

Probably better regarded as a singles band but magnificent from start to finish. 

A huge shot in the arm to a stagnant British pop in the mid to late 80s. What Neil Tennant would describe as the 'Imperial Phase'

Glorious.

portada.jpg

Edited by Blue ROI
  • Like 3

Given that its St Patricks Day and all that

A surprising collaboration for the time. Traditional Irish band joins up with Northern Ireland act to record an album of Irish songs/covers at the height of the troubles.Could be viewed as Ireland's 'Graceland'.

2nd in NME's Top 50 albums of 1988.

Van Morrison & The Chieftains – Irish Heartbeat (1987, Vinyl) - Discogs

• Like 3

On 16/03/2021 at 20:28, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Another I got on vinyl recently.....must have been totally mind blowing to hear this as a kid in 1970

21.-Black-Sabbath-Black-Sabbath.jpg

What's remarkable is how well Sabbath have aged. Compare the first four Black Sabbath records to the big selling Ozzy Osbourne solo albums of the eighties that are far more polished both musically and in terms of production, but they sound so dated and were released 10+ years later!

It's also mad how bands who you wouldn't think are influenced by Sabbath are making music that sounds like them. For instance bands like Artic Monkeys and Foals have released albums in recent years that have some riffs that sounds very Sabbathy.

22 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

What's remarkable is how well Sabbath have aged. Compare the first four Black Sabbath records to the big selling Ozzy Osbourne solo albums of the eighties that are far more polished both musically and in terms of production, but they sound so dated and were released 10+ years later!

It's also mad how bands who you wouldn't think are influenced by Sabbath are making music that sounds like them. For instance bands like Artic Monkeys and Foals have released albums in recent years that have some riffs that sounds very Sabbathy.

Remember hearing Arabella for the first time and thinking "this is turning into a cover of War Pigs". lol

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Remember hearing Arabella for the first time and thinking "this is turning into a cover of War Pigs". lol

There was a Foo Fighters single released a few years ago that had me absolutely howling because the riff was literally Holy Diver by Dio. 

Made funnier by my friend who was a big Foo Fighters fan being in complete denial about it. 

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...