Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

With a Big Lockdown in place why is there so much traffic on the road, so much more than there was in March?

It's like  'normal' Saturday traffic near me.

8 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I know it’s not the most reliable source but how come Wikipedia never counts cup games as appearances? Was looking at Benkovic and it says he’s never made an appearance for us but he’s definitely played in the FA Cup  

Wikipedia is very hit and miss at the best of times.It relies on who is doing the research and write up.It always does my head in how they set the goals,appearances and competition’s tables out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

With a Big Lockdown in place why is there so much traffic on the road, so much more than there was in March?

Because this isn’t a lockdown despite what the media try to tell us.It should really be called a stay indoors request.Or SID for short.

Just now, Heathrow fox said:

Because this isn’t a lockdown despite what the media try to tell us.It should really be called a stay indoors request.Or SID for short.

Well all those people driving near me and it's a lot are not SID.

6 hours ago, davieG said:

I've just finished delivering for the day.

Traffic was bad today, although the motorway was pretty clear.

I'd say about 80% of my deliveries were to houses where people were out. Can't all be at work on a Saturday?!

8 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I'd say about 80% of my deliveries were to houses where people were out. Can't all be at work on a Saturday?!

Pretty much exactly what our resident postie @Trav Le Bleuhas just said on the Coronavirus thread

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Who names roads?

Whilst working today, I discovered a road in Loughborough, named, Sharter Drive.

What were they thinking? Did they know? lol

I thought that when I first saw that.

There a little street called Ingle Pingle in Loughborough too, always makes me chuckle.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Who names roads?

Whilst working today, I discovered a road in Loughborough, named, Sharter Drive.

Street naming regulations are enshrined in UK law. Your local borough or district council is responsible for assigning street names (and house numbers). The legislation can be found in the Towns Improvement Clauses Act 1847 and the Public Health Act of 1925.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

Street naming regulations are enshrined in UK law. Your local borough or district council is responsible for assigning street names (and house numbers). The legislation can be found in the Towns Improvement Clauses Act 1847 and the Public Health Act of 1925.

Some of the way the numbering works is beyond belief. You'd think it would be straightforward. I wonder if @Trav Le Bleuagrees?

There's a road in Desford on the new builds that blows my mind. You turn into a street called Fox Covert, there's about 4 houses before the street changes to another name. But the numbering has started from the wrong end.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Who names roads?

9 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I thought that when I first saw that.

There a little street called Ingle Pingle in Loughborough too, always makes me chuckle.

Went to the Cotswolds a couple of years ago and there was a road called 'Upper Up'. How lazy lol 

21 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Just wondering, do you have a set start time and are your driving hours logged. I know you don't fall within UK truck driving regs which limit drivers of commercial vehicles over 7.5 tonnes to 9 hrs a day with a 45 min break. I guess you must drive more than 9 hours. Do you have to take a break or do you just keep going until you've got no parcels left?

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Some of the way the numbering works is beyond belief. You'd think it would be straightforward. I wonder if @Trav Le Bleuagrees?

There's a road in Desford on the new builds that blows my mind. You turn into a street called Fox Covert, there's about 4 houses before the street changes to another name. But the numbering has started from the wrong end.

I know. So many times I've been stumped trying to find an address when on a 999 call. It's very frustrating and stressful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

Just wondering, do you have a set start time and are your driving hours logged. I know you don't fall within UK truck driving regs which limit drivers of commercial vehicles over 7.5 tonnes to 9 hrs a day with a 45 min break. I guess you must drive more than 9 hours. Do you have to take a break or do you just keep going until you've got no parcels left?

Our routes are designed to last 9 hours from leaving the depot, until returning to the depot. Sometimes you can have 200 drops and do it in less. Today I had 100 drops and it took me forever. I was driving 12 minutes between drops in some cases and had hardly any clusters.

A realistic target is 20 stops per hour, but not when you're out in the sticks like I was today. 4 hours in today, I was averaging 10 stops an hour, but picked up at the end when the stops were clustered.

With regards to breaks, we get a reminder on our phone, but everyone just cracks on. I'll stop and have a sandwich, that's about it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Our routes are designed to last 9 hours from leaving the depot, until returning to the depot. Sometimes you can have 200 drops and do it in less. Today I had 100 drops and it took me forever. I was driving 12 minutes between drops in some cases and had hardly any clusters.

A realistic target is 20 stops per hour, but not when you're out in the sticks like I was today. 4 hours in today, I was averaging 10 stops an hour, but picked up at the end when the stops were clustered.

With regards to breaks, we get a reminder on our phone, but everyone just cracks on. I'll stop and have a sandwich, that's about it.

Jeezuz christ, that's crazy numbers. What do you do if you need a dump out of interest? 

Just now, Izzy said:

Jeezuz christ, that's crazy numbers. What do you do if you need a dump out of interest? 

Hold it! 

Not gonna lie, there's a few empty Lucozade bottles in the back of the van that are very useful, if you catch my drift lol

No solids...yet!!!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Street numbering is bizarre, especially in new streets. There's a road just been built between Wigston and Kilby Bridge that goes in a square. Number 1 is halfway round the square, not where you enter off Welford Rd. The mind boggles.

Worse for us posties is what happens on so many new estates, they love to plan closes that split left and right at the bottom, so when on foot doing letters you go down one side, it splits off left, then you have to walk back past houses you've already done to get to your next bit (the other side of the close that has split off in the opposite direction). Posties call that "deadwalking". If you're walking, you want to be delivering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

When I was doing just parcels, 20 an hour was about my rate.

• Like 1