Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

On 03/09/2020 at 10:54, Izzy said:

Anybody else feel like they're turning into their Dad?

I feel like like the older I get, the more I'm turning into my Dad.

I catch myself speaking like him and using the same mannerisms as him and more and more people tell me I look and sound like him.

It's freaking me out a bit tbh.

You know you've completely turned into your dad when you use a thin strip of wood to mix paint.

And you keep that thin strip for years.

"Waste not, want not."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

You know you've completely turned into your dad when you use a thin strip of wood to mix paint.

And you keep that thin strip for years.

"Waste not, want not."

I've got a piece of old broom handle that I've used as a stir stick for years. It's that thick with paint it looks like a baseball bat.

One day I'm going to saw into it, it'll look like psychedelic tree rings.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Heathrow fox said:

Why do these decade and genre themed DAB radio stations only seem to have a hundred songs each?Is it something to do with the royalties being too expensive?

I was thinking that today funnily enough.

I've got DAB radio in my new car and for the last 2 weeks I've mainly listened to Absolute 80's and Heart 80's. It's now becoming repetitive and I was thinking "I'm sure there were more hit songs than this in the 80's!"

Maybe you're right about the royalties thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

Has anyone been to the Richard III Museum and, if so, would you recommend it for a casual tour?

I've been to the church he's been interred in. You won't get a full day out of that but it's worth a visit and a nosey. Pair it with the museum and I'm sure you'll fill your time. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Has anyone been to the Richard III Museum and, if so, would you recommend it for a casual tour?

Yes. It's not cheap, but very good and covers a lot of ground - Richard/Henry Tudor, Richard as effective Deputy King & then King, social history of Leicester in 1400s, Battle of Bosworth, then lots of scientific stuff about the dig in the car park, how they located him, identified him via location, injuries, carbon dating, diet etc, how they traced his distant relations etc.

Probably only worth going if you're going to either spend a couple of hours in there or come back (tickets remain valid for repeat visits within a year, I think).

I like his tomb in the cathedral, too - very stylish, elegant design (I'm weird, I know!) .

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Buce said:

Does anyone know how to pronounce Milngavie (nr Glasgow)?

@Vacamion?

https://www.scotsmagazine.com/articles/pronunciation-guide/#:~:text=Scotland is full of weird,never%2C ever “Edinburro”.

"Mull-guy" apparently.

In fact, if you go on the Wikipedia page, there's a listen link at the top of the page that provides the pronunciation in an audible form.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milngavie

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Yup deffo Mull Guy.

(The stress on the Guy part)

Very posh up there.

My sis lives in a heavy posh scottish territory, lovely people but the accent sounds incredibly condescending to me for some reason.

Does anyone know of any charity shops still accepting donations? We're moving soon and we have loads of stuff that's too good for the tip. Freecycle won't take posts atm, and Facebook Marketplace is a bit slow to get rid of things, plus it's a bit of a pain having to list everything individually. The charity shops near me are all closed for donations and the advice is to keep it at home until they reopen, but we're not really in a position to do that. I really don't want to have to tip it all so any suggestions anyone please?

12 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Does anyone know of any charity shops still accepting donations? We're moving soon and we have loads of stuff that's too good for the tip. Freecycle won't take posts atm, and Facebook Marketplace is a bit slow to get rid of things, plus it's a bit of a pain having to list everything individually. The charity shops near me are all closed for donations and the advice is to keep it at home until they reopen, but we're not really in a position to do that. I really don't want to have to tip it all so any suggestions anyone please?

http://sofareuse.org/donate
Sofa in Loughborough are still running as far as I know.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I could do it but I’d charge too much for it to be viable.

I’d look to local aerial fitters, the usually offer TV fitting services that are reasonable and I’m sure lifting a carpet is within their skill set.

No Foxestalk member discount rates? ;)

7 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

No Foxestalk member discount rates? ;)

I have a lifestyle to keep up with, and besides I’m fully booked up until late Jan now. Honestly you’ll find better value with the aerial guys, they seemed to have moved into this sort of area naturally as the need for aerials has depleted since iptv.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

I could do it but I’d charge too much for it to be viable.

I’d look to local aerial fitters, the usually offer TV fitting services that are reasonable and I’m sure lifting a carpet is within their skill set.

Lifting a carpet is within anyone's skill set.

Putting it back on the other hand...

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Lifting a carpet is within anyone's skill set.

Putting it back on the other hand...

Well, yes this is true, some of the efforts I’ve seen over the years would make your eyes bleed. Fortunately most domestic jobs these days do not require cables, allowing room for some special people in our industry.

The job I’ve just been too, the previous installer couldn’t even run cables in the attic properly, what a bloody mess.