Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

6 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

I Am looking for some help to fit my tv wires under a carpet anybody know anyone that specializes In this? Thanks!

Take a Stanley knife and a roll of carpet tape. Cut the carpet across the room where you need the wires to go then lay the wires in that cut. Then stick the carpet tape to the floor, then stick the carpet to the tape securely by pressing on it with you feet. That's what my mate did. If you want his number, let me know :thumbup:

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Is there anything more ironic in life than losing your glasses and having to look for them?

It’s like rain on your wedding day. Or a free ride, when you’ve already paid.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking at getting our hall landing and stairs painted and tidied up. We just got our first quote which was labour only £575.00. Looks to be 2 days work and that to me sounds a rip off. Anyone have any experience on what would be a fair price?

Edited by Unabomber

13 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

We are looking at getting our hall landing and stairs painted and tidied up. We just got our first quote which was labour only £575.00. Looks to be 2 days work and that to me sounds a rip off. Anyone have any experience on what would be a fair price?

@Webbo will know

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

It sounds a bit steep but without knowing how big your stairs are, what state they're in and what you want doing it's not really fair for me to say. 

If it includes the woodwork it'd probably be more than 2 days. 

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

@Webbo will know

19 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Please help @Webbo

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It sounds a bit steep but without knowing how big your stairs are, what state they're in and what you want doing it's not really fair for me to say. 

Stop playing hard to get Webster ...  get round there and give him a quote ...   :)

(I reckon £300 tops for cash Una but keep an eye on the bugger ..  he spends a lot of time posting on his phone) ...  

9 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'd snap their hands off.

Pexels-governor-s-mansion-montgomery-alabama-grand-staircase-161758-1240x826.thumb.jpeg.8bef86daba1f0a4d695979374eef07e7.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I do most of my own work, but having just also installed new stairs (posts, newels and bannister) the stripping and prep, papering, painting and staining, in my hall and landing was simply too massive a job. Complete redecoration. No plastering or skimming required thank God - but loads of filling because it's an oldish house. The prep alone has taken four days, but it's perfect. Very, very professional competent decorators working on it. It will look beautiful when finished. Total cost? £1,500 - nearly a fortnight's work. 

11 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I do most of my own work, but having just also installed new stairs (posts, newels and bannister) the stripping and prep, papering, painting and staining, in my hall and landing was simply too massive a job. Complete redecoration. No plastering or skimming required thank God - but loads of filling because it's an oldish house. The prep alone has taken four days, but it's perfect. Very, very professional competent decorators working on it. It will look beautiful when finished. Total cost? £1,500 - nearly a fortnight's work. 

Four days of prep for two decorators? So 8 days of prep in total. How big is your hall and stairs haha. I only ask as I'm a decorator and think I've been working too fast all these years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soup said:

Four days of prep for two decorators? So 8 days of prep in total. How big is your hall and stairs haha. I only ask as I'm a decorator and think I've been working too fast all these years.

Actually, three and a half days to be fair, because the papering has started. Seriously, you needed to have seen the job. We're not talking a sponge and sugar soap and a few tins of gloss and emulsion here. One day stripping paper - one man. Two and a half days sanding and filling (two people one day). Precisely why I hired someone to do it. The stairs will be time consuming too because they are natural wood and not yet primed. As Webbo said, it depends on the size and the state doesn't it. Lot's of woodwork to do and two of the walls are a huge drop. Trust me, it's not a small job, which is why I've put it off for a while. 

24 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Actually, three and a half days to be fair, because the papering has started. Seriously, you needed to have seen the job. We're not talking a sponge and sugar soap and a few tins of gloss and emulsion here. One day stripping paper - one man. Two and a half days sanding and filling (two people one day). Precisely why I hired someone to do it. The stairs will be time consuming too because they are natural wood and not yet primed. As Webbo said, it depends on the size and the state doesn't it. Lot's of woodwork to do and two of the walls are a huge drop. Trust me, it's not a small job, which is why I've put it off for a while. 

Yeah hall stairs and landings are big jobs without a doubt. Especially if stripping and re-papering. I've just finished one on the Ridgeway in Rothely, an absolute beast of a job. Hard work but satisfying when finished.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soup said:

Yeah hall stairs and landings are big jobs without a doubt. Especially if stripping and re-papering. I've just finished one on the Ridgeway in Rothely, an absolute beast of a job. Hard work but satisfying when finished.

I love papering, shame it's a bit out of fashion now. Back in the 80s when I started, I was more of a paper hanger that did a bit of painting, now it's the other way around.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I love papering, shame it's a bit out of fashion now. Back in the 80s when I started, I was more of a paper hanger that did a bit of painting, now it's the other way around.

Yeah apart from the odd feature wall I don't do that much either. I started on new build in the early 90's so hardly did any for the first 10 or so years. But I went sent employed so did alot more after that. I find in more therapeutic than painting. 

Especially non woven paper.

Edited by Soup

Why do people send Christmas cards to people they patently don't care about?

Every Christmas I must literally get 50-100 cards to be delivered to people who have either moved away or died years ago. I mean, if it was someone who actually had some kind of relevance, you would know this kind of information.

My house isn’t very big at all tbf. I was more going by the day rate. So he essentially was saying £287 a day. However he has since been in touch and said if we get it done before Christmas he will do it for £450. Seems a big drop which adds to me thinking he was taking the piss initially! 

10 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

My house isn’t very big at all tbf. I was more going by the day rate. So he essentially was saying £287 a day. However he has since been in touch and said if we get it done before Christmas he will do it for £450. Seems a big drop which adds to me thinking he was taking the piss initially! 

Does it include woodwork, Doors, frames, skirting etc?