Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

My house isn’t very big at all tbf. I was more going by the day rate. So he essentially was saying £287 a day. However he has since been in touch and said if we get it done before Christmas he will do it for £450. Seems a big drop which adds to me thinking he was taking the piss initially! 

Probably but I always start a bit bigger incase people negotiate me down. If they flat out accept, I drop my price on invoice and tell them I got the materials cheaper than I expected. 
If you go in bottom line, you’ve got no wiggle room.

When we had our bathroom done upstairs 5 years ago, we had a toilet sink combo thingy and it was all great, but now the toilet just constantly dribbles water out it’s refill outlet. It’s one of those dual flush systems with two buttons (which I hear can be prone to this) 

As the toilet unit has a flush 2 part button, can it be replaced with a handle mechanism?

10 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Yeah no materials though 

That's still a bit high them tbh. £150 a day is about average for a decorator, give or take. That's a quality one anyway and not Mick from the pub who.does a bit of everything.

Normally to get a someone in this close to xmas at very short notice would send alarms bells ringing for me. But this year is different so would give the benefit of the doubt.

You can get any idiot with a paintbrush for £100 a day.. If you want a pro you have to pay for it IMO.  I had a decorator who told me if they turn up without one of those brush boxes that stores their brushes wet through the job they are just a bloke who bought some paintbrushes.  No idea if this is true or not but he was very good.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

You can get any idiot with a paintbrush for £100 a day.. If you want a pro you have to pay for it IMO.  I had a decorator who told me if they turn up without one of those brush boxes that stores their brushes wet through the job they are just a bloke who bought some paintbrushes.  No idea if this is true or not but he was very good.

Haha yeah this is true. They're called Brush Mates. Couldn't cope without it

8 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Not skirting but doors.

A hall, stairs and landing, in a 2 bed house will usually have 5 or 6 doors. If there are spindles on the stairs they can take time. If he reckons he can paint the ceiling and walls and put 2 coats on the woodwork in 2 days, I'd be a bit suspicious. 

Have you ever seen any of his work before? 

7 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Painting and Decorating thread anyone ?? ....     :whistle:  

Trouble is we could do with a couple of ‘experts’ to answer the questions ...    I’m struggling a bit here ..   

This is what lockdown does. Talking about work on forum, roll on next year haha 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Soup said:

This is what lockdown does. Talking about work on forum, roll on next year haha 

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I was expecting;

image.jpeg.2043b4a69b5bc767ee23f31ca42c9faa.jpeg

Ooh, painter friends.

Always happy to help if you pair get stuck ...   oh ...  btw ...   I use a Brush Mate ...   us pros swear by them ..  :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

So basically I should get some more quotes? This guy seems abit dodgy 

Yes. The general advice for any work like this is to get 3 face to face quotes. It's a bit like an interview process. Asses between the one who can do the job at a reasonable price, the one who can do a good job at a reasonable price and has evidence or is recommended by word of mouth, and the pikey.

I suggest the Checkatrade website. All members have been checked and have recommendations. A bit like TripAdvisor for tradesmen.

Edited by Parafox

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Yes. The general advice for any work like this is to get 3 face to face quotes. It's a bit like an interview process. Asses between the one who can do the job at a reasonable price, the one who can do a good job at a reasonable price and has evidence or is recommended by word of mouth, and the pikey.

I suggest the Checkatrade website. All members have been checked and have recommendations. A bit like TripAdvisor for tradesmen.

Actually, I wouldn't put too much faith in Checkatrade or similar sites. I've known people who've had crap tradesmen from them. You never know how true the reviews are.

Your best bet is to get a recommendation from a friend who's employed them before.

• Like 3

I am a little dubious and reluctant to use Checkatrade etc. If tradesmen are having to advertise themselves for work, it's often a reflection of their work. I would much rather someone who gets their work via word of mouth, even if it means waiting a bit longer.

Checkatrade etc are full of Gypo's with glowing reports.....It works for them, why not others.

33 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Got drunk last night and ate a tub of raw chicken.

No ill effects as of yet so have i got away with it or is the worst still to come?

Could take up to 7 days, but yeah you'll probably get ill. Raw chicken can carry numerous bacteria that'll make you sick.

BTW, how drunk were you? Theres nothing appetising about raw chicken.

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Could take up to 7 days, but yeah you'll probably get ill. Raw chicken can carry numerous bacteria that'll make you sick.

BTW, how drunk were you? Theres nothing appetising about raw chicken.

Drunk enough not to read the label on the tub. It was fillets in bread crumbs so i assumed it was ok. Tasted fine and to be honest i'd be none the wiser if the missus hadnt pointed out to me it was raw.

• Haha 1