Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

You could make a throwaway reddit account and try posting in r/legaladvice.  Is it pertaining to UK or EU law? because if the former there's also r/legaladviceuk, idk if there's an EU specific one.

Thanks, it will be regarding uk law. I think I'm going to be sacked for working from Spain 

• Sad 2

Genuinely interested in this one, hopefully someone here can offer an informed answer:

How come ambulances and paramedic vehicles aren't running on red diesel? How come farmers and people pretending they own a farm vehicle can load up on cheap fuel but we're denying this cost saving potential from NHS Trusts?

On 24/09/2021 at 21:22, FoxesDeb said:

Thanks, it will be regarding uk law. I think I'm going to be sacked for working from Spain 

Interesting one this. Was having a conversation with Mrs Finners the other day about what home working for eternity means in terms of where we can and can't work. 

4 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Genuinely interested in this one, hopefully someone here can offer an informed answer:

How come ambulances and paramedic vehicles aren't running on red diesel? How come farmers and people pretending they own a farm vehicle can load up on cheap fuel but we're denying this cost saving potential from NHS Trusts?

@Parafox

8 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

It's because of the tax implications, which are supposedly notoriously complicated.

Working from Spain or ambulances?

Strikes me anything requiring diesel ought to be tax-free for the emergency services.

Just now, Daggers said:

Working from Spain or ambulances?

Strikes me anything requiring diesel ought to be tax-free for the emergency services.

Working from abroad - you can only do it for a certain amount of time in a year before it triggers tax complications.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Interesting one this. Was having a conversation with Mrs Finners the other day about what home working for eternity means in terms of where we can and can't work. 

@Parafox

No idea, but I'd be surprised if it hasn't been suggested. I know EMAS has it's own protected supply and has fuel bunkers on all it's ambulance stations as I'm sure do other ambulance trusts. 

35 minutes ago, Parafox said:

No idea, but I'd be surprised if it hasn't been suggested. I know EMAS has it's own protected supply and has fuel bunkers on all it's ambulance stations as I'm sure do other ambulance trusts. 

I'd have thought this is so, which is why I was curious, because we've had an EMAS ambulance crew doing a photo at a service station and they can frequently be seen filling at the Morrison's fuel station in Kettering.

10 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I'd have thought this is so, which is why I was curious, because we've had an EMAS ambulance crew doing a photo at a service station and they can frequently be seen filling at the Morrison's fuel station in Kettering.

I don't know why they would be filling up at a petrol stn tbh, unless Northants EMAS doesn't have bunkered fuel for some reason.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I used to live opposite an ambulance station and they had a tanker come twice a week to drop how ever many litres of fuel off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

Pretty sure that narrow boats and pleasure craft use red diesel as well. Most marinas will have red diesel for sale. Is a little strange how emergency services don't get that tax break.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Want a cat. I'm seeing prices ranging from £50 to £1000 for the same breed of cat lol, how do I spot a legit seller?

With great difficulty, kitten breeding is often ripe with abuse much like puppy breeding.  It's generally better to get them from a shelter or a friend whose cat got knocked up and is looking for homes for the offspring.

I mean yeah id rather adopt but at the same time I've not owned a cat before (always been a dog person but now want something more independent) I'd rather get the "right" cat instead of trying to do the nice thing but not being totally suited to it and vice versa. If a cat at a shelter is the right cat then that's a bonus. What prices are about right for a British shorthair roughly? I say I've had dogs but never been financially responsible for them etc

30 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I mean yeah id rather adopt but at the same time I've not owned a cat before (always been a dog person but now want something more independent) I'd rather get the "right" cat instead of trying to do the nice thing but not being totally suited to it and vice versa. If a cat at a shelter is the right cat then that's a bonus. What prices are about right for a British shorthair roughly? I say I've had dogs but never been financially responsible for them etc

It's worth checking rescue places, like redgate farm near Markfield for example. I got a kitten a few years back that had been rescued. He was only a few weeks old. I paid nothing but the vet fees to have his balls chopped off.

I've never actually known anyone charge for a standard British shorthair cat, or certainly no more than a small fee. You're not buying a pedigree dog.

Example, these are still young, doesn't look like they'll cost you a penny

https://www.leicesteranimalaid.org.uk/cats/cats/2172/lily-and-harry-

There's also plenty of kittens here

https://www.rspca.org.uk/findapet?p_p_id=petSearch2016_WAR_ptlPetRehomingPortlets&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&_petSearch2016_WAR_ptlPetRehomingPortlets_action=search#onSubmitSetHere

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

It's worth checking rescue places, like redgate farm near Markfield for example. I got a kitten a few years back that had been rescued. He was only a few weeks old. I paid nothing but the vet fees to have his balls chopped off.

I've never actually known anyone charge for a standard British shorthair cat, or certainly no more than a small fee. You're not buying a pedigree dog.

Example, these are still young, doesn't look like they'll cost you a penny

https://www.leicesteranimalaid.org.uk/cats/cats/2172/lily-and-harry-

There's also plenty of kittens here

https://www.rspca.org.uk/findapet?p_p_id=petSearch2016_WAR_ptlPetRehomingPortlets&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&_petSearch2016_WAR_ptlPetRehomingPortlets_action=search#onSubmitSetHere

Thanks, not Leicester-based so those specific links don't help too much however will check them out just to get a feel of what to look for! 

12 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Thanks, not Leicester-based so those specific links don't help too much however will check them out just to get a feel of what to look for! 

No worries.

On the second link you can amend the search to local to you, I just put Leicester because it where I am.

• Like 1

Do you have any legal expenses insurance? They usually include a free advice line; which is often surprisingly good on employment matters.

If you don't; drop me a line and I reckon I can persuade someone to give you a bit of advice. In to LEI and a LCFC fan....

Just now, The People's Hero said:

Do you have any legal expenses insurance? They usually include a free advice line; which is often surprisingly good on employment matters.

If you don't; drop me a line and I reckon I can persuade someone to give you a bit of advice. In to LEI and a LCFC fan....

Should have clarified; either separately/standalone or just as part of your household insurance policy?

I'd be surprised if there was anything specific in your contract that stated where you had to work in the event of working from home, but also I would have thought when you started working from home theyd stipulate you also be available to come to the office at times.

I hope things work out for you. I'm just curious how this came about? Did you not consult them before moving? I can't imagine moving to another country without first consulting my employee, should I intend to carry on working there. And if you did, surely the issue would have come up during that discussion? If you did speak to them, then that's possibly you saviour, if you didn't and just decided to up sticks I'm not sure you have a leg to stand on.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I'd be surprised if there was anything specific in your contract that stated where you had to work in the event of working from home, but also I would have thought when you started working from home they'd stipulate you also be available to come to the office at times.

I hope things work out for you. I'm just curious how this came about? Did you not consult them before moving? I can't imagine moving to another country without first consulting my employee, should I intend to carry on working there. And if you did, surely the issue would have come up during that discussion? If you did speak to them, then that's possibly you saviour, if you didn't and just decided to up sticks I'm not sure you have a leg to stand on.

Yes you're right, there is nothing in my contract stipulating where I need to work from, I'm guessing they didn't think it necessary! We've been told many times that we wouldn't need to go back to the office , but that's changed recently. 

And no, I didn't let them know, but I had an email from the CEO last December saying that as far as he is concerned we can work from anywhere. So I took it literally :ph34r:

Edited by FoxesDeb