Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

On 04/06/2021 at 11:01, Alf Bentley said:

1. Has anyone got any informed opinions as to what Weymouth is like as a place to live? 

2. Any idea how easy/difficult it would be to rent out a flat there for income (medium-term, not holiday let)?

3. Any recommendations for good pubs in Weymouth or surrounding area - especially ones likely to be showing the Euros?

To explain: I've visited Weymouth a couple of times and like the place, but living somewhere is a bit different. I'm wondering how friendly the locals are, what it's like out of season etc.

I'll probably stay in Leicester for a couple of years yet, until daughter is launched, but plan to move then - and I'm considering buying a flat soon & renting it out for 2-3 years before moving there (dependent on housing market and other factors).

That's not something I ever planned to do, but I didn't plan to get divorced, to have poor pension provision and to live in a world of near-zero interest rates. 

Any thoughts? Let's experiment and see if any locals have a view..... :thumbup:

@weymouthfox @Dorchester Fox @Dorset Fox  @dorsetboy  @bridport007 @Sol thewall Bamba @Bournemouth Blue @Bournemouthfox10

I love Weymouth. Been here for 30 years now. I'm from Corby originally.

I don't think there's a lot of well paid work, but if you're thinking of living somewhere to escape the hustle and bustle, then it's great.

If there is any good weather to be had in the UK, then this is the place. We seem to have our own weather/.Ecosystem? it can be pissing it down in Dorchester (7 miles away) and hot sun in Weymouth.

Lots of decent pubs for the footie, and they will probably have the biggest screens out, next to the bridge in the harbor for the Euros.

Winter's not too bad...obviously it's quieter when the Grockle's (tourists) go home, but we don't really get weather that's too bad. The pubs have live bands all year round, and NYE and Xmas are great. 

Lots of rental properties, so that shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of letting agents too.

Are you coming down soon?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bridport007 said:

I love Weymouth. Been here for 30 years now. I'm from Corby originally.

I don't think there's a lot of well paid work, but if you're thinking of living somewhere to escape the hustle and bustle, then it's great.

If there is any good weather to be had in the UK, then this is the place. We seem to have our own weather/.Ecosystem? it can be pissing it down in Dorchester (7 miles away) and hot sun in Weymouth.

Lots of decent pubs for the footie, and they will probably have the biggest screens out, next to the bridge in the harbor for the Euros.

Winter's not too bad...obviously it's quieter when the Grockle's (tourists) go home, but we don't really get weather that's too bad. The pubs have live bands all year round, and NYE and Xmas are great. 

Lots of rental properties, so that shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of letting agents too.

Are you coming down soon?

Cheers. Sounds good. Yes, visiting again soon for a bit of research.

I suppose wherever you move, social life is a lot down to the effort you make and to luck, but I've lived in a lot of areas over the years - and some are definitely more friendly to outsiders than others.

Work won't be an issue as I'm currently self-employed working from home (movable work) and will retire within a few years.

Rising house prices is a bigger issue - might have to take an early decision and rent flat out or effectively gamble on a downturn, otherwise I'll risk being priced out. Still, some great cheap flats in Middlesbrough, I expect..... :D

• Haha 1

1. Has anyone got any informed opinions as to what Weymouth is like as a place to live? 

2. Any idea how easy/difficult it would be to rent out a flat there for income (medium-term, not holiday let)?

3. Any recommendations for good pubs in Weymouth or surrounding area - especially ones likely to be showing the Euros?

To explain: I've visited Weymouth a couple of times and like the place, but living somewhere is a bit different. I'm wondering how friendly the locals are, what it's like out of season etc.

I'll probably stay in Leicester for a couple of years yet, until daughter is launched, but plan to move then - and I'm considering buying a flat soon & renting it out for 2-3 years before moving there (dependent on housing market and other factors).

That's not something I ever planned to do, but I didn't plan to get divorced, to have poor pension provision and to live in a world of near-zero interest rates. 

@weymouthfox @Dorchester Fox @Dorset Fox  @dorsetboy  @bridport007 @Sol thewall Bamba @Bournemouth Blue @Bournemouthfox10

I spent a couple of years living in Weymouth in my late teens/early twenties. 

This was back in the 70s though, so any observations would be well out of date by now,  clearly. 

Nevertheless, I really liked the place. Fantastic sea-front and beautiful country close by. And in those days at least, it had a diverse economy (still plenty of fishing etc), and didn't just rely on ripping off tourists. The sneering at 'grockles' -so widespread in the West Country - and frankly condescending and unpleasant - wasn't too bad there - though it existed. 

Dorset people struck me as a pretty close bunch. Not massively warm, but decent enough. 

Not sure I'd want to spend the rest of my life there, but as I said, I liked the place. 

Used to go to a boozer called 'The Terminus' near the station (oddly enough) where the occasional exotic mechandise could be had. Happy daze...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I suppose wherever you move, social life is a lot down to the effort you make and to luck, but I've lived in a lot of areas over the years - and some are definitely more friendly to outsiders than others.

Work won't be an issue as I'm currently self-employed working from home (movable work) and will retire within a few years.

Rising house prices is a bigger issue - might have to take an early decision and rent flat out or effectively gamble on a downturn, otherwise I'll risk being priced out. Still, some great cheap flats in Middlesbrough, I expect..... :D

Weymouth is my favourite place in the country although that's probably because I spent every childhood holiday there. 

Have some family who live close by near Puddletown and they love it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Let me know when you come down...if I can, then we could meet up for a pint in the sun :beer::scarf:

• Like 1

Sorry - only just seen this... 

Obviously in football terms, there's quite a rivalry between Weymouth and Dorchester (or at least there was until Weymouth started doing well and DTFC less so) and that colours my judgement about the place and people quite considerably. Imagine your feelings about somebody from Coventry or Derby to help you to understand!!

And I've not lived in Dorset since finishing my A levels there back in the 1980's so my knowledge mightn't be as up to date as some. I do head back to visit family and friends most years though. 

Dorset is a glorious county to live in. I think it's generally a pretty friendly place and it shouldn't be too hard to get involved in the local life. Join a skittles team - something of a pub phenomenon down there and would surely be a great way to meet a few people over a drink or four. Failing that - go and watch Dorchester Town FC play when LCFC aren't. Have a beer in the clubhouse before the game and you'll soon start up a conversation with one of the friendly locals. 

Weymouth - like a lot of seaside towns - can be pretty soulless in the winter months. But the surrounding villages are beautiful. 

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dorchester Fox said:

Sorry - only just seen this... 

Obviously in football terms, there's quite a rivalry between Weymouth and Dorchester (or at least there was until Weymouth started doing well and DTFC less so) and that colours my judgement about the place and people quite considerably. Imagine your feelings about somebody from Coventry or Derby to help you to understand!!

And I've not lived in Dorset since finishing my A levels there back in the 1980's so my knowledge mightn't be as up to date as some. I do head back to visit family and friends most years though. 

Dorset is a glorious county to live in. I think it's generally a pretty friendly place and it shouldn't be too hard to get involved in the local life. Join a skittles team - something of a pub phenomenon down there and would surely be a great way to meet a few people over a drink or four. Failing that - go and watch Dorchester Town FC play when LCFC aren't. Have a beer in the clubhouse before the game and you'll soon start up a conversation with one of the friendly locals. 

Weymouth - like a lot of seaside towns - can be pretty soulless in the winter months. But the surrounding villages are beautiful. 

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.. 

Used to watch Weymouth play fairly regularly when I lived down there in the 70s. It was a tight ground (the old Recreation Ground) with a pretty good atmosphere at times in the Gasworks End. Remember Mike Trebilcock playing for them and Alan Skirton. 

Could get quite tasty when they played local sides, like Poole Town, Yeovil or Dorchester, as you say. Though I think Dorchester were in a different league then. One of my mates, a lad called Archer, played for Dorchester by the way. Which didn't go down too well in the local boozers when we went out. 

Still keep half an eye on the Terra's results. Remember Steve Claridge going there as manager, and doing well, though I think a change of owner did for him.

Used to be a great walk to the ground, past the harbour. Felt a bit sad when they moved...

Phones/tablets have/had less memory capacity and processing power because of the smaller size, so need more streamlined operating systems to work within those limitations. Plus they need to be quicker and simpler than a PC for anyone to be able to use. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SystonFox said:

I made some yorkie pud mix earlier. Was too much for my four portion tray.... can I use the remained to make pancakes for breakfast?

Basically, yes. Slightly different amounts, but basically the same.

Also, you could just make another batch of Yorkie puds, and freeze them. Defrost them when you have your next meal, and just pop them back in the oven for 2 mins.

We often do this at Xmas if we are cooking for loads of people. Make several batches up, defrost them and reheat.  They taste just as good as when fresh.

Edited by Big Dave
  • Like 1

Really weird question - recently bought my first ever HD TV as my my trusted old TV packed in. Is there any way to make the HD less highly defined if that makes any sense? It’s like watching a play rather than a television series.

15 minutes ago, oakman said:

Really weird question - recently bought my first ever HD TV as my my trusted old TV packed in. Is there any way to make the HD less highly defined if that makes any sense? It’s like watching a play rather than a television series.

Do you wear glasses?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, oakman said:

Maybe ask one of the nurses to wheel you back to your room so the other residents can watch TV in peace?

(I'm joking just in case you are actually quite old) 

47 minutes ago, oakman said:

Sod the lot of you, I’ll forget the television tonight and listen to the phonograph instead.

For a serious answer, check in the picture settings that there isn't something called Motion Smoothing or something to that effect including the word "Motion" turned on. That artficially adds duplicate frames and makes it feel very "unreal" on anything but fast moving sports stuff. 

That's maybe why you're noticing it. For general stuff like talking/walking it looks quite unnatural, like it's 100 frames per second and everyone is floating around too smooth. 

If you post what type/model it is I can check what the setting is called for you. 

Whilst checking some pics taken by a trail cam in a nearby wood I got these  ..   the first pic shows nothing then the second shows this weird shape ...  the third then shows nothing again the same as the first ..  any ideas ???      Spooky weird ...  :unsure:

RCNX0094.jpg

RCNX0095.jpg

5 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Whilst checking some pics taken by a trail cam in a nearby wood I got these  ..   the first pic shows nothing then the second shows this weird shape ...  the third then shows nothing again the same as the first ..  any ideas ???      Spooky weird ...  :unsure:

RCNX0094.jpg

RCNX0095.jpg

Haha, love that.

Got one set up in my garden hoping to catch the hedgehogs and foxes I know are around. So far all I have is my cat taking a shit and some pigeons.

• Haha 1