Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Can you give additional notice when resigning from a job?

I've been offered a job that starts in January, but I'm only on 4 weeks notice. Do I have to hang on until to December to hand it in?

From what I've read on CAB, it seems as though you can give extra notice unless your contract states otherwise. I haven't found anything specific in my contract. 

1 minute ago, RonnieTodger said:

Can you give additional notice when resigning from a job?

I've been offered a job that starts in January, but I'm only on 4 weeks notice. Do I have to hang on until to December to hand it in?

From what I've read on CAB, it seems as though you can give extra notice unless your contract states otherwise. I haven't found anything specific in my contract. 

My unqualified but educated guess is that you can hand your resignation in whenever you like providing you are prepared to work the 4 weeks notice. Your employer may have a different view though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

My unqualified but educated guess is that you can hand your resignation in whenever you like providing you are prepared to work the 4 weeks notice. Your employer may have a different view though.

Yeah, I want to do right by them and inform them with adequate time for a replacement but then the cynic in me says that they could issue notice to me and leave me without work for almost a month.

35 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Yeah, I want to do right by them and inform them with adequate time for a replacement but then the cynic in me says that they could issue notice to me and leave me without work for almost a month.

Trust your inner cynic :). From experience here in the US when I thought I was doing my employer a favor. More is not always better.

• 2 weeks later...

We were quoted €3000 for a job to be done for us, now it's almost completed the bloke has told us he got the initial quote wrong, and it should have been €4000. Is that our problem or his? 

The job was to erect a fly free enclosure at the side of our house, and it's pretty much built, he's coming to finish up tomorrow. His was the only quote we got as he came recommended, so we have no idea if he's right, or just trying to get more money out of us. 

I want to tell him we don't have any more money and suggest he takes it down again... 

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

We were quoted €3000 for a job to be done for us, now it's almost completed the bloke has told us he got the initial quote wrong, and it should have been €4000. Is that our problem or his? 

The job was to erect a fly free enclosure at the side of our house, and it's pretty much built, he's coming to finish up tomorrow. His was the only quote we got as he came recommended, so we have no idea if he's right, or just trying to get more money out of us. 

I want to tell him we don't have any more money and suggest he takes it down again... 

That's a tough one, legally speaking, I really don't know.

In fairness to the tradesman, my neighbour is a builder and has been telling me how the cost of materials has absolutely shot through the roof and he's had to explain this to customers he's previously quoted and that the price of the work will rise.

If he's quoted you and agreed that, that's not your problem though.

It would work massively in your favour if you have the quote in writing.

• Like 1

Not sure if there's any plumbers on here or anyone with any plumbing knowledge - this started recently but when we flush our upstairs toilet, there's a loud humming noise that comes along with it, it's not coming directly from the toilet but I think in the walls/pipework or somewhere. Almost like a vibrating humming but it's really loud and lasts for about a minute or so after flushing.

This happened for a while a few years back but after a week or so it just stopped on its own - any idea what it could be?

16 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Not sure if there's any plumbers on here or anyone with any plumbing knowledge - this started recently but when we flush our upstairs toilet, there's a loud humming noise that comes along with it, it's not coming directly from the toilet but I think in the walls/pipework or somewhere. Almost like a vibrating humming but it's really loud and lasts for about a minute or so after flushing.

This happened for a while a few years back but after a week or so it just stopped on its own - any idea what it could be?

Could be a worn ball/flush valve/washer. If you have an isolating valve or stop tap fitted to the feed to the cistern, try closing it slightly and see if it makes a difference.

I had one similar to your description and this cured it, but I had to replace the whole flush valve on another.

4 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Could be a worn ball/flush valve/washer. If you have an isolating valve or stop tap fitted to the feed to the cistern, try closing it slightly and see if it makes a difference.

I had one similar to your description and this cured it, but I had to replace the whole flush valve on another.

Thanks for the response! I'll give this a go this evening and see if it makes a difference.

It's just weird as the noise isn't coming from the actual toilet but like in the walls but you hear it through the whole house, never had anything like it.

34 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Thanks for the response! I'll give this a go this evening and see if it makes a difference.

It's just weird as the noise isn't coming from the actual toilet but like in the walls but you hear it through the whole house, never had anything like it.

Yeah, it's a vibration of the pipes which will be worse where the longest unclipped length of pipe is. It can sound like a knocking or in your case, a humming which can actually be quite loud.

• Thanks 1

On 09/11/2021 at 07:32, SystonFox said:

Why is it only rugby lads that wear the oddballs bobble hats? They’re everywhere

I own quite a lot of oddballs if I'm honest. 

The marketing did start within rugby league and awareness to Cancer through the sport/brand. 

As its got bigger its moved into other sports but its generally the rugby teams that have it in shops etc 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Buce said:

It's a liquor made from the Agave plant.

Tequilla is a type of Mezcal.

Thanks for the info. The only reason I ask is Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul from breaking bad have brought put their own Mezcal called Dos Hombres.  I could've just googled it but I like using foxestalk for info

On 17/11/2021 at 19:55, FoxesDeb said:

Did  he discuss the extra charge with you prior to completion or did he just state this at the end.

Let's take this scenario...

You get something from john lewis stating £100.

You go to the cashier to pay and cashier says

"It was £100 when we bought it in a few months ago but materials have gone up and it's now £140".

Its not on UNLESS the builder expressed his concerns about the extra charge to YOU before the completion  AND you agreed.

• Thanks 1

On 24/09/2021 at 21:22, FoxesDeb said:

Thanks, it will be regarding uk law. I think I'm going to be sacked for working from Spain 

What happened with this if you don’t mind me asking? 

A bloke at my work has been doing something similar, working from home but he’s been doing it from his holiday home abroad. Nobody knew until he was asked to attend a training day and he said he couldn’t make it lol 

• Haha 1

On 17/11/2021 at 19:55, FoxesDeb said:

From the Citizens Advice Website - but for here not Spain 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

A quote is a promise from the contractor to do the work at a fixed price. Don’t rely on a verbal quote - get it in writing.

Some contractors charge for quotes - ask about this first.

Try to get written quotes from at least 3 different contractors before you decide on one. Comparing quotes will help you decide if you’re getting a fair price.

After you say yes to a quote, it’s a binding agreement between you and the contractor, whether it’s written down or not. But having it in writing means you can check what you agreed and prove it if there’s a dispute later.

Quotes and estimates

Make sure you get a quote, not an estimate. A quote is a fixed price, so you'll know what you’re getting and how much it will cost. An estimate is just a rough guess, so you could end up paying more.

The contractor can’t charge you more than the price on their quote unless:

• you ask for extra work that’s not included in the quote
  • they let you know they have to do extra work and you agree to pay more for it
  • they made a genuine mistake when writing down or calculating the price - they have the legal right to charge you what it should have been

• Thanks 1

Just now, Steve_Walsh5 said:

A bloke at my work has been doing something similar, working from home but he’s been doing it from his holiday home abroad. Nobody knew until he was asked to attend a training day and he said he couldn’t make it lol 

Well, they told me I can't continue and that if I want to keep my job I need to return to the UK. They put me on a sabbatical for 8 weeks 6 weeks ago to give me time to move back, and so they're expecting me back at work in 2 weeks time, from the UK. 

I obviously have no intention of returning to the UK, so I expect they'll start the disciplinary process when the 8 weeks are up and they see I'm still here lol I'll keep you posted! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Well, they told me I can't continue and that if I want to keep my job I need to return to the UK. They put me on a sabbatical for 8 weeks 6 weeks ago to give me time to move back, and so they're expecting me back at work in 2 weeks time, from the UK. 

I obviously have no intention of returning to the UK, so I expect they'll start the disciplinary process when the 8 weeks are up and they see I'm still here lol I'll keep you posted! 

I hope everything works out ok for you. If I was living in Spain I would have no intention of moving back to the Uk for a job lol 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Praying for Boris to announce WFH for the foreseeable again lol

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I really hope it all works out for you and I can see why you wouldn't want to go back. I'm as Leicester as they come and it'll always be my home but living in Spain kicks ass. Finger's crossed for you

• Thanks 1