Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Is it like for like? Do you currently have an electric oven in situ? Will the new oven require any new wiring? 

Basically moved house this summer and the electric oven here has half of it as a grill thing. We want a full oven so we can fit a roast in etc. We will just be replacing it like for like but the different style. Not sure on the wiring. I’ll have a look later.

Edited by Unabomber

1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

Basically moved house this summer and the electric oven here has half of it as a grill thing. We want a full oven so we can fit a roast in etc. We will just be replacing it like for like but the different style. Not sure on the wiring. I’ll have a look later.

Basically, you can make like for like changes yourself, but if you're making new you'll need a contractor. 

That said, almost anywhere you're going to be buying an oven from these days probably has an installation service. 

Unless money is really quite tight, it's probably worth the extra expenditure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Basically, you can make like for like changes yourself, but if you're making new you'll need a contractor. 

That said, almost anywhere you're going to be buying an oven from these days probably has an installation service. 

Unless money is really quite tight, it's probably worth the extra expenditure. 

Cheers. Also looking and there is so much choice with new ovens. Surely all electric ones are all pretty much the same?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Cheers. Also looking and there is so much choice with new ovens. Surely all electric ones are all pretty much the same?

That bit I can't help with! I'd ditch mine for gas in a heartbeat if there was gas in my building. Mine takes a thousand years to heat up. 

Edited by Finnegan

On 27/10/2021 at 21:15, FoxesDeb said:

Lidl and Aldi do them, they're usually down the 'middle' bit though, in a cardboard box 

On 27/10/2021 at 21:32, Parafox said:

Yeah so I've been told. Couldnt find any

Must be one of the occasional things they have like bread bins or diving helmets 😂

Finally found some in Aldi... between the bread bins and the inflatable dolls. I only bought the lens wipes... might go back later when it's dark :ph34r:

I'm not a gambling man so perhaps that's why I don't fully understand odds, chance and so on. but with this in mind, I am bemused with the situation I find myself in.

I'm going into hospital in the coming weeks for a procedure to, hopefully, correct a fault in my ticker. No opening up is necessary, just a few hundred volts! :blink:

Now, I've been told by the hospital, and indeed read, that the success rate is as high as 95%. Very good odds, I would think. But I have now spoken to 3 other people (1 in a waiting room at the hospital & 2 friends who have had heart problems) who have had this procedure and it failed to work for any of them. They ended up with pace makers. If the success rate is so high, what is the chance of the only 3 people I've discussed it with, having no success?

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

2 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I'm not a gambling man so perhaps that's why I don't fully understand odds, chance and so on. but with this in mind, I am bemused with the situation I find myself in.

I'm going into hospital in the coming weeks for a procedure to, hopefully, correct a fault in my ticker. No opening up is necessary, just a few hundred volts! :blink:

Now, I've been told by the hospital, and indeed read, that the success rate is as high as 95%. Very good odds, I would think. But I have now spoken to 3 other people (1 in a waiting room at the hospital & 2 friends who have had heart problems) who have had this procedure and it failed to work for any of them. They ended up with pace makers. If the success rate is so high, what is the chance of the only 3 people I've discussed it with, having no success?

The 95% success rate for cardioversion is its immediate success rate to stop that episode. When they said it failed to work, it's possible that it worked for a few hours/days (counting as a statistical success), but then the issue recurred, eventually needing a permanent solution in a pacemaker (which to them, counts as a failure).

Also, the person at the hospital may not have been there if his previous procedure had been successful. So people you meet at the hospital are more likely to have had issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, brucey said:

The 95% success rate for cardioversion is its immediate success rate to stop that episode. When they said it failed to work, it's possible that it worked for a few hours/days (counting as a statistical success), but then the issue recurred, eventually needing a permanent solution in a pacemaker (which to them, counts as a failure).

Also, the person at the hospital may not have been there if his previous procedure had been successful. So people you meet at the hospital are more likely to have had issues.

That would explain it, especially the 95% 'success' rate.

I suppose you can get the numbers to paint a picture of whatever you want, or at least indicate better outcomes.

On 28/10/2021 at 13:03, Unabomber said:

Get the NEFF slide and hide, weve got two effectively on top of each other. Superb ovens, clean themselves, loads of different cooking programmes. It will even prove your bread if your a baker (I'm not) 

18 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I had cardioversion for atrial fibrillation about 21 months ago and that seems to have been successful so far. Although, I've now got a mild case of atrial flutter again (similar but slightly different condition - you may be familiar with them), so I'm on the list to go back at some point for another catheter ablation. This is a procedure I've already had twice.

What @bruceysaid sounds right to me. My understanding is that cardioversion is extremely low risk and has a high rate of success at correcting problems initially. Depending on luck and the condition of your heart, the problem may stay corrected for years or a problem may recur within hours, days or months. My Mum had the same underlying heart problem as me (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) and had cardioversion in her early 70s. It corrected her heart rhythm for about 2 years, but it then went out of rhythm again and cardioversion didn't work for more than a few hours for her second time round.

Depending on your heart condition, if cardioversion doesn't work for you, they might consider catheter ablation before moving to a pacemaker. Again, catheter ablation doesn't involve opening you up, just inserting a catheter into a vein in your groin, feeding it up into the heart and using an electrode to burn away unwanted electrical connections in the heart. I was awake but partly sedated both times they did this - and ended up going home that night first time, stayed in one night second time. Again, this procedure was successful for 1-2 years, but needs redoing now.

For my cardioversion, they only decided to do it during the catheter ablation procedure. They told me they were going to do it as they couldn't identify the source of the atrial fibrillation problem. So they gave me a bit more sedation and next thing I knew was waking up on the ward 2-3 hours later. Feel free to ask or PM if you want - and I believe @Crinklyfoxhas been through the same or similar procedures? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Could anybody tell me the approximate/ballpark price it would be to have a toilet and sink completely removed?  We have a downstairs Toilet/Sink in an old outhouse connected to the kitchen which we rarely use and would prefer the space for storage.  

You could get a plumber to do it, would take him probably 30 mins if that - Maybe charge you £100 or you could do it yourself, youtube and some towels and a wrench. It's quite easy.

30 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Get the NEFF slide and hide, weve got two effectively on top of each other. Superb ovens, clean themselves, loads of different cooking programmes. It will even prove your bread if your a baker (I'm not) 

Cheers will a big turkey fit in it? Also do the places you buy from install the oven?

Just now, Unabomber said:

Cheers will a big turkey fit in it? Also do the places you buy from install the oven?

Yes - its a standard oven, no problem with a Turkey. 

We got ours when we had a new kitchen fitted, so was through the kitchen supplier. Ask at a place like John Lewis, try Marks Eletrical too.

21 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I was in persistent (full-time) af in 1995 so was given a DC cardioversion to break me out of it.  It was carried out under general anaesthetic without any other accompanying procedure and after I came to I was monitored for a couple of hours with my heart now in sinus rhythm, then I went home with nothing more than a small burn mark on my chest.  My cardiologist had given me a couple of years max before I'd have a stroke if I didn't undergo the procedure so I went for it.  It was successful at getting me out of persistent af, but I kept returning to periodic bouts of af after the event.  It took a couple of years of trying me on different medication combinations before I was able to largely live my life out of af.  At that time Tambocor (flecanide acetate) and Bisoprolol (beta blocker) proved the most effective.  I've never needed another cardioversion since or had an ablation as these days I only go into af a few times every year, and I self-correct to sinus rhythm within a few hours.  I don't have a pacemaker.  And obviously I'm still here 25 years after my diagnosis and the cardioversion.

The other medication I'm on is blood thinners (Rivaroxaban), if you haven't been prescribed blood thinners yet you may well be.  That's because during af static pools of blood can occur where clots can form which can then cause problems when they begin to move through the arteries and veins.

A cardioversion can get you out of af but it doesn't always address the underlying (electrical) cause which was the case for me.  If the drugs I'm taking hadn't worked then an ablation would have been the next step, a higher success rate but still far from 100%, and the procedure has to be repeated several times for some patients.

If I was in the same position as I was in 1995 again, I'd go for the cardioversion without hesitation.  Af messed up my life, both physically and mentally, and when I became almost af-free it was like getting my life back.  My cardiologist gave me a list of do's and don'ts to keep me as healthy as possible, and I follow them.  They include regular light exercise, no smoking (not a problem for me), avoiding over-eating and over-drinking (so four pints and a curry has been off the menu for years).

I'm no expert but a friend of mine has had af too and his experience was different to mine, however he benefitted from his treatment.  I don't think the doctors know how an individual will react long term to the various procedures available but there are enough options out there for them to be able to make the best decisions for a patients circumstances.  So your cardioversion may be all you need, but if it isn't there are more procedures and medicines that can help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Is the Fox's team bus run by Ellison's with the reg FC08 FOX? If so I passed it on the A46 yesterday, presumably on it's way to Seagrave.

I think so. Has blue neon lights underneath. 

Passed it on the way back from West Ham a couple of months ago.

If it isn't the team bus, and you travel on it, I unreservedly apologise for calling you a bunch of useless bastards somewhere around junction 9 on the M1 :thumbup:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I think so. Has blue neon lights underneath. 

Passed it on the way back from West Ham a couple of months ago.

If it isn't the team bus, and you travel on it, I unreservedly apologise for calling you a bunch of useless bastards somewhere around junction 9 on the M1 :thumbup:

Are you referring to our team after the match with Spartak?