Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

I actually quite like Mark Hughes, took a battering at QPR then went to a difficult job at Stoke with his reputation in tatters and needing to change a philosophy and he's done that whilst performing better than the man before him.

Obviously got some steel and belief in himself.

Edited by Corky

Reading the Oakcake forum it seems most are saying

"Leicester have played well so far this season and they'll stay up comfortably, but their team is full of championship players and I think we'll beat them easily"

They seem to contradict themselves. No team full of "Championship standard players" would stay up comfortably in this league. And any club looking likely to stay up comfortably shouldn't be a club Stoke are going to be beating with ease.

I genuinely can't call the game. I think both teams should be thinking they can win this, but neither team should be overly confident of winning either.

It's interesting - Stoke are strong at home but by many of their own fans' admission, they've struggled in games where they've seen a lot of the ball.

They did fantastically well to beat Man City 1-0 at the Etihad but a home defeat to Villa and just a point at 10-man Hull are hardly good results. They're hard to weigh up at the minute.

On the other hand, we've played excellently against three of the league's best teams and come away with two very credible points.

Stoke have an excellent home record in recent years but our 'shortcomings' in the last three games in terms of points, could fire us up to win here. Again, we could be buoyed by the revenge 'factor' too. 

Stoke's side's nothing special and I'm sure they feel the same about ours. I honestly think both sets of supporters have a good reason to be optimistic here but as I'm a Leicester fan, I can see an away win on the cards.

This was the Stoke team and squad in their first Premier League match:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7551165.stm

Hardly a bunch of household names and proven Premier League players, they were probably given the same comments as we have now. But they believed they could stay up through their management and playing style as well as team spirit, presumably. So they are no different to us at the moment.

Except we play much better football than they did.

Starting 11 plus subs v Man City

Asmir Begovic

Phil Bardsley

Ryan Shawcross

Marc Wilson

Erik Pieters

Glenn Whelan

Stephen Nzonzi

Victor Moses

Mame Biram Diouf

Jonathan Walters

Peter Crouch

Jonathan Walters has been their star player for the past few years, I think that sums up just how average a group of players they have.

People are lauding Bardsley, really?

I take it they've not seen any of our football in the first 3 games, much less pretty much any footage from last season then

I agree but we are being just as bad on here. If their "average" what the fuk does that make us, they finished 9th last season and just did the Champions in their own back yard.

Tough place to go I'd take a point. Hopefully we can put a performance in and smash and grab it up but I'd be more than happy with a point.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 1

I agree but we are being just as bad on here. If their "average" what the fuk does that make us, they finished 9th last season and just did the Champions in their own back yard.

Tough place to go I'd take a point. Hopefully we can put a performance in and smash and grab it up but I'd be more than happy with a point.

Agreed, tough place to go, offer me a point now I think I 'd take it.

Fair point. We need another thread that just highlights the bullshit that we come out!