Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

They are confident and I can see why after their last result.

However I think they (the stoke fans) are completely underestimating us. I can see a very lively attacking game...they are the home team and will come at us from the off. Interesting to see how NP sets up against them. I doubt sparky or his players are as deluded as some of their fans and will know exactly how dangerous we are.

However I think they (the stoke fans) are completely underestimating us. I can see a very lively attacking game...they are the home team and will come at us from the off. Interesting to see how NP sets up against them. I doubt sparky or his players are as deluded as some of their fans and will know exactly how dangerous we are.

Mentioned Nugent though and unlike Wood has not scored.

Like I say just a passing mention when talking about playing well but not taking chances against Chelsea. I don't think any other player not signed this summer other than Nugent was mentioned, so clearly just highlighted that part of our season so far.

This was the Stoke team and squad in their first Premier League match:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7551165.stm

Hardly a bunch of household names and proven Premier League players, they were probably given the same comments as we have now. But they believed they could stay up through their management and playing style as well as team spirit, presumably. So they are no different to us at the moment.

Way too many of them trying to claim that we know eff all about their team to disguise the fact they have no actual argument to give explaining why we shouldn't feel confident of at least a point here... because they know eff all about our team.  Looneys.

The hypocrisy on that stoke thread is comical

"Looks like they are well under estimating us "

"They genuinely think their squad is really strong. Cripes they are easily impressed. I haven't heard of most of those players."

These are my 2 favourite comments.

I think it'll be a hard game against Stoke but if we stay solid at the back we could nick a goal on the break.  1-0.

Not an unreasonable thing to say, but highlights how I think like most fans, which is to underestimate the opposition and see the outcome in favourable terms.  If fans thought they would lose away games, then apart from seeing a top ground every now and again, no one would go to away matches.

The fact remains, however, that there is no reason why we should give Stoke any more respect than we gave Everton, Chelsea or Arsenal and points picked up against teams potentially around us will determine our season.

If anything, rather than delusions of grandeur on our part, they seem complacent about being a PL team.  This is how I felt right before the wheels fell off and we ended up on our arses in the Championship.

Advantage us I think.

• Like 1

Starting 11 plus subs v Man City

Asmir Begovic

Phil Bardsley

Ryan Shawcross

Marc Wilson

Erik Pieters

Glenn Whelan

Stephen Nzonzi

Victor Moses

Mame Biram Diouf

Jonathan Walters

Peter Crouch

Subs

Thomas Sørensen

Robert Huth

Marc Muniesa

Peter Odemwingie

Charlie Adam

Bojan

Marko Artnautovic

Not included on the squad

Geoff Cameron

Wilson Palacios

Ousamna Assaidi

Stephen Ireland

Steve Sidwell

Jack Butland

Andy Wilkinson

I'd suggest if you've followed the premier league every season and only know Crouch and Bojan out of that lot, you're not paying attention.

• Like 1

I'd suggest if you've followed the premier league every season and only know Crouch and Bojan out of that lot, you're not paying attention.

I know a few more now that you've listed them. But I would have struggled to name many more, they're so blah.

You sound like a school teacher

If you pick a combined team I reckon you'd get 5 or 6 (at a push) City players in it.

- Kasper vs Begovic is close

- De Laet or Simpson both ahead of Bardsley for me

- Morgan over Wilson without a shadow of a doubt

- Drinkwater (in fact any one of our midfield) over Whelan

- Mahrez over Walters

- Ulloa over Crouch

Out of the newly promoted clubs though, Leicester are the team I would expect us to beat the most comfortable. They shouldn't be able to cope with our width and pace because their fullbacks (entire defence really) are still very much Championship players and our class should shine through.

Oh dear.

If you pick a combined team I reckon you'd get 5 or 6 (at a push) City players in it.

- Mahrez over Walters

- Ulloa over Crouch

Begovic is better than KS and hes my fav player. 

Ulloa similar to Crouch 

the rest I agree with you

I'm loving the fact that both over at Oatcake and here the theme very much seems to be "what planet are those bellends on, they are massively underestimating us". Only means one thing - both sets of fans are optimistic and confident about the season ahead.

Personally, I've a lot of respect for Stoke. They've earned their stay in the Premier League and I see the trip to Britannia as a really tough game. Nobody enjoys playing there - not even the top teams. Lets not forget that Stoke finished 9th last season - 17 points clear of relegation. They only lost three games at home - the best home record outside the top five.

For me, getting anything at the likes of Stoke is what being back in the Premier League is all about for us. If we want to survive (and to establish ourselves) at this level, we need to be able to fight and hopefully even get something from teams that are in a similar position to us - hoping for a mid-table finish. Getting anything at Stoke would be a fantastic result. Make no mistake, Stoke away is as tough as it gets. 

Still, having said all that, I'm confident that we are capable of sneaking something there.

I trust Nige and his tactics. He's got it pretty much right so far this season - including subs - and he now has a couple of extra cogs to consider in the mechanics of the team - Cambiasso, Simpson and Powell as brand new faces while Vardy, Drinky, and Albrighton now should be ready for 90 minutes if needed. Looking forward to it - this game could tell us much more about our chances this season than a draw against a pretty poor Arsenal team last week. 

- Mahrez over Walters

- Ulloa over Crouch

Begovic and Bardsley without doubt are stronger than our options. 

The others are close, but you make certain weaker choices to support your points when you could've picked N'Zonzi or Shawcross for example. See what you're saying though.

Their fans come across like morons on that forum  although I know a lot of Stoke fans who are great. 

Edited by sdb

Oh dear.

I laughed at that one!

9 points ahead of a Burnley side whose biggest signing has been George Boyd and 22 points ahead of QPR last season, not to mention two draws from three of last season's top five. I just hope Hughes is as arrogant as their fans, we'll batter them if he is.

Drinkwater, Morgan and Mahrez would waltz into that Stoke team, but their quality is obvious in other positions - Shawcross and Begovic are both better than any of our players as is Arnautovic when he decides to bother.

They should be expecting to beat us at home. Everybody should be expecting to beat us at home.