Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoeyB

Football manager 2012 -IPad

Started as Heidenheim in the German Third Division.

1st season - Won the league. Was predicted to finish 9th.

2nd season - Finished 4th in the Second Division. Lost to Kaiserslaurten in the play-off 4-0 on agg.

3rd season - Finished top.

4th season - Finished 15th in the Bundesliga. Just about survived.

5th season - Finished 4th. Lost out on CL football on the last day (was 3rd). Ended up getting knocked out in the Europa League group stage.

6th season - Finished 3rd. Lost in CL play-off qualification against Juventus. About to qualify from the Europa League group stage.

Pretty crazy considering how quickly we've established ourselves in the top 4 of the Bundesliga. Currently have a 15,000 seater stadium. Well, infact, only 9,000 seated. Nightmare in European matches.

Due to move into a new 19k all seater stadium. Youth and training facilites are finally being improved. My favourite FM so far.

That sounds awesome i was thinking of starting a german league save but probualy in the bundesliga not sure though

I make my own and have promised to upload a couple for someone but I've just been busy.

Will try and stick them up later if I can remember.

What formations do you use?

Alright, having spent the last nine or ten months tweaking and perfecting my tactics what follows are my two main finished products. They've brought me a lot of success and the latter of the two is possibly my favourite Football Manager tactic to date, I will certainly be starting with it on 13. It is, however, a little more dependent on you having the right personnel.

1. Attacking 4 5 1 / 4 3 3:

Download me.

For the less adventurous / trusting, this is a fairly standard attacking 4 5 1. It's less direct than a lot of my usual tactics and tends to yield fairly high possession stats. You'll need players that are reasonably competent passers of the ball with a good first touch but no more so than any other possession tactic. Certainly, Champ and Prem quality teams should be fine with it.

It's currently set up so the AML is better as a right-footed, goal-scoring inside forward type and the AMR is a more conventional winger; however on my last St. Pauli save they were both banging in quite a lot of goals.

The CM is the main play-maker in regards spraying balls around but the AMC is the closest I've gotten to a Mesut Ozil style drifting treq and he'll sit nicely behind the ST pulling in a tidy amount of assists and goals. Try and play an AMC with good finishing and dribbling or it'll be a bit of a waste and make sure you knock his long shots down if he's shit from range.

Lastly, the ST will find himself on the end of a lot of through-balls. A poacher-type with pace and good off the ball movement will by far be the leading scorer for the team. In fact, if the tactic has one weakness it's that it's a little overly focused on getting goals for your ST.

Overall I'd say it's vaguely reminiscent of Eto'o and Henry's Barcelona era, a lot of possession and passing football but with more clinical through balls and a little less patience than the 'tiki-taka' of today. I've taken St. Pauli to consecutive Champs League and Bundesliga titles with this formation and I'm confident it works.

2. Symmetry Is For Pussies:

Download me.

This started off as a complete experiment. I'd been reading a couple of blogs floating around the FM community that were experimenting with "wonky" formations used to create space in opposition defenses. I was also inspired by the Euros and wanted a fast-attacking formation in the spirit of the German national side with pacey, counter-attacking players complimented by a deep lying playmaker and anchorman (a la Schweinsteiger / Khedeira.)

So I came up with this:

fksym.jpg

I will be honest, I was not initially expecting it to produce the results it did. I was cynical about leaving what I thought were too big gaps between attack and defence, I was concerned the left flank would be completely vulnerable and I thought the wing-backs would be caught out far too often - resulting in a defensive white-wash. I also didn't really believe what I'd read, that over-loading the left hand side of the attack would leave a lot of space for the AMR to exploit.

I was wrong on both accounts.

Defensively, if you've got the right personnel it is very solid. The DMCR is your destroyer, your anchor-man, someone like Kara is completely ideal here. He's your ball winner and interceptor. DMCL is your play-maker, he often won't get rave reviews but a lot of your team's passing will go through him and he'll spray a lot of balls around.

This is a fast, direct, pacey formation all about attacking AND counter-attacking. I've never seen such fast goals come from back-to-front attacks on FM.

The AMCL set to IF acts as a sort of mix between advanced playmaker and left winger. He'll drift between the two roles but he'll also move through the two strikers (because of the way they're aligned) and make a lot of runs behind the defence if he's got good acceleration and off the ball. I've got Erick Torres there at the moment for Leicester and he's getting a LOT of goals because he's almost always unmarked when he pushes forward.

The AMR is the player that will most exploit the space given to him by the system. You'll find the opposition left back drifting inside a lot and giving him a lot of room to run forward. He rarely attacks the line, he'll very frequently come inside. I strongly recommend a left footed player for this, someone with Curls Ball and a reasonable long shot on him will be absolutely devastating but even if you can't find a player with those traits any good left footed finisher will thrive in that role. If you don't have a suitable AMR it should be possible to completely mirror-image this formation for a suitable AML but that will take a lot of tweaking.

The STCL (AF) is the reason the AMR gets so much space. He's your most forward, advanced player and is the only "true" striker in the system. You want a fast, poacher-type here with good off-ball movement and pace. He'll frequently pull the defenders right out of position. He'll also get himself on a lot of through-balls if you have him breaking offside traps. He'll compete with the AMR for top goal scorer.

The STC may underwhelm you at times but he's integral. He's sort of like your Leo Messi. A deep lying striker who'll drop into the midfield often bringing defenders with him. When the AMR (or AMCL) push wide for crosses he's also the central striker so you'll find he's the most frequently on the end of crosses, both aerial and drilled. Pace is less essential and he'll really benefit from creativity and decisions.

All in all, I like this system a lot and I've being using it at Betis and Leicester to great effect. It's almost rekindled my love of the game, it's very fun to watch when it all comes together. Give your team a while to get used to it, it's a little unusual at first. Also, I strongly recommend you go with the first of these two tactics if you don't have a strong, goal-scoring winger (or a strong goal scoring player you're happy to train as a winger.) Imagine this, essentially, as Christiano Ronaldo's dream formation.

Have fun and enjoy them.

Edit: Oh and, sorry, the second formation is absolutely knackering on your wing-backs so try and keep spares in your squad for good rotation. That's the only real drawback to be fair.

Anyone help me please! Why is my FM12 saying the game is currently Unavaliable on my steam?? I'm logged in etc, tried it with disk in and out, but getting the same error message?

Thanks in advance!

Try right clicking on football manager, selecting properties, going to the local files tab and verifying the integrity of the game cache. You may have to do this twice.

Then restart steam and fire up football manager, should work.

going to try the 451 formation with my dusseldorf save im in january is it to late to use it halfway thru the season and wait until next season or did ur team adapt to the formation quick?

Load it up and set it to one of your formations on the tactics screen, it'll tell you how competent your squad will be at it from the off. If they're already used to playing a one striker system with slower build up then you may be alright.

If not I'd perhaps give them a pre-season to suss it.

Still struggle to beat Newcastle. I hate playing them, especially away...

Last season (I won the Premier League) I lost one game; Newcastle away.

20 games into my current season, just played Newcastle away, and lost.

So far trying this in pre season.... trying with that "wonky" formation

Stevenage 17 - 0 Ascot

Cambridge 0 - 7 Stevenage

Derby 0 - 3 Steveange

so far so good! not the best teams but still its working for me so far!!

Cheers fin :thumbup::scarf::)

9th in the prem after getting Reading promoted. Only about 13 games gone. All our wins have come at home though, including wins over Man City and Arsenal.

Best XI:

GK - Anders Lindegaard

LB - Tsepo Masilela

CB - Alex Pearce

CB - Joseph Yobo ©

RB - Dustey Mulder

CM - Fredy Guarin

CM - Jem Karacan

LAM - Andrei Arshavin

CAM - Mauro Formica

RAM - Clint Dempsey

ST - David N'Gog or Jordan Rhodes.