Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stix

The World Football Thread

On 02/05/2017 at 08:03, MC Prussian said:

Pescara's Sulley Muntari was quite aggravated during the away game at Cagliari last weekend: Apparently, he was insulted by racist chants coming from Cagliari fans, complained about it to the referee and then got booked for complaining!

He then left the game on his own, forcing his side to finish the game with ten men. lol

Seems Garth Crooks is calling on black players to strike over this. Must have been pretty bad for him to react like this and maybe this would force the Italian FA to be more proactive.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39792319

On 02/05/2017 at 08:03, MC Prussian said:

Pescara's Sulley Muntari was quite aggravated during the away game at Cagliari last weekend: Apparently, he was insulted by racist chants coming from Cagliari fans, complained about it to the referee and then got booked for complaining!

He then left the game on his own, forcing his side to finish the game with ten men. lol

And now is banned for one match  :ph34r:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/02/sulley-muntari-ban-upheld-cagliari-racist-abuse

6 hours ago, The Blur said:

Makes sense. Punish the wrong person. Check.

If  black or any player thats experienced racism from supporters want to bring more notice to this then id fully support them sitting  down in the middle of a game.  Somethings gotta change.

Edited by Jattdogg

On 06/05/2017 at 13:29, Walkers said:

Feyenoord can win their first title in 18 years with a win tomorrow

And have just gone from 0-0 to 2-0 down in the matter of minutes with 30mins remaining

3-0.. wow

Edited by Walkers

Canadian Premier League given green light, aiming for 2018 start

It appears Canada is about to have a league of its own.

Over the weekend, Canada Soccer officials revealed that plans for the Canadian Premier League have been approved and that Hamilton and Winnipeg will be founding cities for the new division.

Canada Soccer has already stated that at least 10 cities have already expressed interest in joining the new league, which hopes to take to the field as early as 2018.

The flagship cities will be the 8th and 9th largest metro areas in Canada?  Sounds more second division than Premier, but more power to them.  Full link:

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2017/05/08/canadian-premier-league-given-green-light-aiming-for-2018-start/

Edited by KingsX

46 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Canadian Premier League given green light, aiming for 2018 start

It appears Canada is about to have a league of its own.

Over the weekend, Canada Soccer officials revealed that plans for the Canadian Premier League have been approved and that Hamilton and Winnipeg will be founding cities for the new division.

Canada Soccer has already stated that at least 10 cities have already expressed interest in joining the new league, which hopes to take to the field as early as 2018.

The flagship cities will be the 8th and 9th largest metro areas in Canada?  Sounds more second division than Premier, but more power to them.  Full link:

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2017/05/08/canadian-premier-league-given-green-light-aiming-for-2018-start/

Team right next door to me. 

Maybe they can get Kapustka on loan. Lots of Polish people in Hamilton. 

56 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Did it not have a league at all before? 

Well there's always been the CFL. But that is American football with the funny shaped ball.

Other than that, all the leagues have been joint with the US. MLS, USL and the NASL.

There was something called the Canadian Soccer League but it certainly wasn't "premier". It wasn't even professional and the teams were all in and around Toronto and frankly no one even knew about it lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

Did it not have a league at all before? 

The main Canadian football/soccer teams are all spread across different leagues and share fixtures with US sides: Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver in the MLS, Edmonton in the NASL (2nd tier), Ottawa (Fury) in the USL (3rd tier).

There's plenty of soccer teams in each province, but nothing organised on a national level. About time they changed that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

The main Canadian football/soccer teams are all spread across different leagues and share fixtures with US sides: Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver in the MLS, Edmonton in the NASL (2nd tier), Ottawa (Fury) in the USL (3rd tier).

There's plenty of soccer teams in each province, but nothing organised on a national level. About time they changed that.

We have had other leagues/teams here before  and they tend to fold. It might change this time around due to more immigrants from football loving nations (other than italy, scotland,ireland, england and portugal).

I grew up in Hamilton since moving from leicester until 6 years ago and its always had a huge following of football from the local italian, Portuguese, polish, croatian and serbian  communities. I think Hamilton  is a good place for a team but it all comes down to $.

I hope it does well but if the past holds true it wont live for long. 

3 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

We have had other leagues/teams here before  and they tend to fold. It might change this time around due to more immigrants from football loving nations (other than italy, scotland,ireland, england and portugal).

I grew up in Hamilton since moving from leicester until 6 years ago and its always had a huge following of football from the local italian, Portuguese, polish, croatian and serbian  communities. I think Hamilton  is a good place for a team but it all comes down to $.

I hope it does well but if the past holds true it wont live for long. 

I feel it won't live long either. Basing teams in two cities that don't have the cash to splash is not a good foundation. 

So they're going to compete against the MLS? Where are the players going to come from? 

I have a feeling the league won't even see the light of day. 

Just now, spacemunky said:

I feel it won't live long either. Basing teams in two cities that don't have the cash to splash is not a good foundation. 

So they're going to compete against the MLS? Where are the players going to come from? 

I have a feeling the league won't even see the light of day. 

I think we have talent but money is another thing. Used to sometimes take my youngest brother  to his under 16 REP soccer games (Hamilton Sparta) across the GTA and saw alot of talent especially in the brampton/sauga area. I think you could see alot of the kids coming from these leagues as well as other semi pro teams wanting to play in the league.

3 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

I think we have talent but money is another thing. Used to sometimes take my youngest brother  to his under 16 REP soccer games (Hamilton Sparta) across the GTA and saw alot of talent especially in the brampton/sauga area. I think you could see alot of the kids coming from these leagues as well as other semi pro teams wanting to play in the league.

It would be fantastic if we had a true National league. Biggest problem though is the size of Canada. Not going to the away match between Hamilton and Victoria BC or Yellowknife NWT ;) 

Hockey is still #1 here and the kids that play sports are going to that first. 

I feel this is coming up due to us possibly co-hosting the 2026 WC. 

At least it's slightly easier to get to the major cities in Canada unlike the US. I think it'll be good to have at least some more organisation to improve the standard of Canadian players long term.

3 hours ago, Wookie said:

At least it's slightly easier to get to the major cities in Canada unlike the US. I think it'll be good to have at least some more organisation to improve the standard of Canadian players long term.

Really unaffordable though for fans. Least in england you can drive  to most places in well within 8 hours. Flying to bc is like $400-$800 cdn  roundtrip and 5 hours long. Extra hour and id be in england lol. Havent even added hotel n food. One of the reason why it wont work nationally. Leagues in canada have to be regional to the province  and even then for Ontario it has to be only southern ontario

Edited by Jattdogg

1 minute ago, Jattdogg said:

Really unaffordable though for fans. Least in england you can drive  to most places in well within 8 hours. Flying to bc is like $400-$800 cdn  roundtrip and 5 hours long. Extra hour and id be in england lol. Havent even added hotel n food. One of the reason why it wont work nationally. Leagues in canada have to be regional to the province  and even then for Ontario it has to be only southern ontario

Are the trains not any good in Canada?

Just now, Wookie said:

Are the trains not any good in Canada?

Sure if you got plent of time. Example flying to chicago is about 1 hour and change. Driving there is 8 hours or so. Train is about 13 hours. Yes chicago isnt in canada but i have flown, driven and took a train there hence my example.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TK95 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39798344

I actually agree with this. A new penalty shoot-out concept

"The sport's rule-making body, Ifab, approved the trial after looking at the research that says the team taking the first penalty have an unfair advantage as they win 60% of shootouts."

Hard to disagree with that.