Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stix

The World Football Thread

Out of interest, what is considered the best/toughest/competitive league in the world now?

The competition in Italy seems to be at its best ever level.

Id have said Bundesliga for all round technicality but then Andrej "not good enough for leicester" Kramaric goes over there and gets a goal every other game, club player of the season and goal of the season....

Of course the Premier League is the default answer, but can we really still say it's the top?

Thoughts? 

Best league is a myth. It's a staggered effect.

The best of the Prem is worst than the best of Spain or Germany but the worst of the Prem is probably better than the worst of those leagues.

What makes the premier league to competitive is that the worst teams in it would probably be mid table teams in any other league.

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Best league is a myth. It's a staggered effect.

The best of the Prem is worst than the best of Spain or Germany but the worst of the Prem is probably better than the worst of those leagues.

What makes the premier league to competitive is that the worst teams in it would probably be mid table teams in any other league.

I'm not certain of that, Watford, West Ham and the like aren't very good and I'd fancy Eibar or Malaga to beat them which really shouldn't happen considering the difference in budgets 

There's obviously no way to prove that so it's clearly your opinion versus mine but personally I disagree.

I think Eibar would bet battered by most bottom half Prem sides, so would Hamburg,  Crotone, etc.

5 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

Christian Pulisic is going to be a top 10 player of his generation.

Meh, there's so many of those around at the moment.

Half the Dortmund team, half the Monaco team, Dybala, Jesus, Asensio, et all.

People were saying the same about Martial when United signed him, he's looking pretty bang average now.

Let's see, some will go on to be consistently brilliant, some won't.

On 6/3/2017 at 23:31, UPinCarolina said:

Christian Pulisic is going to be a top 10 player of his generation.

There always has to be a hyped young American player.  Of those I can remember, Pulisic looks the most complete and ahead of his years.  Top ten of his generation?  That would be awesome and such a huge boost.  He has the potential and time in hand to get there.

IMO the best US player ever, by a mile, was Michelle Akers.  Best skills in the world and never lost a 50-50 ball in her life.  Why are we so far overdue to develop an all-around world-class male player.

23 minutes ago, KingsX said:

There always has to be a hyped young American player.  Of those I can remember, Pulisic looks the most complete and ahead of his years.  Top ten of his generation?  That would be awesome and such a huge boost.  He has the potential and time in hand to get there.

IMO the best US player ever, by a mile, was Michelle Akers.  Best skills in the world and never lost a 50-50 ball in her life.  Why are we so far overdue to develop an all-around world-class male player.

Maybe top 10 is a stretch, but he certainly seems to be part of a very special group. It's hard not to get excited about the possibilities when you consider his age and current level of play. You're right about the male dilemma - I think it's due to sports like basketball, baseball and American football sucking away some talents who could have been fantastic players.

Edited by UPinCarolina