Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stix

The World Football Thread

It's weird, almost feel like my Leicester supporting life has seen it's peak now - obviously I still get bothered week after week but there'll always be the comfort of 15/16. 

The next thing is and always has been seeing England win a major international tourney but it won't happen, ever - and it's getting to the point now where I'm not arsed if I miss games, I couldn't ever imagine that growing up. Even friendlies are dead now, go back a decade and they were big business still, dominating the back pages and that - a few interesting selections made them worth a go.

1 minute ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

It's weird, almost feel like my Leicester supporting life has seen it's peak now - obviously I still get bothered week after week but there'll always be the comfort of 15/16. 

The next thing is and always has been seeing England win a major international tourney but it won't happen, ever - and it's getting to the point now where I'm not arsed if I miss games, I couldn't ever imagine that growing up. Even friendlies are dead now, go back a decade and they were big business still, dominating the back pages and that - a few interesting selections made them worth a go.

Southgate isn't the man to lead us with this group we need better tactically. I couldn't work out what he was doing against Scotland and tonight it was a complete mess

22 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

John Stones should still be playing for Barnsley. Biggest fraud in English football.

Saw a quote from Southgate the other day saying he might try Stones in midfield. 

IMG_4801.GIF.8e4734e47f3cac68f2bdf1c4114c7398.GIF

That's not how international football works. Sure you might play a slightly different system which means a centre back who usually plays in a two plays in a three or visa versa, but you call the best performing players in a position to play in that position, you don't call someone who been playing well at centre back and play him in midfield in front of all your midfielder. You don't call up your best right back so you can start him up front do you? Mans an idiot.

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Southgate isn't the man to lead us with this group we need better tactically. I couldn't work out what he was doing against Scotland and tonight it was a complete mess

Much like his whole football career

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Saw a quote from Southgate the other day saying he might try Stones in midfield. 

IMG_4801.GIF.8e4734e47f3cac68f2bdf1c4114c7398.GIF

That's not how international football works. Sure you might play a slightly different system which means a centre back who usually plays in a two plays in a three or visa versa, but you call the best performing players in a position to play in that position, you don't call someone who been playing well at centre back and play him in midfield in front of all your midfielder. You don't call up your best right back so you can start him up front do you? Mans an idiot.

No, you call up Phil Jones and play him at right back or in midfield. Or Smalling at right back.

England managers have been doing this shit for years, they never learn.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I don't think we've got a bad team at all if everyone's fit and firing. Something like:

Butland

Walker-----Keane-----Cahill-----Rose

Dier----       Henderson

Alli

Sterling---------------------------Welbeck

Kane

Could be half decent, I dunno. We've got some reasonable prospects at CB with Holding, Keane, Gibson and Maguire coming through but all of a sudden the middle of the pitch seems sparse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

No, you call up Phil Jones and play him at right back or in midfield. Or Smalling at right back.

England managers have been doing this shit for years, they never learn.

I kinda of get moving a centre back to right back if you have injuries, most have them have done it from time to time at club level, but openingly stating you want to try a player in a role he's never even played a few minutes in at club level is ludicrous. What has made him decide a centre back who's never played in midfield is one of the country's best midfielders? Crazy.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I don't think we've got a bad team at all if everyone's fit and firing. Something like:

Butland

Dier----       Henderson

Alli

Kane

Could be half decent, I dunno. We've got some reasonable prospects at CB with Holding, Keane, Gibson and Maguire coming through but all of a sudden the middle of the pitch seems sparse.

Keane should be ahead of anyone right now, rose and Waller look certs.

So it is decent and good enough to be doing better than we have but I'm starting to realise Southgate wasn't the right appointment. I honestly think we are worse under him than Hodgson and I thought that couldn't happen!

Edited by foxes_rule1978

16 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Butland

Dier----       Henderson

Alli

Kane

I'd rather have Lallana out wide than Welbeck but you're right we do have a reasonably good side but we're mismanaged.

Edited by Wookie
  • Like 1

The team looks a lot better when Jordan Henderson plays. For all the stick he gets England really miss his positional sense and passing accuracy. He brings a bit of leadership too.

Whatever it is Eric Dier is supposed to excel at, I've not figured it out yet. Then you've got Jake Livermore who is a very limited player and Ox who has played most of his career on the wing. Cupboard's a bit bare to say the least, not helped by players out of position. If Southgate really thinks it's worth trying Stones in midfield then he's even more out of his depth than I thought.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wookie said:

I'd have Lallana out wide than Welbeck but you're right we do have a reasonably good side but we're mismanaged.

Thats why we are crap...50yrs of blaming the manager..not the quality or lack of from the players...

Ali..brilliant in PL. ....INT.  not yet produced.Since Wilshere lost out, to injury  no drive from midfield, and he wasnt the Most experienced.

Crap at the back, though if we chose our best back 4, we are decent.

The Ox failed again..

At international level, the players shouldnt need coaching...this group tonight cant think for themselves....Kane, and a fleeting occasionally Sterling were without blame...

Vardy would of made a difference, and Lallana, in a competitive game and mode, also may have performed better....

For England a very poor friendly, fringe players from this squad selection, poor...

28 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

That England midfield is seriously lacking in any creativity. It just a pointless thing.

I think that's where our main problem lies personally. I thought we looked a bit better with 5 at the back, but our midfield is woeful. Oxlade isn't a central midfielder by any stretch of the imagination and I maintain that Dier is one of the most overrated players at international level, for years. 

We seem to be banking all of our hopes on the Spurs trio of Dier, Ali and Kane and I think probably only Kane is an excellent international player, or at least will be.

We were just overrun in the middle and Southgate did nothing about it.

Pogba absolutely ran the show and showed how influential he can be. 

Edited by Col city fan

35 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Butland

Dier----       Henderson

Alli

Kane

I know what you are saying but I think that's also part of the problem. Really, that isn't a very good team to be honest. Just compare that, for instance, with the France first 11

I think we all fall foul of saying our players are better than they are. They aren't bad players at all, but compared to some of the other international 11's, they are very average.  I think your midfield two of Henderson and Dier would be mullered by some of the other world midfields.

Edited by Col city fan

14 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I know what you are saying but I think that's also part of the problem. Really, that isn't a very good team to be honest. Just compare that, for instance, with the France first 11

I think we all fall foul of saying our players are better than they are. They aren't bad players at all, but compared to some of the other international 11's, they are very average.  I think your midfield two of Henderson and Dier would be mullered by some of the other world midfields.

I can definitely see where you're coming from but I also think the other side of that coin can just as easily be applied and we're guilty of undervaluing our players. I've seen plenty of posters on this forum label David Beckham as over-rated in threads before when the guy was bloody brilliant. Currently, we have some wonderfully gifted footballers - Kane, Alli, Lallana for example, and some promising talent coming through.

Obviously we're behind the Germans, the French, the Spanish etc - but we aren't as bad as our recent performances in international tournaments suggests, for me we have the personnel to be competitive at this level and at least go some way to rectifying the absolute horror show of 2014-16, we just aren't anywhere near nailing a system that suits us. Our main problem for me is that - almost without exception, we never dictate the pace of the game in international football, we're never on the front foot. It's ponderous and it plays into the opposition's hands because we are no where near as good at possession football as we are trying to hit sides on the break and getting them backing off. Considering the division prides itself on it's pace and physicality, we're far, far too slow and cumbersome on the ball all too often. The last time I can genuinely remember feeling encouraged by an England performance was the first 45/60 minutes of our Euro opener against Russia because it had a bit of initiative, pace and bite about it. We actually played to our strengths for a change and it was refreshing to watch but it was never built on.

It's difficult to pin down a "blame" but it probably lies somewhere between a mixture of both management and playing staff, to be honest. These players are definitely better than what they show, but you wonder how they're being set up.

That said, it's a bloody stupid time to have a friendly that nobody wanted.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think that's where our main problem lies personally. I thought we looked a bit better with 5 at the back, but our midfield is woeful. Oxlade isn't a central midfielder by any stretch of the imagination and I maintain that Dier is one of the most overrated players at international level, for years. 

We seem to be banking all of our hopes on the Spurs trio of Dier, Ali and Kane and I think probably only Kane is an excellent international player, or at least will be.

We were just overrun in the middle and Southgate did nothing about it.

Pogba absolutely ran the show and showed how influential he can be. 

Southgate is not good enough to be an international manager. He's trying to build a team around a successful premiership side and that's going to be his downfall. He's going for the easy route and letting another manager basically develop his team, the problem with that is the other players aren't there. He's got no style of play and come the next World Cup we will fail again. He should be picking pairs of players from different clubs. The defence is abysmal, the midfield don't know what to do and apart from Kane, there's no real goal threat. it'll end in tears and the merry go round will continue.

Embarrassing from England. Ten men outplayed us.

Mbappe really is a super talent. 18 years old and has so much to his game already. Dembele's class as well.

France are on another planet to us really.

1 hour ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Argentina, Brazil, Chile , Spain , Italy, Portugal , Germany and France are teams that are technically light years ahead of us.

England is back in Carlton Palmer, Steve Bull territory and will be amazed if they get through their group next year. 

Add in Belgium, Holland (debateable at the minute but I still think they'd beat us), Croatia and even possibly Colombia as well.

Have we progressed at all? For me no. If we played Iceland again in Russia I could honestly not back England with any confidence.

7 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Add in Belgium, Holland (debateable at the minute but I still think they'd beat us), Croatia and even possibly Colombia as well.

Have we progressed at all? For me no. If we played Iceland again in Russia I could honestly not back England with any confidence.

All teams have rubbish games, it's just that we seem to have more than most. 

Southgate seems to have no plan "B". When France went down to 10 men, give it a few minutes maybe, then step up a couple of gears. We did nothing, stayed passive, even though we were away from home against a decent side, we should have taken the initiative. 

The guy just waits for things to happen, kiss goodbye to the next few years until he is sacked. 

I wish supporting a country was down to choice. If it was I can't think of many countries that would be below England on my wish list. Nothing to do with the management or squad but the sheer negativity amongst fans is unbearable, justified criticism or not. Somebody on twitter reassured us all it was only a friendly just after we took the lead, ended the night with absolutely nothing good to say

Edited by Walkers