Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Season ticket sales 'up 35 per cent on last year'

Merc

Leicester City season ticket sales are up by 35 per cent on this time last year, according to the club.

City announced yesterday that the number of fans snapping up season tickets early had increased dramatically on the same stage last season.

Discounts on family tickets and early renewals, plus the abolition of charges to help fans spread the cost of their ticket were given as possible reasons for the surge.

"The early rate of sales has been fantastic and further evidence of the loyalty and commitment consistently displayed by Leicester City supporters," said chief executive Susan Whelan.

"Our objective was to make season tickets more accessible for a greater number of people in 2012/13 and the initial surge of applications is extremely encouraging.

"It's a positive start to the campaign, so it's vital we press on together and get behind Nigel and theteam for next season."

There are still four weeks left for fans to renew or apply under the Early Bird scheme and City say season tickets present the fans with the best possible value.

However, some supporters have criticised the decision to abolish student season tickets, with several fans contacting the Mercury to say they would not renew their tickets.

One City supporter, 52-year-old Neil Turner, said his 19-year-old son's ticket was rising from £130 to £430 for the West Stand.

"I believe that there are a group of fans, the students, who have been badly let down by the club," he said.

"As a group of stakeholders, students have been hit by the largest rise in season ticket pricing, but in full-time education are in no position to comply.

"As usual, it will be the family who pays for their tickets. The point is this affects whole families not just a few students."

A club spokesman said: "Leicester City is committed to a season ticket strategy which encourages families and all young people to support the football club.

"We are extremely proud of a policy which offers under-12s the chance to watch football for an average of £2.15-a-game, while under-18 prices average at £5.09-per-game and accompanied under-8s continue to watch games for free.

"In 2011/2012, we had a total number of 266 student season ticket holders. All students under the age of 22 continue to be able to take advantage of our under-22 season ticket price, which offers excellent value for money.

"The club has excellent relationships with the universities and students in the region and looks forward to continuing to work with them in the future."

266 Students

I'm glad they represent such a large % of our support!! After all the mentions on here I thought students made up about 80% of our support :ph34r:

positive sales tho, the group i go with haven't renewed yet, so it will go up by a few more as well this weekend.

Have any season ticket holders actually had any info through the post about renewing?

I've had sod all come through from the club about my season ticket.

nope all seems to have been done via website this year, cost saving no doubt.

Allow me to enlighten everyone...

•"Sales up 35% on this time last year". Probably true, but remember that last year tickets were released much earlier in the year. The early bird discount finished on 31st March, when sales would have tailed off. Therefore comparing May last year to May this year sales are probably higher. What about comparing like with like though ? I suspect the fact the club are having to misuse stats shows that sales are probably down, significantly

• I also suspect that renewals for Family Stand members is a no brainer with prices being frozen, so presumably these folk have rushed to renew

• It would be interesting to see how sales are going in areas that saw the above-inflation rises e.g. West Stand, Kop, East Stand. I'd be amazed if they have increased compared with last year's sales

• I notice that the Club has changed its position on the number of students, now 266, was 200. This figure is deceptive, for example neither I nor my son will now be renewing. I have heard other examples on the phone-in that support this. Could be up to 400 seats for "student families"?

•The club said "All students under the age of 22 continue to be able to take advantage of our under-22 season ticket price, which offers excellent value for money". How a rise of between 100-230% offers excellent VFM is anyone's guess – the club's publicity machine in action, I'm afraid. It may be of interest to fans that Reading have frozen their prices, and even their most expensive adult ticket next season is £5 less than my student son would have to pay to watch a mid-table Leicester side (granted this is less games due to Premiership, but watching Man City and Chelsea)

• I'm sure the club has excellent relationships with the Universities, but its relationship with degree students has been irrevocably damaged

I agree that the 266 students probably went with family or friends so the knock on effect maybe higher than that of people no renewing.

Seeing as it's only 266 why cant the club just re instate the student discount? It's hardly going to break the bank.

Allow me to enlighten everyone...

•"Sales up 35% on this time last year". Probably true, but remember that last year tickets were released much earlier in the year. The early bird discount finished on 31st March, when sales would have tailed off. Therefore comparing May last year to May this year sales are probably higher. What about comparing like with like though ? I suspect the fact the club are having to misuse stats shows that sales are probably down, significantly

• I also suspect that renewals for Family Stand members is a no brainer with prices being frozen, so presumably these folk have rushed to renew

• It would be interesting to see how sales are going in areas that saw the above-inflation rises e.g. West Stand, Kop, East Stand. I'd be amazed if they have increased compared with last year's sales

• I notice that the Club has changed its position on the number of students, now 266, was 200. This figure is deceptive, for example neither I nor my son will now be renewing. I have heard other examples on the phone-in that support this. Could be up to 400 seats for "student families"?

•The club said "All students under the age of 22 continue to be able to take advantage of our under-22 season ticket price, which offers excellent value for money". How a rise of between 100-230% offers excellent VFM is anyone's guess – the club's publicity machine in action, I'm afraid. It may be of interest to fans that Reading have frozen their prices, and even their most expensive adult ticket next season is £5 less than my student son would have to pay to watch a mid-table Leicester side (granted this is less games due to Premiership, but watching Man City and Chelsea)

• I'm sure the club has excellent relationships with the Universities, but its relationship with degree students has been irrevocably damaged

Interesting use of statistics from yourself in respect of Reading Season Tickets. Just been on their website and their cheapest Season ticket is £525 (£150 under 16's and £330 over 65's and 17-21, no concessions for students). In comparison City's cheapest ticket is £350 (a broad range of concessions from £0 to £260).

Pot calling the kettle I think.

Back though to the question of students, you may know differently but as I undterstand it, this concession was only offered for one season and very few other clubs offer it, clearly the club have had problems in monitoring their use and therefore decided to withdraw it in favour of cheaper tickets for all those 18-22. When changes are made there will always be winners and losers, but in this case it seems clear to me that there will be more winners than losers.

On the subject of prices in general, the increase this year has been more than I would have hoped, but if you take into account the free direct debit scheme then for most the increase will be minimal. For those with the biggest increases you can always opt to move to a cheaper area,

It really is such gobshite from LCFC yet AGAIN. I fail to believe that this time last year we'd have sold 35% less than what we have now, considering this year they've only just gone on sale where-as the early bird last year was in March.

Add to that you've got a rise, and another season of crap behind us, there's simply no way renewals would've increased in any stand bar the family stand, and that stand isn't alone going to make what they've said true, absolute bullshit.

They probably mean "this time last year" in terms of how many days they've been on sale, and even then I find it hard to believe.

Susan Whelan can do one. Just another one who tries to trick the fans with utter crap like "excellent value for money for U22's", how she has the utter nerve to say that after tripling the price for a lot of people. Dodging questions when asked them, I'm severely unimpressed, she's not outstandingly bad but she's just your typical chief exec who works for your typical club who's got no interest in fans.

Seriously don't want to renew but even more seriously don't want to give it up. Totally play with your emotions.

It really is such gobshite from LCFC yet AGAIN. I fail to believe that this time last year we'd have sold 35% less than what we have now, considering this year they've only just gone on sale where-as the early bird last year was in March.

Add to that you've got a rise, and another season of crap behind us, there's simply no way renewals would've increased in any stand bar the family stand, and that stand isn't alone going to make what they've said true, absolute bullshit.

They probably mean "this time last year" in terms of how many days they've been on sale, and even then I find it hard to believe.

Susan Whelan can do one. Just another one who tries to trick the fans with utter crap like "excellent value for money for U22's", how she has the utter nerve to say that after tripling the price for a lot of people. Dodging questions when asked them, I'm severely unimpressed, she's not outstandingly bad but she's just your typical chief exec who works for your typical club who's got no interest in fans.

Seriously don't want to renew but even more seriously don't want to give it up. Totally play with your emotions.

To sit in K1 it goes from £130 to £400 for me.

Decent jump that is jheeeeez

I dont doubt for a second that they are up 35% versus last year.

I was going to wait a bit to renew, but with the direct debit scheme working the way it is, the earlier you renew the longer you have to pay it off, the cheaper each monthly payment becomes. Makes sense to renew early.

Also, to state the obvious, it doesn't say what the figure was last year, so in actual numbers, 35% could be loads, or could be bugger all

Guest MattP

I dont doubt for a second that they are up 35% versus last year.

I was going to wait a bit to renew, but with the direct debit scheme working the way it is, the earlier you renew the longer you have to pay it off, the cheaper each monthly payment becomes. Makes sense to renew early.

Also, to state the obvious, it doesn't say what the figure was last year, so in actual numbers, 35% could be loads, or could be bugger all

Considering the early bird scheme ended in March last year and our fans were convinced around that time we were heading for the Prem I'd imagine the numbers this time last year were substantial.

The 286 student season ticket holders would be students over the age of 22 using their status as a full-time student to get a season ticket at Under 22 price. They have no idea how many actual Under 22s are in employment, are unemployed or studying.

Archived