Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
acooling08

Scottish Independence Poll

Do you want Scotland to leave the UK?  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Scotland to leave the UK?

• Yes - I want Scotland to leave the UK.
    • No - I want Scotland to stay in the UK.
    • I don't know.
    • I don't care.

A Scottish friend of mine are sharing videos of a teller moving a No vote to Yes pile. There was two videos of two separate occurrences and a photo of No vote sitting in Yes pile. I would have share it on here if I know how to pinch it from Facebook.

Not sure if it is a conspiracy or a genuine error or a paranoid Yes voter moved votes to suggest a conspiracy. 

You mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUR-HgAtwtg#t=26

She must have a pretty elaborate system to rig the entire thing like that

There's an interesting analysis of the results in today's Grauniad: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2014/sep/18/-sp-scottish-independence-referendum-results-in-full?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2. The only two councils with large(ish) majorities in favour of independence had the lowest turnouts: Dundee (78.8%) and Glasgow (75%). I wonder if some potential "No" voters were put off from voting.

A Scottish friend of mine are sharing videos of a teller moving a No vote to Yes pile. There was two videos of two separate occurrences and a photo of No vote sitting in Yes pile. I would have share it on here if I know how to pinch it from Facebook.

Not sure if it is a conspiracy or a genuine error or a paranoid Yes voter moved votes to suggest a conspiracy. 

lol

I'm impressed at you blokes posting on here at 4am and 5am. I only managed to stay till 2am for Clackmannanshire & Orkney. I have visions of MattP, PurpleRonnie & Harry-LCFC sitting in front of their screens at 5am, each in a pair of Y-fronts and a string vest, each holding a glass of Bells and Irn-Bru, the Rab C. Nesbitts of Leicester! Have a word with them, Ken, I worry about their drinking and their work ethic! :ph34r:

Now, I'm sorry to be a self-referential, egotistical twat, but I'm claiming some Nostrodamus brownie points for the post below.... 

Will be interesting to see how the votes divide in different areas. I wouldn't be surprised if there's quite a high "Yes" vote in urban, Labour-voting areas, but a swing to "No" in rural parts.

So, insofar as "Yes" was an "anti-vote" (it was partly a positive vote, I think), it was anti-Westminster (ConDem/NewLab) not anti-English. Though I'm sure that many Glaswegians confuse "English" with "Tory, just as many English Tories do! It was alienated voters in inner cities who swung to "Yes", while the supposedly more "Scottish" areas swung to "No".

Shame, but hey ho. Anyone think Gordon brown is going to return to front line politics? God I hope not.

In Scotland, maybe, but not UK-wide. He shouldn't take many plaudits, either. However many great speeches he made, the "Yes" vote was still high in many Labour-voting areas and the "No" result was partly rescued by votes in non-Labour, including SNP areas!

Cameron reiterates promises to give powers to Scotland. Plenty of emphasis on doing the same for England. Maybe reading a bit too much into it but he also talked briefly about "empowering our great cities," was he suggesting we have a mayor of Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds and the like?

Cameron's comment made me laugh. It reminded me of Thatcher, after winning the 1987 general election, proclaiming that "we must do something about those inner cities"!  lol

http://www.channel4.com/news/david-cameron-and-those-inner-cities

Honestly, most politicians are such insincere charlatans and think we are such fools! Even if Cameron was sincere, he doesn't have the support to make this a priority. The reality is that there is little appetite on the Right for such inclusive "one nation" policies. The Tory backbenches and party membership are dominated by Thatcherite free-marketeers and Eurosceptics, not to mention having the threat of UKIP on their right flank. They will see more votes in polarisation and division, in conceiving of the inner-city poor as scum responsible for their own predicament and in the rich as inherently meritorious. Empty rhetoric, Call-me-Dave, empty rhetoric!

It was a really stupid move to be honest, promising increased "powers." A panic. I'm not convinced it was necessary but now they have to either alienate the English vote by following through or throwing away the Scots vote by not.

"A panic"? Certainly. But "really stupid"? I'm not so sure. All 3 main parties will now have to deliver more devolution to Scotland - AND address the Barnett formula and "English votes for English legislation". Otherwise, all 3 will risk haemorrhaging votes to the SNP in Scotland and to UKIP in England (and maybe to UKIP or Plaid in Wales?).

Some of the Tory voters on here who are hostile to the "Yes" campaign should imagine the opposite scenario. Imagine if England were the smaller country and consistently returned almost no Labour MPs, yet a Labour government in Edinburgh repeatedly imposed left-wing policies down here? That would certainly cause resentment.

I hope this all leads to a politics that is less centralised in Westminster, for the sake of English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish....but I won't hold my breath, particularly when it is just a handful of (overwhelmingly English) seats that decide every election and the main parties see local government spending as an area in which they can impose austerity cuts without central government getting the blame.

Pleased with the "No" vote overall, though, and hope we can move to greater political engagement and avoid a retreat into competing, hostile nationalisms and polarisation between different social groups....again, shan't be holding my breath, though!

Sorry Alf I'm taking a back seat in debates on here. i cannot win against the most stubborn

I can't see that a yes vote would have been better for the worse off but desperate times calls for desperate actions. They probably thought they were fecked either way.

Saw a post on Facebook about a Twitter photo 'proving' the vote was rigged. I don't think so. I doubt even Cameron would stoop that low. :)

Sorry Alf I'm taking a back seat in debates on here. i cannot win against the most stubborn

I can't see that a yes vote would have been better for the worse off but desperate times calls for desperate actions. They probably thought they were fecked either way.

Saw a post on Facebook about a Twitter photo 'proving' the vote was rigged. I don't think so. I doubt even Cameron would stoop that low. :)

No apologies required, Ken. We're all in this together, in the Big Society.

I am a bit concerned about Matt posting in the middle of the night, though. Do you think that he might have been drinking? Maybe you could have a word, like?

I wonder if he's found a job yet? There's loads out there. Country's coming up roses. Wouldn't blame him if he's taken early retirement, though.  :whistle:

No apologies required, Ken. We're all in this together, in the Big Society.

I am a bit concerned about Matt posting in the middle of the night, though. Do you think that he might have been drinking? Maybe you could have a word, like?

I wonder if he's found a job yet? There's loads out there. Country's coming up roses. Wouldn't blame him if he's taken early retirement, though.  :whistle:

Had an interview this week, it looks a possibility as I thought it went very well. No drink for me last night mate, I'm a solid Mon-Thurs non drinker these days, firm belief the body needs time to recover. Certainly back on it today mind....

Cameron promising everything will be honoured, I don't think he realises the backlash that is on the way, he now has to answer his own England question and I'm getting the feeling his answer to that could define whether he clings onto power in 2015.

Anyway, Welcome home Scotland... Now go to your room, you're grounded until further notice.

Ed Miliband now on TV saying he backs fair devolution for all, fully hope and expect now he will tell the 41 Scottish Labour MPs to abstain on voting in any English only matters.

Side note, Andrew Neil is presenting the Daily Politics, that's 10pm last night, 2am-7am and 12pm-1pm he's been on live. Fair play to that man.

Had an interview this week, it looks a possibility as I thought it went very well. No drink for me last night mate, I'm a solid Mon-Thurs non drinker these days, firm belief the body needs time to recover. Certainly back on it today mind....

Cameron promising everything will be honoured, I don't think he realises the backlash that is on the way, he now has to answer his own England question and I'm getting the feeling his answer to that could define whether he clings onto power in 2015.

Anyway, Welcome home Scotland... Now go to your room, you're grounded until further notice.

Good luck with the job interview.

Weekend only drinking is one of the many strategies to avoid over-indulgence that I've employed, but it never worked longer than short-term. Maybe you have more self-discipline than me. Complete abstinence is the only strategy that seems to work for me in the medium-term (off since 30th June at the moment and appreciating the net benefits).

Certainly interesting, turbulent times in politics. Cameron (and Miliband & Clegg) will face a lot of Scottish hostility if substantial devolution doesn't take place....and a lot of English hostility if the "England question" isn't addressed. Being cynical, Cameron only has 1 MP to lose in Scotland and a lot more in England. The Lib Dems have an amazing 11 Scottish MPs (for now), so they'll obviously be pushing for Scottish devolution. In theory, at this stage of the coalition, Cameron could take the risk of ignoring Scottish demands and Lib Dem pressure, but mass Scottish protests and an early collapse of the coalition wouldn't look good in the run-up to the election, even if England is his main priority.

I assume that he'll try to tackle both issues - maybe even try to legislate on both before the election, which might defuse Scots ire and keep the Lib Dems onside. Morally and tactically, Labour should agree to some quid-pro-quo arrangement for the devolution of powers to Scotland and England, but does Miliband have the sense and strength to go for that? It'll be interesting to find out. If Labour ends up scuppering any attempt at a cross-party solution and the coalition legislates, Labour will be fvcked both sides of the border! I suppose all 3 parties might just wait and put different proposals in their election manifestos, though....  

Paranoid conspiraloons looking for an attempt to claim the vote was rigged. Classic toy-throwing. Although, there's something pretty dodgy about this:

Bx2kldRCUAAbiqH.jpg

While you can only see two ballots clearly, one bundle is for yes and one for no - so why are they both on a no table?

Side note, Andrew Neil is presenting the Daily Politics, that's 10pm last night, 2am-7am and 12pm-1pm he's been on live. Fair play to that man.

Ya Pussy, I was shit faced by 4am.  Out tonight for a birthday party, it'll probably turn out to be 48 hours without any sleep.

Andrew and Ronnie, keeping hardcore conduct alive....

I do like Andrew Neill as a presenter. The BBC should have handed Newsnight over to him and I'd watch it more often. Even if he's more Right than Left, he gets to the nitty-gritty and gives everyone a good grilling, as well as having a sense of humour.

Paranoid conspiraloons looking for an attempt to claim the vote was rigged. Classic toy-throwing. Although, there's something pretty dodgy about this:

Bx2kldRCUAAbiqH.jpg

While you can only see two ballots clearly, one bundle is for yes and one for no - so why are they both on a no table?

This was already debunked last night. A pretty poor attempt from the 'Yes' crowd of creating some controversy.

To clarify, ballot papers have not yet been sorted into Yes/No and are just resting on table where No will go once sorted. No need to worry.

Andrew and Ronnie, keeping hardcore conduct alive....

I do like Andrew Neill as a presenter. The BBC should have handed Newsnight over to him and I'd watch it more often. Even if he's more Right than Left, he gets to the nitty-gritty and gives everyone a good grilling, as well as having a sense of humour.

His 'hair' is a little off putting though.

Archived