Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Schlupp loan talk?

A lot of sense in there, Col. But for me, it's the other way round re 'squad' and 'team'. I think the fact that nobody on here can predict what our strongest 11 looks likely to be (probably because we haven't signed some of them yet), is an issue. There just aren't enough 'stand-out' players in a squad of, primarily, mediocrity. Just feel we need a sprinkling of star-dust rather than more bread and butter in the squad, (he says, mixing up his metaphors) !!

Spot on Trent.

A little 'star dust' would surely improve the 'bread and butter'.

However, Pearson I think is a 'bread and butter' type bloke and manager. I won't be surprised if A. We don't make many more signings and B. those we do will be grafters, rather than magicians.

Spot on Trent.

A little 'star dust' would surely improve the 'bread and butter'.

However, Pearson I think is a 'bread and butter' type bloke and manager. I won't be surprised if A. We don't make many more signings and B. those we do will be grafters, rather than magicians.

Have a suspicion that might well be the case.

Would people say that Mark Davies and Cleverley had star dust? Two of the best footballers we've had here in years.

Pearson has no problem with talent, whether it's people suggesting he can't handle them or that they are somehow not his type of player, it's nonsense.

What he asks is that the players no matter how talented, have the correct attitude and also put the required effort in.

It's hardly a surprise he keeps going for United youth teamers. Ferguson drills work ethic and the correct mentality into everyone at that club from top to bottom. The ones who don't take it on board often get shipped out eventually.

Would people say that Mark Davies and Cleverley had star dust? Two of the best footballers we've had here in years.

Pearson has no problem with talent, whether it's people suggesting he can't handle them or that they are somehow not his type of player, it's nonsense.

What he asks is that the players no matter how talented, have the correct attitude and also put the required effort in.

It's hardly a surprise he keeps going for United youth teamers. Ferguson drills work ethic and the correct mentality into everyone at that club from top to bottom. The ones who don't take it on board often get shipped out eventually.

Interesting points Babs. Both had something about them, undoubtedly. Would be great to see more players of that ability coming through the doors at KP. But you make it sound like a choice between one type or the other. Surely, in amongst the pragmatic signings of people like Morgan we can accomodate the odd piece of 'glitz' ? Who knows - he may already have done that with Vardy or James or Marshall .... or even Drinkwater ? But as stated earlier, my own suspicion is that - right now - we are more likely to go for less technical 'grafters'. Hell, that's maybe all we can afford at the moment after last season's excesses !!?? Who knows ! We all work on scraps of gossip on here and make unique decisions about what may or may not be the truth. Having seen the abuse Gally gets on here, maybe I'm in a minority even wanting such players ?!

I don't think it's a choice of one or the other, but if you want a proven and exciting/talented player, with the correct attitude and work ethic, they are going to cost a fortune or not even want to come here.

I think hes probably hoping the "glitz" will come from some of the players you mentioned. And even then it's down to your definition of glitz, is Marshall banging in 30 yarders every other week glitz? To some people probably not.

A player with average talent and the correct attitude will often get further than someone highly skilled with the wrong one.

I don't think it's a choice of one or the other, but if you want a proven and exciting/talented player, with the correct attitude and work ethic, they are going to cost a fortune or not even want to come here.

I think hes probably hoping the "glitz" will come from some of the players you mentioned. And even then it's down to your definition of glitz, is Marshall banging in 30 yarders every other week glitz? To some people probably not.

A player with average talent and the correct attitude will often get further than someone highly skilled with the wrong one.

Always find myself nodding in agreement with your comments. But my point to Col was that there is a 'similarity' in the squad - too much of a muchness. Perhaps too many who will run around all day, and not enough who just offer something different. We've all been spoilt watching the Euro's and need to be realistic about what a mid-table Championship club can afford. But I'd love to see us sign just one player who could win us some matches; turn some of the draws into wins that perhaps a squad full of grafters may not. My point about Gally was only partially flippant, as I think he might be the closest example on our books right now. Too inconsistent for most people's tatses, but that's what a million gets you, so I think it's your point about "paying a fortune" that is the really interesting one for me. In the new world of FFP - can we ? Will we ? Should we ? No idea !!! But, personally, I'd love to scarifice a couple of squad members from the "very athletic" brigade, for just from from the "flair" brigade. Yes, they'll have to run their nuts off to get a game (and rightly so), but just one with something genuinely different at a price before we enter the world of obscene money that hall-marks most Premiership transfers. And before you ask, I have absolutely no idea who !!!!! But that's what SW and his team get paid for. Fingers crossed !!

Can't argue with that.

And two more of similar quality would be smashing.

Always find myself nodding in agreement with your comments. But my point to Col was that there is a 'similarity' in the squad - too much of a muchness. Perhaps too many who will run around all day, and not enough who just offer something different. We've all been spoilt watching the Euro's and need to be realistic about what a mid-table Championship club can afford. But I'd love to see us sign just one player who could win us some matches; turn some of the draws into wins that perhaps a squad full of grafters may not.

I agree, but I suppose until we see James and Vardy in action (or anyone else we sign), we won't know if we have that already there. They might not be the "flair" players you have in mind, but if James can slide a striker in behind defenders, it's as effective, if not as glamorous as having a man who does 3 step overs and takes on 4 players to do the same.

I still think we miss pace, I don't really know how quick Vardy is, so we are just left with Dyer with any pace. Although De Laet at RB is supposed to be rapid!

I think there are a few comings and goings still, so we'll see.

I agree, but I suppose until we see James and Vardy in action (or anyone else we sign), we won't know if we have that already there. They might not be the "flair" players you have in mind, but if James can slide a striker in behind defenders, it's as effective, if not as glamorous as having a man who does 3 step overs and takes on 4 players to do the same.

I still think we miss pace, I don't really know how quick Vardy is, so we are just left with Dyer with any pace. Although De Laet at RB is supposed to be rapid!

No worries with Vardy, he's lightning. :)

hope he goes to Shrewsbury as will get alot of game time ( would think he would be a first teamer) and would do allot for his cofidance and he would score goals and develop into a better player.

If he does go out on loan I hope it's for the last time.

He's getting to the age where he should be pushing the older lads for a starting position and he'll need to making Championship appearances to progress his game imo.

Agree Babylon and although I haven't seen Vardy live from what I've heard including from a mate who lived nr Blackpool and took in a few Fleetwood games... his words " rapid, composed and a real handfull " so I asked what about the step up? reply " will be more shocked if he doesn't make the step up stood out a mile as having the right qualities"

Agree Babylon and although I haven't seen Vardy live from what I've heard including from a mate who lived nr Blackpool and took in a few Fleetwood games... his words " rapid, composed and a real handfull " so I asked what about the step up? reply " will be more shocked if he doesn't make the step up stood out a mile as having the right qualities"

Hope your mate is right, fingers crossed!

Archived