Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Harry Maguire

Paying £250,000 more than an Ivory Coast international with pace and the ability to pass, whose a bit erratic. Outrageous. It's a good job Nigel knows his centre halves because where's the pace?

Did Sol have the ability to pass a ball? Personally don't think he did, and I was a fan. Superb touch and control but positionally average and woeful passing, scuffed more often than not.

Did Sol have the ability to pass a ball? Personally don't think he did, and I was a fan. Superb touch and control but positionally average and woeful passing, scuffed more often than not.

I suppose what I mean is he wasn't a hoofer, which Maguire is supposedly.

You'll ****ing love this massive hoofer then.

So the three people who have seen him play a handful of times at most are more qualified to comment on him than people who see him all year. Gotcha.

Danny Tiatto LCFC player of the year 2004-5. A mass of idiots having one opinion doesn't make it the right opinion.

I'm not saying mine is the right opinion I'm saying over the 3 games I saw him play last year he was slow, positionally inept and a massive hoofer.

I have a Wednesday flatmate who rates the guy, his family are United and they can't say enough good about him. You've seen him, 3, 4 times?

3 shit games is a pretty ****ing fair sample to base a judgement on.

If we pay £1,000,000 then so be it, the only reason we got 750k for bamba was because we took the offer, we wasn't holding out for a specific price because at the moment the club isn't motivated by money. Take moussa for example...you'd get a couple of 100k for him but instead we released him, we would have got 1M for bamba if needed.

1 million for a 19 year old(so much potential) and who has won sheffield united's player of the season AND young player of the season AND was in the 2011/2012 league one team of the year is a good deal in my opinion.

If we pay £1,000,000 then so be it, the only reason we got 750k for bamba was because we took the offer, we wasn't holding out for a specific price because at the moment the club isn't motivated by money. Take moussa for example...you'd get a couple of 100k for him but instead we released him, we would have got 1M for bamba if needed.

1 million for a 19 year old(so much potential) and who has won sheffield united's player of the season AND young player of the season AND was in the 2011/2012 league one team of the year is a good deal in my opinion.

This!

It's not just the transfer fee but the difference in wages - I would imagine Bamba would have been pushing for parity with some of the bigger earners had he stayed, yet McGuire would be be very happy with a moderate pay rise, which would be nowhere near the wages Bamba would command. If you multiply this over 3 years, the initial £1mil outlay, becomes rather cheap.

I do see what you are saying about Pace... But you have to remember that our best ever defensive pairings ( in our life time) Between Walsh, Elliott and Taggart were completly devoid of pace. I have said this before but we came up against a Very good Arsenal side managed by George Graham who said at the time " Running into Leicester's defence is like running into a brick wall."

Although a lack of pace does unnerve me at times.. it CAN work. Positional sense, awareness, strength and the odd clipped ankle :whistle: make up for a lack of pace..

Not that im suggesting Walshy or Elliott ever clipped anyones ankle...

Totally agree with this - it was far more likely to be their knees and shins than messing about with their ankles.

I can remember years ago we drew brighten in one of the cups. The talk before the game was of how a young Joachim was going to tear an ageing steve foster apart with his pace. What no one had accounted for was how good a defender foster was, what he lacked in pace he had in experience and positional awareness and as a result had Joachim in his pocket.

Pace is the tool of a centre back who's in the wrong position to start with.

I can't quite believe this post.

Are you saying that pace is not important as long as the centre back get their positioning right every time? Do you really think this will happen?

What about a centre back who has strong positional awareness AND possesses pace?

I don't know why people are bleating on about John Terry? Have England won anything or got near to winning anything for decades? Even Chelsea's Champions league winning team was one without Terry playing in it.

I'm not saying Terry isnt a good defender, he is, but he'd be better if he was quicker. As would all players.

Again, you simply make a glib comment to back up what the manager is possibly going to do. If Pearson wants to sign Harry Maguire, Babs will substantiate this by suggesting that pace is not an important attribute of a centre back.

Positional awareness is crucial, but possessing both mental and physical speed make the best players.

You watch the goals we concede this season.. They will be ones where Morgan/St Ledger/ Maguire? get caught in a one on one situation with a nippy striker. Most probably one who gets onto the end of low crosses before our centre backs do. Morgan looks a good prospect for this City team. But a lack of speed IS his Achilles heel. He needs another quicker centre back beside him who can compensate for this. Two slower defenders and we may have more of a problem.

And for those people citing the centre back pairing of Walsh and Elliott as an example, I loved them.. But don't underestimate the help they had by a one Mr Lennon playing directly in front of them and shielding them time after time after time.

City have no such player, which renders the back five under direct attack, a real problem last season.

I'd be happier with a slower centre back pairing if they had a defensive midfielder playing directly in front of them.

I can't quite believe this post.

Are you saying that pace is not important as long as the centre back get their positioning right every time? Do you really think this will happen?

What about a centre back who has strong positional awareness AND possesses pace?

I don't know why people are bleating on about John Terry? Have England won anything or got near to winning anything for decades? Even Chelsea's Champions league winning team was one without Terry playing in it.

I'm not saying Terry isnt a good defender, he is, but he'd be better if he was quicker. As would all players.

Again, you simply make a glib comment to back up what the manager is possibly going to do. If Pearson wants to sign Harry Maguire, Babs will substantiate this by suggesting that pace is not an important attribute of a centre back.

Positional awareness is crucial, but possessing both mental and physical speed make the best players.

You watch the goals we concede this season.. They will be ones where Morgan/St Ledger/ Maguire? get caught in a one on one situation with a nippy striker. Most probably one who gets onto the end of low crosses before our centre backs do. Morgan looks a good prospect for this City team. But a lack of speed IS his Achilles heel. He needs another quicker centre back beside him who can compensate for this. Two slower defenders and we may have more of a problem.

And for those people citing the centre back pairing of Walsh and Elliott as an example, I loved them.. But don't underestimate the help they had by a one Mr Lennon playing directly in front of them and shielding them time after time after time.

City have no such player, which renders the back five under direct attack, a real problem last season.

I'd be happier with a slower centre back pairing if they had a defensive midfielder playing directly in front of them.

I think you took it a bit too seriously Col... lighten up.

Archived