Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Marko Futacs signs for Leicester

Three-year deal. Was at Portsmouth before:

Striker Futacs Signs For City

Posted on: Wed 18 Jul 2012

Leicester City have today (Wednesday) finalised the signing of Hungarian forward Marko Futacs.

Subject to his registration being confirmed by the Football League, Marko, 22, joins the Foxes following the expiration of his contract with Portsmouth. He has agreed terms on a deal until June 2015.

After joining Portsmouth in August 2011, the 6ft 5in striker impressed during his first season in English football, despite Pompey's relegation from the npower Championship. The first of his five goals last term came in the 1-1 draw with City at King Power Stadium in December.

City manager Nigel Pearson said: "Marko has only been in English football for a year, but has shown all of the physical and mental attributes to be successful at this level and we are delighted to have added him to the squad.

"He is another player we faced considerable competition to sign, which only serves to highlight how impressively he performed for Portsmouth last season.

"His height naturally offers some variety to our attacking options, but he is a very gifted player whose technical strengths should not be underestimated."

0,,10274~11052145,00.jpg

Born in Budapest in 1990, Futacs began his development in the lower leagues of Hungarian football, before joining French club AS Nancy at the age of 16.

There he scored prolifically at youth and reserve level, before joining German club Werder Bremen in 2009.

A regular for Bremen's reserve side during his two-year spell with the four-time German champions, Marko also featured four times for the first team during the summer of 2009.

His talents have also been recognised at international level, where he has won caps for Hungary both at Under-18 and Under-21 level.

Marko becomes the fourth new addition to Pearson's squad this summer, following the arrivals of Ritchie De Laet, Matty James and Jamie Vardy.

City supporters will have the chance to see all four players in action for the first time when the Club hosts an open training session at King Power Stadium on Saturday 21 July.

Entry to the open training session will be FREE for all supporters, who will watch from the Family Stand as Nigel Pearson and his staff put the players through their paces, a little more than three weeks before the 2012/13 campaign gets underway.

Entry to the Family Stand will be from 10am, with the session due to begin at 11am. There will be no entry to the training session after 10.45am.

http://www.lcfc.com/...2852757,00.html

Just wanted to make it official. :ph34r:

Should be a good signing, something a bit different and seems to be exactly the sort of signing we needed, someone who can hold the ball up and given his size hopefully he'll be difficult to defend against. Happy with this, especially as it should be a fairly cheap deal.

Can't complain about that didn't realise he was so young either, but we do seem to have a surplus of attacking options:

Futacs, Nugent, Beckford, Vardy, Waghorn, Schlupp, are any of them on their way out?

Schlupp will probably go and I'm still thinking Vardy will be utilised in wider positions.

I don't really follow other clubs as much as I should and admittedly don't know much about this guy, but am I right in saying a few months ago he booted the ball at a Southampton fan? Or kicked off at one or something? :dunno:

Anyway, it will be nice to have another lanky fooker

Very pleased with this, had a season to get to grips with the championship already from moving abroard. Be good to see what he's capable of in a well balanced and organised side :scarf: Futacs & Vardy.....could be a good combo

I don't really follow other clubs as much as I should and admittedly don't know much about this guy, but am I right in saying a few months ago he booted the ball at a Southampton fan? Or kicked off at one or something? :dunno:

Anyway, it will be nice to have another lanky fooker

Lets hope he can do the same again for us against Wolves

Another young, relatively untried player.

We'll have to hope Pearson knows what he's doing.

Same with the others, I don't know Futacs as I've seen only seen him play once.

We must trust Pearson again. There is literally nothing else we can do.

Schlupp will probably go and I'm still thinking Vardy will be utilised in wider positions.

Didn't realise he was on a free to be fair. Still not overwhelmed, saying he'll be better than Howard isn't really saying much either.

Good luck to him, hope he has more to his game than hoofing it up to his head.

Why?

Genuine question as I thought he was primarily a goalscorer and the wide men in NFP's usual 4-4-2 are given serious defensive responsibilities.

Are you actually thinking that NFP might actually not play 4-4-fooking-2........ :o

Are you actually thinking that NFP might actually not play 4-4-fooking-2........ :o

Like he did at Hull, and during periods last season and in parts of his second year here. What a ludicrous suggestion. No Nigel is completely inflexible when it comes to his beloved 4-4-2.

Why?

Genuine question as I thought he was primarily a goalscorer and the wide men in NFP's usual 4-4-2 are given serious defensive responsibilities.

Because in the words of Fleetwood fans "he's as good on the left wing as he is up front". I can't see him starting ahead of Nugent and Beckford, we'll have Waghorn and Fuctas as cover up front, but we currently have very little in the wide positions. Whether it's starting or coming on as sub, I can see him playing wide quite often as well as up front if pace is needed.

Many of his goals have been cutting in from the left and running from deep to get in behind the defence. He's quick and puts in a lot of effort, so I think he has the qualities that could mean he works out there.

Could be very wrong, but with the balance of the squad as it stands prior to more ins and outs I think, it's a fair shout.

Archived