Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RyanLCFC18

Anthony Knockaert

I do not think we have seen anything yet, I feel he has far more to contribute than we have seen.

Like other creative players in recent years he finds himself marginalised and required to play on the wing, often with heavy defensive responsibilities. In NFP's 4-4-2 setup that is simply the way it is.

When he is allowed to roam a little and be attacking he is a far better player, but this happens all to rarely, against better sides, often away from home, he is required to hold his position and keep our shape. This plays into the hands of the opposition who find him easier to mark and this limits his influence on the game.

I has other consequences too, he is no longer so open for a ball out of defence, but then neither is De Laet who is restricted by the presence of Knockaert in front of him, so we have no out ball on the right, usually a very productive area for us, one prime reason we find ourselves hitting pointless long balls.

I also think it has affected his form, he gets frustrated through lack of involvement and tries to do to much often to the detriment of the team. To my mind the more involved he is, the better he is, which I why he will have to move on if he wishes to develop as a player.

I do not think we have seen anything yet, I feel he has far more to contribute than we have seen.

Like other creative players in recent years he finds himself marginalised and required to play on the wing, often with heavy defensive responsibilities. In NFP's 4-4-2 setup that is simply the way it is.

When he is allowed to roam a little and be attacking he is a far better player, but this happens all to rarely, against better sides, often away from home, he is required to hold his position and keep our shape. This plays into the hands of the opposition who find him easier to mark and this limits his influence on the game.

I has other consequences too, he is no longer so open for a ball out of defence, but then neither is De Laet who is restricted by the presence of Knockaert in front of him, so we have no out ball on the right, usually a very productive area for us, one prime reason we find ourselves hitting pointless long balls.

I also think it has affected his form, he gets frustrated through lack of involvement and tries to do to much often to the detriment of the team. To my mind the more involved he is, the better he is, which I why he will have to move on if he wishes to develop as a player.

Morning Dave!

You really can't see/agree with the importance of keeping our shape away from home can you?

It's the rough, tough Championship Dave. We can't go gung-ho away from home.

Keeping the shape in the previous two away games got us the results.

And if we are to get promoted, it WILL be on the back of winning at home (let's face it, we think we can beat any other Championship side at home) and not losing many away.

Giving Knocky that free role away from home, would impinge upon the shape that Pearson wants to play.

Morning Dave!

You really can't see/agree with the importance of keeping our shape away from home can you?

And if we are to get promoted, it WILL be on the back of winning at home (let's face it, we think we can beat any other Championship side at home) and not losing many away.

Giving Knocky that free role away from home, would impinge upon the shape that Pearson wants to play.

I agree Col.

We are going to have some ugly away performances where we have to really dig our heels in and keep shape. This is going to require all of our players to adjust there roles at some point. Obviously Knocky is going to excel at hope when we are playing with freedom and creating space. I'm delighted with his effort this season and hopefully there is plenty more to come

Now this might seem a bit OTT but I was watching the game back on foxesplayer yesterday and I got a feeling that I don't think I've ever had while watching a player play for city before. A feeling of amazing honour that I'm alive to see who I feel will go on to be a top European player wearing a City shirt .

I think I have a serious case of man love :wub:

Now this might seem a bit OTT but I was watching the game back on foxesplayer yesterday and I got a feeling that I don't think I've ever had while watching a player play for city before. A feeling of amazing honour that I'm alive to see who I feel will go on to be a top European player wearing a City shirt .

I think I have a serious case of man love :wub:

If I was still alive, I'd have written a song about him by now!

I do sometimes worry that he's not a huge 'teamplayer'

A couple of times this season, against Huddersfield at home most recently, he's opted to run off on his own towards the fans to celebrate as opposed to with the team. In one game I remember Drinky going to actually fetch him to celebrate with the lads. I just hope he's liked within the team and not seen as a soloist or whatever.

But this is purely a minor complaint, he's obviously a great player and I do hope that he spends a good few years with us.

his family were sat in front of me and he runs to them . just like most football players do . you're talking shit !

Interesting feedback, thanks lads. I agree he looks an absolute gem, but without being able to see every minute of every match I've been unable to really gauge his true input. Sounds like he's been more useful than I feared - good stuff. :thumbup:

Morning Dave!

Keeping our shape did us no good at Watford, Leeds or Millwall and when we tried to tighten up against strong sides at the KP, we were turned over by Palace and Cardiff.

There is no evidence to suggest that keeping it tight does anything other than curtailing our attacking play and making us easier to beat, the games we lost away from home earlier in the season were always by just the odd goal and in general our defensive record is excellent.

The reason we lost those early games was because we could not score the goals our possession deserved but our attacking play in the final third probably did not. Relatively small changes to our our game could have given our strikers more support and perhaps resulted in more goals and more points.

If 'keeping our shape' (and setting up more defensively) was complemented by the ability to hit the opposition on the break I might actually agree, but it isn't.

It fooks up our passing game and we get pinned in our own half, hitting useless long balls up to our strikers.

The most naturally gifted player I've seen in a city shirt since I started going down at the end of the Pleat times.

Whether he gets that consistency needed to go up another notch to top prem/international player with age and a bit more experience I don't know.

More naturally gifted than Izzet?!

Have to say i was muzzys biggest fan at the time. But never considered him naturally gifted. Yes he had a bit of class but i think he made the most of some decent talent.

Knocky may never make it as far as muzzy but that will be down to attitude, not ability. Bags more natural talent if you ask me.

As much as I like knocky he has a long way to go to match Muzzy.

With a better quality video I can be seen jumping around in the aisle on that film. It was one of those rare moments you get in football when you know instantly that you have seen something legendary.

In terms of what?

Acheivement and status at the club maybe.

Natural ability and talent. Sorry not so sure there.

Muzzy dominated and dictated midfield in the premiership. His technique was excellent, could beat a man and passing and shooting accurate. I'm not knocking Knocky, I like him and he definitely has bags of ability but he is young and raw and as a result makes mistakes and his form dips, though I'm sure he will be a top player one day with experience and maturity.

Muzzy dominated and dictated midfield in the premiership. His technique was excellent, could beat a man and passing and shooting accurate. I'm not knocking Knocky, I like him and he definitely has bags of ability but he is young and raw and as a result makes mistakes and his form dips, though I'm sure he will be a top player one day with experience and maturity.

I agree with all of this but the original comment was "most naturally gifted"

I think some peeps are looking back with nostalgia at Muzzy.

There were some games he was bloody lightweight if my memory serves me rightly?

But he dint half score some goals!!

I think Knocky is/can be every bit as good as Muzzy.

Again, and I can't stress this enough... Lennon's presence gave Muz the licence to roam. Muzzy didn't have to defend. Neither should Knocky IMO. He needs to be forward where he can do damage. Same as David Silva for example.

I think at the minute for me it's still Muzzy. I think knocky has the talent and natural ability that muzzy had yet muzzy did it at a higher level and more consistently at the moment.

Let's just say your definition of natural ability is very different to seemingly everyone else.

Archived