Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Oadby Fox

Beckford told: Prove to me you're worthy

Beckford got all of 2 games and Nugent got double that without scoring this season

You think Waghorn's crap based on the 12 games he's started since we signed him don't you?

Have to say I agree with this as it is a very good point regardless of Beckford, really seems unable to cope with anyone he didnt buy or doesnt love - often including the higher paid players

Howard, Oakley, Fryatt, Kasper, Konchesky, Nugent?

You think Waghorn's crap based on the 12 games he's started since we signed him don't you?

Howard, Oakley, Fryatt, Kasper, Konchesky, Nugent?

no I just don't think he's as good as Nugent or Beckford, he's probavbly as good as Mr Can'tbedropped Jamie Vardy though

Beckford got all of 2 games and Nugent got double that without scoring this season

Firstly, the point is Nugent DID NOT start the season and WAS dropped contrary to what the other poster said. He was wrong.

Secondly, Nugent was by far and away our leading league goalscorer last year AND his all round game is vastly superior to Beckford. Who when he's not having his one good game in ten offers very little to the team in regards effort. He has proven his worth before, and is proving his worth again. He's already only 5 goals behind Beckfords total last year.

With that in mind I would say he very much deserves the patience given to him. Where as the other chap has done little since being here to prove that 10/20 games in the team is going to do anything to turn around his form.

As much as I feel Beckfords performances have been really poor recently especially against Blackpool I have to agree with Jimmy regarding what has Jamie Vardy done to show he is any better? Sometimes I think with strikers they need encouragement not punishment if you want the best out of them, after Wolves many were calling for Nugents head and hes scored 4 in 2 games since because we stuck with him

Nice thought, if only it was true. This is a man who relentlessly picks his personal favourites even if they have been out of form for months. Infact I would go as far as saying his steadfast refusal to drop certain players is one of his most central managerial philosophies. What he does in practice seems to be almost the exact opposite of what he has said in that interview. The way he repeats the part about high earners and high profiles numerous times betrays what this really is, a thinly veiled ego trip by a man who simply cannot handle any player whose profie is larger than his own.

Paul Konchesky has probably a bigger profile than any single player we have. He's played in the Premier for most of his time, and quite successfully. David Nugent has an England Cap and an FA Cup winners medal sat in his sock drawer at home. And yet the manager has seemingly no problem with their ability, their effort or their attitude.

How many Europa League finals, Caps and FA Cup winners medals have Beckford, Danns and Mills got under their belt? Perhaps you should ask the question why these players think they are high profile when they have done the square root of fook all in their careers? Other than losing in a playoff final and never scoring more than 9 goals above league one.

Firstly, the point is Nugent DID NOT start the season and WAS dropped contrary to what the other poster said. He was wrong.

Secondly, Nugent was by far and away our leading league goalscorer last year AND his all round game is vastly superior to Beckford. Who when he's not having his one good game in ten offers very little to the team in regards effort. He has proven his worth before, and is proving his worth again. He's already only 5 goals behind Beckfords total last year.

With that in mind I would say he very much deserves the patience given to him. Where as the other chap has done little since being here to prove that 10/20 games in the team is going to do anything to turn around his form.

Beckford scored 15 goals last year....

What has Jamie Vardy done to show he is any better?

Good question, putting aside his vastly superior work rate and team effort, lets look at their games to goals ratio, unfortunately not the greatest of samples so far on Vardys part as he has only played 7/8 games.

League

Beckford 4.33

Vardy 3.5

League and Cup

Beckford 2.93

Vardy 2.66

Many on here asking if anybody is actually defending Beckford anymore, for the record he is still a Leicester city player as we speak so that warrants your support to him until that changes.

Regarding him being lazy, not caring and everything else thrown at him on here and at the ground it will eventually get into the hardest of skins, for me I personally think the lad is very talented and the system we have adopted in recent games and the emergence of Knocky and his ability to pick a pass out which would suit Beckford down to the ground, I'm gagging for them to be on the pitch at the same time, unfortunately it seems this will never get a chance.

Many of you will say he has had his chance etc and fair enough that's your opinion and I respect that but he is hardly the only striker in the world that has gone through a patch of not scoring or looking out of sorts like many of you point out but I do believe the key is and has been he has played with players who are simply not on the same wave length, look at the players who were behind him last season that were there to create the chances for him, this season is different as we have a system that i'm sure would work for him.

Also for the record I rate Nugent and Vardy who will both score the goals we crave for but Beckford with a run would be a threat also, no striker in the world scores with every chance, bare that in mind, if ours did then they wouldn't be here.....

If he ever got a chance for us again I hope that you would all get behind him, unfortunately this seems very unlikely now and I hope for our sake he don't end up at another Championship club........

Beckford has had 1 season at the championship, Beckford's record is better in the premier league as well...

Waghorn has started 13 more games than Beckford in the Championship, he's scored 10 more goals. His goals per starts record is way ahead of Beckford's, and a lot of those games Waggy was forced onto the wing.

If he ever got a chance for us again I hope that you would all get behind him, unfortunately this seems very unlikely now and I hope for our sake he don't end up at another Championship club........

Well I can't see him going to the premier league and nobody in league one can afford him.

If he pulls on the shirt he will get supported

Waghorn has started 13 more games than Beckford in the Championship, he's scored 10 more goals. His goals per starts record is way ahead of Beckford's, and a lot of those games Waggy was forced onto the wing.

and the vast majority of those goals came THREE YEARS AGO!!! please keep up the man love for him but stop acting like he is so much better then JB fact is since Waghorn was bought by us their records will be about the same

Well I can't see him going to the premier league and nobody in league one can afford him.

If he pulls on the shirt he will get supported

yeah likely the same was Ricardo was "supported" and when he reacts in kind will be slated again

This is what pisses me off about these threads, why must it always descend into scrapping, and slagging off one player to defend another, as much as both Vardy and Nugent have struggled in front of goal this season, and in the case of Nuge, towards the end of last season too. They contribute a lot in other ways, in ways that Beckford doesn't, with good wing play and high energy tracking back (likwise Waghorn).

This doesn't mean Beckford should be doing those things, I have no problem with him being a front man, staying down the middle and being on the shoulder of the last defender and not tracking back, or drifting out wide.

What it comes down to is we have to consider the team over and above all individuals, and as much as based on past glories Beckford is the best natural finisher at the club, he has continued to underperform, and miss chances, if he made up for that with the rest of his game, like Vardy does, then it can be forgiven, but like Gallagher, if he is not scoring goals, then he doesn't add much to the team.

Of course goals are important, but from what I have seen of Beckford, he has not looked like scoring goals, now maybe it is a confidence thing or form, maybe he needs a run of 3-4 games to find his form, but we cannot afford to carry Beckford for 3-4 games if he is not scoring, whereas Waghorn or Vardy can take wider positions, or track back much more than Beckford and offer more to the team.

The best thing really is for him to go on loan, play some football, prove his worth, and then come back in a better position to fight for his place, and deserve it.

What you mean the two months when he was our main striker as Fryatt was out? Don't think so.

Archived