Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicesterpool

Defender needed or not?

Do We Need Another Defender?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Do We Need Another Defender?

• Yes
    • No

A LeicesterPool Poll :D:scarf::trumpet::worship::wub::clap::yahoo:

To answer the question, I think we could do with a back-up left back and that is all.

If St Ledger is injured we got Whitbread or Moore to step in at centre back, while De Laet will play right-back.

Backup left back I would think is Schlupp!!

Yes. Someone quick, versatile and who can pass the ball. If St Leger is out for four weeks minimum - plus perhaps another two matches to return to his best we're leaving ourselves thin if De Laet or anyone else fails to make it.

Schlupp is probably adequate cover at left back but it's at right-back and centre-back I have my concerns. I really don't know about Whitbread. People have said he's a good player but I've seen no evidence of anything but a bloke who can't concentrate and whose distribution is careless and nothing like the standard we're trying to set for ourselves.

If we've not seen the "real" Whitbread it still poses the question "why?" After all teams like Burton and Bristol City during their last almost totally unambitious half-hour on Saturday should hardly be "testing". And yet Whitbread dropped major clangers in both games and sent the ball every which-way but to a colleague with his head.

Our fans have this way of rating and celebrating almost any new signing but you'd need a seriously understanding mind to be impressed with Whitbread thus far. No, I'm not saying he's hopeless. He does at least seem to have the technique and positional appreciation to do well. But would I trust him? Not yet by a long way.

Yes. Someone quick, versatile and who can pass the ball. If St Leger is out for four weeks minimum - plus perhaps another two matches to return to his best we're leaving ourselves thin if De Laet or anyone else fails to make it.

Schlupp is probably adequate cover at left back but it's at right-back and centre-back I have my concerns. I really don't know about Whitbread. People have said he's a good player but I've seen no evidence of anything but a bloke who can't concentrate and whose distribution is careless and nothing like the standard we're trying to set for ourselves.

If we've not seen the "real" Whitbread it still poses the question "why?" After all teams like Burton and Bristol City during their last almost totally unambitious half-hour on Saturday should hardly be "testing". And yet Whitbread dropped major clangers in both games and sent the ball every which-way but to a colleague with his head.

Our fans have this way of rating and celebrating almost any new signing but you'd need a seriously understanding mind to be impressed with Whitbread thus far. No, I'm not saying he's hopeless. He does at least seem to have the technique and positional appreciation to do well. But would I trust him? Not yet by a long way.

I think it's just a complete lack of any match time, he's bound to be rusty. I saw him for Norwich a few times last season and during their promotion season, and he looked a class act. I just think it'll take some game time before he gets back to his best - hopefully, if he gets his chance now, he'll take it and make the position his own. This is certainly his best chance.

Give Whitbread a run in the reserves over the break (assuming theyre playing games) to try and get him up to scratch, then give him a go. Granted, we've seen very little of him so far, but he does look very rusty and was a particularly weak link in the Burton defeat. I still think he can be a great player for us.

Failing that, it can't hurt to pull someone in on loan - James Tomkins from West Ham maybe? Not getting game time and proved last season to be solid at Championship level.

Maybe on the safe side it could be possible to bring in a CB on loan if Whitbread's game fitness is questionable but I cannot think of too many options that would come here to be a stopgap while St Ledger and Whitbread get back to fitness.

Why are people obsessed with chopping and changing the squad? We need a bit of stability!

This. But fans are possibly a little cautious the fact that our squad is a tad too small? I see our squad as very versatile so we should be fine in the meantime.

Give Whitbread a run in the reserves over the break (assuming theyre playing games) to try and get him up to scratch, then give him a go. Granted, we've seen very little of him so far, but he does look very rusty and was a particularly weak link in the Burton defeat. I still think he can be a great player for us.

Failing that, it can't hurt to pull someone in on loan - James Tomkins from West Ham maybe? Not getting game time and proved last season to be solid at Championship level.

Tomkins has played in West Ham's last two Premier games.

Not convinced Allardyce will want to let him go.

This. But fans are possibly a little cautious the fact that our squad is a tad too small? I see our squad as very versatile so we should be fine in the meantime.

Defensive cover may well be there within the current squad. But is it of the standard we need?

At least two of the three league defeats so far could have been avoided if an experienced, quality centre-back had been available alongside Big Wes,

With St Ledger out for at least a month, another option may well be needed.

In all fairness if we bring anyone in to cover they need to be up to this standard and match fit. What's the point in bringing someone in from the premier who hasn't played all year? Especially when it's only for a month or two. Whitbread Moore Morgan James can all play there we would be better off giving one of our own youngsters a shot.

With St Ledger getting injured i can see even more problems at the back, De Laet seems to pick up injures quite often. Looking at our back four it already looks weak as it is, if Nigel does decide to bring in a loan signing then my suggestion would be for possibly young upcoming defender Nathan Baker from villa, not sure if villa would loan him to the foxes but even if its a short loan it really would boost our defence even more?

Anymore suggestions?

We've got problems at the back?

Looking forward to seeing what Whitbread can do over the next month. I do think Nigel will have one eye on the loan market as we've one or two delicate defenders and not 'much' cover. I'd be interested to see what Taft can do, but would Nigel risk another youngster at the back when we're this high up the league?

Archived