Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Safe Standing - Support the Early Day motion

Absolutely, in a manner that does not effect the experience for those that do or do not want to stand. Let's hope those that prefer to stand get an area where they can

Clearly any standing areas would need to be positioned correctly but if it's done properly there's no reason why anyone should lose out. It's not like they're going to put a row of standing in front of a row of sitting is it. 

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba

Guest CityFan 06

Ideally it'd be good to establish the areas of the stadium where most people stand. For example L1 and SK1 are probably the favourite candidates for this. But the only issue with that is, is that say SK1 Block was reverted to standing, there's still bound to be a number of fans in there who would want to sit. 

Ideally it'd be good to establish the areas of the stadium where most people stand. For example L1 and SK1 are probably the favourite candidates for this. But the only issue with that is, is that say SK1 Block was reverted to standing, there's still bound to be a number of fans in there who would want to sit.

Unfortunately some people would have to be moved.

Guest CityFan 06

Unfortunately some people would have to be moved.

Indeed I suppose they would. I think it would work for the better though. Fans who would want to sit would congregate together, and same for the standers.  

I'm all for the choice of sit or stand, either is difficult for me for a whole match as I have a particularly painful hip problem, so I get the sit or stand choice in front of the TV.

Are we going to need incinerator placements for letting off fireworks safely during Champions league matches :rolleyes: 

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully they don't balls it up by going too daft in it before we can get it installed here.

They're free to go nuts after that.

That's what I'm worried about, Celtic don't have the best disciplinary record and the Green Brigade have a strange relationship with the club. It's almost like they're giving it to them expecting something to happen, so when it does they can blame rail seats and put the process back another 15 years. 

That's what I'm worried about, Celtic don't have the best disciplinary record and the Green Brigade have a strange relationship with the club. It's almost like they're giving it to them expecting something to happen, so when it does they can blame rail seats and put the process back another 15 years. 

Not sure the club would spend all that money on it if they didn't want the area to succeed. Whether they want the Green Brigade running the show there is another matter entirely though, I agree.

I'm sure various authorities down here would use any excuse they could find with this new section to stop it becoming a reality though.

Surely theres now an arquement for standing areas to be allowed back into football grounds after the latest hillsborough inquiry.
  • Like 1

What the heck, I will go there! I don't want standing back and this needs consigning to the history books permanently. 

I stood on the Kop at Filbert Street I got bashed about, knocked to the floor (I am not a small man) and seen lunatics use the mass ranks to give Police and Stewards a kicking. I go to the game to watch the match and support the team, not to go back to the Victorian age.

Seating has been a blessing and I want to see them remain.

What the heck, I will go there! I don't want standing back and this needs consigning to the history books permanently. 

I stood on the Kop at Filbert Street I got bashed about, knocked to the floor (I am not a small man) and seen lunatics use the mass ranks to give Police and Stewards a kicking. I go to the game to watch the match and support the team, not to go back to the Victorian age.

just stay away from the area that's terraced then

Another ignorant fan when it comes to what rail seating is. Do some research first pal

Oh yes, very good. Try and dismiss someone's point of view by accusations of ignorance if they disagree with you. I have looked into this and it still has little to commend it.

What does anyone think will be gained by returning to standing? We won't get better atmosphere than we have now and it won't be automatically much cheaper. 

Edited by IrememberBobHazell

Oh yes, very good. Try and dismiss someone's point of view by accusations of ignorance if they disagree with you. I have looked into this and it still has little to commend it.

What does anyone think will be gained by returning to standing? We won't get better atmosphere than we have now and it won't be automatically much cheaper. 

A) You wouldn't be obliged to go into a standing section. Nobody would be forcing you, and there would be plenty of seating available anyway.

B) If you were in a safe standing area, you'd only have to give the steward a shout and they'd set down the rail seat for you to sit on if you wanted.

You clearly are showing ignorance. You make it sound like they're going to tear up all the seats, replace them with pens and fences and force all fans to use them. That will never happen in a million years - Safe Standing would only be introduced in areas with "core" fans who stand through most matches anyway - in the case of our ground it would be viable in L1 and SK1. Nobody's going to chuck the kids in the family stand or the old duffers by the tunnel in there with them.

• Like 4

30% increase in capacity.

30% increase in capacity.

The rarity of any kind of serious incident at football matches shows that there is no latent rage waiting to boil over as you suggest. The kind of fan you describe would find opportunities to engage in violence but they don't because so few of them exist.

In response to your other points, just don't stand if you don't want to. That's a perfectly valid choice. Let's let everyone watch the game the way they want to!

• 2 weeks later...

There maybe an increase in capacity which is a consideration and the civil liberty argument obviously plays well. We are, of course, entitled to ask what has permanently changed in the behaviour of fans since seating became the norm as intimated above.

I personally believe that there are those (and make your own decision if you are one of them) that there is some kind of rose tinted nostalgia associated with standing which I never shared. 

There maybe an increase in capacity which is a consideration and the civil liberty argument obviously plays well. We are, of course, entitled to ask what has permanently changed in the behaviour of fans since seating became the norm as intimated above.

I personally believe that there are those (and make your own decision if you are one of them) that there is some kind of rose tinted nostalgia associated with standing which I never shared. 

Nostalgia shouldn't have anything to do with it. Rail seating could not be further away from old style terraces.  

• Like 1

As said, nostalgia has nothing to do with it. Supporters stand up en masse in their thousands, week in week out, up and down the country in the present day. Do you think the behaviour of fans is as bad now as it was when terraces were the norm? The arrest statistics for violent behaviour wouldn't suggest so.

Anything that can make the experience safer for those choosing to stand at present should be paramount. The introduction of rail seating is a no-brainer in that respect.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 1

Safe standing remains something of an oxy-moron to me.

Aside from the civil liberties aspect what actually do we gain by going backwards to modern design terraces (and that is surely what they are).

That is not what they are at all.

Have a read of this.  :)

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/safe-standing-mythbuster/

Edited by Voll Blau

Aside from the civil liberties aspect what actually do we gain by going backwards to modern design terraces (and that is surely what they are).

It's only unsafe if there are surges or crowds gathering in large groups in a small space. It won't happen.

Edited by Corky

What do we gain? For starters my shins won't be mush.