Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

Brighton post-match thread

I'll go as far as saying that's out worst performance of the season but we still managed to grind out the win so well done to the lads. Special mention to Morgan and Drinkwater. Whitbread getting stringer with every game too.

Kingy seems to have gained a yard of pace. For all their possession I thought the seagulls were poor. Never really created anything of note.

I'm pleased more than anything that we can play below par and win.

What's he done now?

Got back about 25 mins ago.

We certainly made hard work of that, it was pretty boring for 70 minutes of the game. First 20 we were all over them, some of the best football I've seen us play ever. Then it all went quiet we had a couple of chances here and there, and so did Brighton through Mackail-Smith but nothing major.

If it wasn't for the midfield tonight, I believe it would of been a draw, King and Drinkwater controlled everything from start to finish, they were both excellent. Meanwhile Knockaert for me wasn't at his best tonight, he did some awful things and gave the ball away a few times, but then of course did some amazing things. Whitbread and Morgan seemed quite comfortable, but at times they didn't look the most stable, with Whitbread giving away a penalty, and just hoofing everything out of touch.

Average performance but a win is a win :)

We played much better on Saturday and couldn't finish our chances.

Tonight we seemed to come out well, score, then ease right off nearly allowing the poofs a point.

Mind you it was a win, and that's what counts.

In my opinion we need a quality finisher asap.

Why was De Laet booked? Did the ref think he was giving Schmeichel advice or something??

Cracking result either way, love it. Usually at this point in the season we're all saying 'only 2 points off the play-offs', always having to play catch-up. So good seeing us 6 points inside, and 3 ahead of 3rd. Love how wound up players get by Knockaert as well lol, number 2 was a right cvnt to him, wouldn't let it go after Knocky did that little flick. I was praying that Knockaert wouldn't come up against him in a 50/50 because he looked like he'd take great pleasure in smashing him.

Just got back. It was a grind for 70mins. Not a sterling performance but we would not have won this game in the last couple of years. With Mills and Bamba instead of Morgan and Whitbread we lose this game. I trust Morgan more than any CB since O'Neill. Just never expect an error from the guy.

Biggest plus for me tonight was the team defending as a team.

I thought they played some nice football and are one of the better sides I've seen this year.

Andy King, I thought, was superb.

What, OUR Andy King? The same Andy King who was rubbish all last season? Fook me, I'm flabergasted.

i thought it was a very labored performance from us tonight, i certainly dont have a clue how it was a penalty....must have fell over a fart or something.

even tho we wasnt brilliant...we never really looked overly troubled imo. We certainly wouldnt have won games like that last season

also....im glad i wasnt cold either :P

Why was De Laet booked? Did the ref think he was giving Schmeichel advice or something??

Cracking result either way, love it. Usually at this point in the season we're all saying 'only 2 points off the play-offs', always having to play catch-up. So good seeing us 6 points inside, and 3 ahead of 3rd. Love how wound up players get by Knockaert as well lol, number 2 was a right cvnt to him, wouldn't let it go after Knocky did that little flick. I was praying that Knockaert wouldn't come up against him in a 50/50 because he looked like he'd take great pleasure in smashing him.

Ya thats exactley my hopes were always up because we were only 2pts off play-offs or if this team beats that team and this other team beats that other team AND WE WIN WE'RE IN THE PLAY=OFF PLACES!!lol

Back to a very flat 4-4-2 for most of opening 70 minutes tonight and we looked a whole lot less effective. Much better when reverted back to 4-2-3-1 at end, although admittedly, they were pressing hard for equalizer by then. Thought our centre-halves looked strong and, if ZW can just get away with his occasional stumble for a couple more games whilst he gets match sharp, I think we'll be well on the way at the back.

Good performance, great at times, but generally we were better than Brighton, good crowd and at times the atmosphere was very good at times flat.

Thought Morgan was excellent & Kasper, did everything that was asked of him, Whitbread looked good when not making mistakes, king and drinkwater bossed it in the middle.

Knockaert was superb at times worth the £15 alone...

...But he did spend too much time on the left, and left the right exposed, if he is to play a free role than vardy or Nugent need to cover that space.

Finally Waghorn, when not in front of goal looked very good, chased down everything put the defenders under a lot of pressure and helped us keep the ball and won it back a number times, although some tackles were borderline. But in front of goal he just looked panicked. Good free kick pushed wide, and great cross for Dyer, but made a mess of a decent chance in front of goal and had a wild swing in the middle of the first half that spooned up in the air. Not sure how close he was to the shot cross in the second half.

Any news on why he went off? Was after a collision with drinkwater, not sure if it was an injury. I am not surprised Nugent went off for vardy, thought at the time when I say vardy warming up that Nugent hadn't done anything and waggy was playing better.

Overall good performance, a few lulls but can't complain. Schmeichel didn't put a finger wrong, and King put in a great performance. I know everyone thinks the ref is against them, but besides the penalty (right call IMO) he seemed to give Brighton the benefit of the doubt far too many times. And bloody Cardiff... Having to take our points lead away in injury time!

Good performance, great at times, but generally we were better than Brighton, good crowd and at times the atmosphere was very good at times flat.

Thought Morgan was excellent & Kasper, did everything that was asked of him, Whitbread looked good when not making mistakes, king and drinkwater bossed it in the middle.

Knockaert was superb at times worth the £15 alone...

...But he did spend too much time on the left, and left the right exposed, if he is to play a free role than vardy or Nugent need to cover that space.

Finally Waghorn, when not in front of goal looked very good, chased down everything put the defenders under a lot of pressure and helped us keep the ball and won it back a number times, although some tackles were borderline. But in front of goal he just looked panicked. Good free kick pushed wide, and great cross for Dyer, but made a mess of a decent chance in front of goal and had a wild swing in the middle of the first half that spooned up in the air. Not sure how close he was to the shot cross in the second half.

Any news on why he went off? Was after a collision with drinkwater, not sure if it was an injury. I am not surprised Nugent went off for vardy, thought at the time when I say vardy warming up that Nugent hadn't done anything and waggy was playing better.

Waghorn was meant to go off but Nuge signaled the bench and they changed who was going off.

Andy King was my man of the match. Now the lad has got a lot of stick over the last year but today he was superb. He was everywhere and won everything, and of course - he scored. With Drinkwater's tireless effort I think they are forming a great partnership.

I think he was just knackered, the starting front 4 put in a huge effort defensively, they pressed well, covered for each other when our attacks broke down, and they tracked the Brighton DM excellently even when Waghorn, Knockear and Dyer were swapping positions in the first half. Waghorn, Nugent or Knockeart always dropped onto Brighton's 26 and nulified him, it allowed King and Drinkwater to man mark their two further forward midfidlers and be a lot more aggressive in the tackles. For the first 20 minutes of both halves we won possession this way many times and probably should have done better from the situations, but defensively it really shut Brighton down, they were forced to retain possession with slow build ups or hit long balls to their front 3 which we dealt with well. Taking Waghorn and Nugent off earlier than you'd expect was probably to keep this up deeper into the second half, we were far more likely to concede from allowing Brighton to play quickly though their midfield because our tired strikers couldn't harry their CBs + DM enough than because we used our subs early and got an injury in the final 20mins.

Archived