Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

Scottish Football

Quite a horrible league.

You only see largely Celtic's and Ranger's stadiums full on matchdays, whilst the rest can often been seen having plenty of empty seats quite frequently.

Not sure if it's a shame or not, coming from the south of the border.

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Quite a horrible league.

You only see largely Celtic's and Ranger's stadiums full on matchdays, whilst the rest can often been seen having plenty of empty seats quite frequently.

Someone like Vac will correct me if I'm wrong but I'd imagine Celtic and Rangers hoover up plenty of fans in those areas as so few other teams in the past 30 years have won much. Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs have respectable crowds but they've had some cup success and European football. The likes of St Johnstone, Hamilton, Livingston, St Mirren who are yo-yo teams will have a small core group and very few tourists/ hangers-on.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Quite a horrible league.

Scotland has the highest percentage in Europe of it's population watch football at weekends. 

The clubs have lots of empty seats but then get four big days when Celtic and Rangers fill their stadiums for their fixtures. Similarly the clubs from Edinburgh and Aberdeen can sell out on the right occasion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People traveling for hours from elsewhere in Scotland and, sigh, from Northern Ireland, to go and watch the Glasgow clubs is the bane of the game up here.

A few years ago I was told by a director at Arbroath that three busloads a week go out. Not mixed buses, obvs :ph34r:  Imagine the difference they would make to their home town club and imagine that multiplied across the game in Scotland.

It's not just the fans who are hoovered up, the other clubs' best players and managers are lured away, too.  

In addition to @Corky 's list, Kilmarnock are currently doing extremely well under Steve Clarke, on their awful plastic pitch, but they aren't brilliantly supported.   

I just checked and they get 11 or 12 thousand when Rangers and Celtic visit, but 5 or 6 thousand most of the rest of the time.

Dundee United were a powerhouse in Europe in living memory but have fallen on hard times.  They were never massively supported, either.

The club up here I follow, Partick Thistle, is currently in the lower reaches of the Championship, but are on a par, support wise, with the yo-yo teams in the top flight @Corky mentioned, as are most of the clubs in The Championship, except maybe Alloa, whose players are part time.

I went to Inverness Cally Thistle on Saturday (a pleasant and very rare 2-1 away win for Patrick Thistle).  ICTFC have the word "Inverness" written in the seats on one side of the ground. You could still read the word when the "crowd" of 2,171 was in, because it's yet another stadium built for the money-spinning visits of Celtic and Rangers, now not happening after relegation.

One of the reasons that Scottish football is so well-supported as a proportion of population is its unusual structure. 

Junior Football (non league) is thriving and sometimes gets higher crowds than some lower league games.

Police leave is cancelled when Cumnock  Juniors play against Auchinleck Talbot (there was a riot at their game a few years back) but I bet most people in Leicester have never heard of either club.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vacamion said:

People traveling for hours from elsewhere in Scotland and, sigh, from Northern Ireland, to go and watch the Glasgow clubs is the bane of the game up here.

A few years ago I was told by a director at Arbroath that three busloads a week go out. Not mixed buses, obvs :ph34r:  Imagine the difference they would make to their home town club and imagine that multiplied across the game in Scotland.

It's not just the fans who are hoovered up, the other clubs' best players and managers are lured away, too.  

In addition to @Corky 's list, Kilmarnock are currently doing extremely well under Steve Clarke, on their awful plastic pitch, but they aren't brilliantly supported.   

I just checked and they get 11 or 12 thousand when Rangers and Celtic visit, but 5 or 6 thousand most of the rest of the time.

Dundee United were a powerhouse in Europe in living memory but have fallen on hard times.  They were never massively supported, either.

The club up here I follow, Partick Thistle, is currently in the lower reaches of the Championship, but are on a par, support wise, with the yo-yo teams in the top flight @Corky mentioned, as are most of the clubs in The Championship, except maybe Alloa, whose players are part time.

I went to Inverness Cally Thistle on Saturday (a pleasant and very rare 2-1 away win for Patrick Thistle).  ICTFC have the word "Inverness" written in the seats on one side of the ground. You could still read the word when the "crowd" of 2,171 was in, because it's yet another stadium built for the money-spinning visits of Celtic and Rangers, now not happening after relegation.

One of the reasons that Scottish football is so well-supported as a proportion of population is its unusual structure. 

Junior Football (non league) is thriving and sometimes gets higher crowds than some lower league games.

Police leave is cancelled when Cumnock  Juniors play against Auchinleck Talbot (there was a riot at their game a few years back) but I bet most people in Leicester have never heard of either club.

Admittedly, I only heard of them after they beat Ayr in the cup.

6 hours ago, Vacamion said:

The crowds are really big for the Glasgow based Junior clubs. When you think non-league over here to be a bit twee, the Junior game is far more tribal. 

I just noticed the two Croatian lads at Rangers have mentioned they meet their fellow Croatian players at Celtic to attend late night Catholic mass. I am sure that's gone down well. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Seems to be an endless cycle from all the clubs that the officials are against them..

Are they that bad or the clubs paranoid? 

That's every team in every game around the world. More often than not players and fans of both teams involved in any football match at any level in any country around the world come away from a match thinking the officials were biased against them.

The only way the sectarian crap ends (at the grounds, as I doubt it will ever end inside private members' clubs) is when they make the club of the offending fans play behind closed doors and deduct the club points on a sliding increasing scale every single time their fans have done it. 

11 hours ago, Vacamion said:

The only way the sectarian crap ends (at the grounds, as I doubt it will ever end inside private members' clubs) is when they make the club of the offending fans play behind closed doors and deduct the club points on a sliding increasing scale every single time their fans have done it. 

With Brendan's imminent arrival at us, it looks as though Neil Lennon is tipped to take over until the summer.

That won't provoke anything.