Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Interesting news topics.

Todays Merc.   A mum is furious because her daughter has been excluded from school for throwing a gummy bear Haribo at a teacher on a charity fun day.  Apparently it was classed as "assaulting an adult".       I absolutely agree with this and would go further and say that she was lucky not to receive a stiff jail sentence.    I recall my grandad (remember him) telling me of his exploits in the first world war when he served in the Kings Own Gummy Bear Brigade ...   they were front line assault troops who would go in first and lob gummy bears into the enemy trenches ...   apparently just hearing the rustle of the sweet packets as they approached was enough to send many a German fleeing in terror. 

IMG_1428.jpg

1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

Couple name their child Abcde and then complain when she gets the piss taken out of her. What the feck were they expecting? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46393501

"Some people are not very nice", for instance some people insist on giving their kids 'unique' names for smug self-satisfaction without considering how it will affect their child.

11 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

"Some people are not very nice", for instance some people insist on giving their kids 'unique' names for smug self-satisfaction without considering how it will affect their child.

Going through life as ‘Carl the Llama’ can’t be easy either. 

You have my sympathy. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Exactly.

The worst thing is that apparently the pronunciation is Ab-si-dee. In that case, why on earth would you not spell it that and avoid the alphabet shite?

It's blatantly some strange self indulgence otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/11/2018 at 10:13, Countryfox said:

Todays Merc.   A mum is furious because her daughter has been excluded from school for throwing a gummy bear Haribo at a teacher on a charity fun day.  Apparently it was classed as "assaulting an adult".       I absolutely agree with this and would go further and say that she was lucky not to receive a stiff jail sentence.    I recall my grandad (remember him) telling me of his exploits in the first world war when he served in the Kings Own Gummy Bear Brigade ...   they were front line assault troops who would go in first and lob gummy bears into the enemy trenches ...   apparently just hearing the rustle of the sweet packets as they approached was enough to send many a German fleeing in terror. 

IMG_1428.jpg

Gummy bears were invented in Germany in 1922.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Social Media could be banned in the UK if they fail to delete harmful content posted by individuals, following the suicide of a young girl.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47019912

Cause and correlation though:  Did she kill herself because she saw those posts or did she view those posts because she wanted to kill herself? I think any kind of ban would be an overreaction though, after all these kind of things happened long before social media, using it as a scapegoat won't fix the issue.

Back in my youthful drinking days, there were mornings when I woke up with embarrassing memories of conduct while off my head, and serious apologies to make.

Never anything quite on a par with this bloke, though: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47093000

"A burglar who had sex with a corpse after breaking into a funeral parlour has been jailed for six years. Kasim Khuram, 23, had sex with a woman's body after lifting the lids of coffins at the Co-Operative undertakers in Walsall Road, Great Barr, Birmingham, on 11 November. Khuram disturbed nine coffins during a drug-induced psychosis".

:blink:

• 2 months later...

https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/why-theoretical-physics-says-the-us-is-ungovernable/

Posted with input from a friend:

"I know I have shared this before, but this solidly lays out the reasons I think Nation States are obsolete.

The world is increasingly becoming more complex, and hierarchies headed by single people (presidents/CEO's) or even small groups of people (Congress, Supreme Court, Boards) cannot manage that complexity.

Whether through wider integration (EU), or collapse. I think States will become less relevant. I don't think they're necessary, and may even be an impediment to complex governance.

That's why I like Switzerland's system of semi direct democracy. That's why I like democratic and cooperative economics. I think networked and distributed forms of governance are preferable, at multiple scales.

That's why I focus on the community and city level. Because networks of community and cities, regions, and all the way up to the global scale... That starts to look a lot like what I am talking about.

Maybe not a One World Government, but a loose global federation with cities and communities as the neurons."

On 23/04/2019 at 14:58, leicsmac said:

https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/why-theoretical-physics-says-the-us-is-ungovernable/

Posted with input from a friend:

"I know I have shared this before, but this solidly lays out the reasons I think Nation States are obsolete.

The world is increasingly becoming more complex, and hierarchies headed by single people (presidents/CEO's) or even small groups of people (Congress, Supreme Court, Boards) cannot manage that complexity.

Whether through wider integration (EU), or collapse. I think States will become less relevant. I don't think they're necessary, and may even be an impediment to complex governance.

That's why I like Switzerland's system of semi direct democracy. That's why I like democratic and cooperative economics. I think networked and distributed forms of governance are preferable, at multiple scales.

That's why I focus on the community and city level. Because networks of community and cities, regions, and all the way up to the global scale... That starts to look a lot like what I am talking about.

Maybe not a One World Government, but a loose global federation with cities and communities as the neurons."

Of course, fully onboard with the point about complex systems (fully) and decision-making (to an extent) but man this was rally bad, he didn't actually manage to answer any of the questions on how it would work. Particularly enjoyed the bit about society having to decide who forms the groups that decide what to do but no indication on how society decides - presumably we create a group of people that know what they're doing to decide who knows what they're doing so can make decisions but then we need to create a group to decide on which group knows what they're doing enough to decide who knows what they're doing so can make decisions.

I'll stop being obtuse but ultimately, it's just another epistocracy argument. Essentially create juries on different scales that decide as a unit what to do. 

Maths turned academic economics into a farce, now let's turn academic politics into a farce by using theoretical physics.

6 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Of course, fully onboard with the point about complex systems (fully) and decision-making (to an extent) but man this was rally bad, he didn't actually manage to answer any of the questions on how it would work. Particularly enjoyed the bit about society having to decide who forms the groups that decide what to do but no indication on how society decides - presumably we create a group of people that know what they're doing to decide who knows what they're doing so can make decisions but then we need to create a group to decide on which group knows what they're doing enough to decide who knows what they're doing so can make decisions.

I'll stop being obtuse but ultimately, it's just another epistocracy argument. Essentially create juries on different scales that decide as a unit what to do. 

Maths turned academic economics into a farce, now let's turn academic politics into a farce by using theoretical physics.

Fair enough - so with the problem but not really the solution, then?

What do you think is the solution - if indeed there is one?

53 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Fair enough - so with the problem but not really the solution, then?

What do you think is the solution - if indeed there is one?

Well I agree that complex systems can't be managed by individuals or very small groups of people but I'm not so sure it's the problem he makes it out to be given that isn't really how things work (maybe the current POTUS could be an exception). Clearly some Central Banks set monetary policy similarly to how he suggests things should work, are they close enough to optimal? If a group is installed in position (and its still hierarchal btw) what about other experts that think differently. What about groupthink? To me it just creates different problems.

I am definitely not capable of coming up with a solution of how political and societal systems should be structured for 'optimality'. Tbh I don't really think I understand how this works? It's just words to me

"That's why I like Switzerland's system of semi direct democracy. That's why I like democratic and cooperative economics. I think networked and distributed forms of governance are preferable, at multiple scales.

7 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Well I agree that complex systems can't be managed by individuals or very small groups of people but I'm not so sure it's the problem he makes it out to be given that isn't really how things work (maybe the current POTUS could be an exception). Clearly some Central Banks set monetary policy similarly to how he suggests things should work, are they close enough to optimal? If a group is installed in position (and its still hierarchal btw) what about other experts that think differently. What about groupthink? To me it just creates different problems.

I am definitely not capable of coming up with a solution of how political and societal systems should be structured for 'optimality'. Tbh I don't really think I understand how this works? It's just words to me

"That's why I like Switzerland's system of semi direct democracy. That's why I like democratic and cooperative economics. I think networked and distributed forms of governance are preferable, at multiple scales.

I might ask him for further clarification on the quote if that might help - btw, he's a theoretical physicist himself, in case you were curious. FWIW I read it as a form of more decentralised decision-making involving more direct democracy.

I think you could well be right in that groups making decisions might lead to bigger problems, but while what we have right now is the least imperfect form yet tried, the way the world is now states quite clearly that there is definitely room for improvement and the nation state might well hinder that improvement.