Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Interesting news topics.

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Wow, this is the sort of thing you see on Sci-Fi films!

Part of me thinks it must be a piss take and a wind up! lol

4 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Wow, this is the sort of thing you see on Sci-Fi films!

Part of me thinks it must be a piss take and a wind up! lol

4 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Honestly reads like an episode of black mirror. :blink:

I know, sounds stranger than fiction, right? But it ain't.

The authoritarianism government over there have decided that digital means is the best way to maintain power in this day and age - accountability for that power be damned. I can see why they're taking that route, it's much more clever and looks better than breaking out the secret police all the time (not that they don't do that when the situation demands it too) but if they become too reliant on it to run things they may well find out such a system is as fallible as any other system. Look at how many holes there are available in the Great Firewall to someone even vaguely computer savvy.

Edited by leicsmac

On 20/09/2018 at 03:14, leicsmac said:

Wow. Scary as all hell is right, mac.

I don't suppose the amount of surveillance and the use of phones is really all that different - I've no doubt the government could quite easily find out what I bought at Morrisons on saturday if they wanted to. But the idea that all of that data is collected in one system that controls your life, your children's lives. Honestly, I can barely fathom that anyone really thinks that's actually a good idea for a whole society. How deep do the ideals of the state and control have to be within your pysche for that to work?

Proper frightening glimpse at a potential future.

On 20/09/2018 at 07:01, Innovindil said:

Honestly reads like an episode of black mirror. :blink:

Pretty sure it is an episode of black mirror. Not seen it myself but I remember someone telling me about the episode recently and thinking I ought to watch it.

On 20/09/2018 at 10:14, leicsmac said:

Ahh the good old.. if youve done nothing wrong, youve nothing to fear line :)

7 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Wow. Scary as all hell is right, mac.

I don't suppose the amount of surveillance and the use of phones is really all that different - I've no doubt the government could quite easily find out what I bought at Morrisons on saturday if they wanted to. But the idea that all of that data is collected in one system that controls your life, your children's lives. Honestly, I can barely fathom that anyone really thinks that's actually a good idea for a whole society. How deep do the ideals of the state and control have to be within your pysche for that to work?

Proper frightening glimpse at a potential future.

34 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Ahh the good old.. if youve done nothing wrong, youve nothing to fear line :)

Yep. Frightening.

I'll repeat what I said above though - the one comfort is that such a system is, like any other, fallible - no matter how many redundancies you build into it.

• Like 1

On 25/09/2018 at 06:39, leicsmac said:

Yep. Frightening.

I'll repeat what I said above though - the one comfort is that such a system is, like any other, fallible - no matter how many redundancies you build into it.

Is that not a part of you that thinks it's kinda cool and could actually work. We've tried many ways of preventing crime and anti social behaviour. If this works and they create a safer,  kinder, socially responsible society, would that not be a good thing?

First Women Physics Nobel prize winner in 55 years.

the 2018 Nobel prize in physics has been awarded to a women for the first time in 55 years.

Donna Strickland, from Canada is only the third women winner after Marie Curie in 1903 and Maria Goeppaet - Meyer who was awarde the prize in 1963

Dr Strickland shares the prize with Arthur Ashkin and Gerard Morou

it recognises their discoveries in laser physics