Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Interesting news topics.

On 12/07/2018 at 15:36, Buce said:

Well, that's absolutely horrendous!

Travelling around India in the past, I've seen so many people with at least one grossly long fingernail.

Some told me that to be able to do it signifies they're of a higher class. Some ill advised way to show that you don't do manual labour jobs. Most of the people I've seen with are hardly setting the world alight. So grim.

Alabama employee gets new car from boss after 20-mile walk

A US company owner gave an employee a new car after he went the extra mile - 20 miles (32km) in fact, walking all night to make his first day at work.

After his own car broke down, Walter Carr made the long commute by foot through the suburbs of Birmingham, Alabama, to his new job in removals.

A police officer spoke to Mr Carr en route and, impressed by his grit, took him to get some breakfast.

Praise for Mr Carr has flooded social media since his story was shared.

Jenny Lamey, a customer of the moving firm, wrote on Facebook that she and her husband had awoken early last Friday to prepare for movers who were due to arrive at around 08:00.

Image Copyright @BellhopsMoving@BELLHOPSMOVING
At 06:30, their doorbell rang, and Ms Lamey met Mr Carr, who was accompanied by a police officer from the Pelham police force.

"He proceeded to tell us that he had picked up 'this nice kid' in Pelham early this morning," said Ms Lamey.

"The nice kid, Walter, said that he was supposed to help us with our move today."

She continued: "He WALKED ALL NIGHT to get from Homewood to Pelham. Because he needed to get to work. For those reading this that are not local, that's over 20 miles.

Image Copyright @PelhamPoliceAL@PELHAMPOLICEAL
"The police officer said they picked him up earlier that morning, took him to get some breakfast and once they checked his story out, brought Walter to our house."

Ms Lamey said she offered him a rest before the moving crew arrived, but Mr Carr declined and got right to work.

While helping her with the kitchen, she said, he told her of his childhood in New Orleans, Louisiana, and how his family had moved to Houston, Texas, after their home was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

"I just can't tell you how touched I was by Walter and his journey," Ms Lamey wrote.

Image copyrightBELLHOPS
Image caption
"Seriously?" he said as he was handed the car keys
"I can't imagine how many times on that lonely walk... in the middle of the night did he want to turn back. How many times did he wonder if this was the best idea."

"But he walked until he got here! I am in total awe of this young man!" she continued.

Luke Marklin, the chief executive of the moving company, Bellhops, drove from Tennessee over the weekend to meet his new employee.

After chatting over a cup of coffee, Mr Marklin handed Mr Carr the keys to his own 2014 Ford Escape.

You may also like:
Woman rescued week after SUV cliff plunge
''I had to make my kidnapper fall in love with me'
Indonesia mob kills nearly 300 crocodiles
"I am honestly blown away by him," Mr Marklin said. "Everything he did that day is exactly who we are - heart and grit."

An emotional Mr Carr responded "Seriously?" He then hugged Mr Marklin and accepted the keys.

An online campaign to help Mr Carr fix his car raised more than $8,000 (£6,000) before it was closed.

Mr Carr plans to graduate from college in December with a degree in health sciences.

Image copyrightCBS
He hopes to join the US Marines before returning to Birmingham to study physical therapy.

On Monday, he told reporters that he was grateful just to have had the job opportunity.

"This was the first job in a long time to give me an opportunity to get hired," he told AL.com.

Skip Facebook post by Jenny
End of Facebook post by Jenny
"I wanted to show them I got the dedication. I said I'm going to get to this job one way or another."

He continued: "I want people to know this - no matter what the challenge is, you can break through the challenge. Nothing is impossible unless you make it impossible."

Ms Lamey also hugged Mr Carr after he received the gift and told him: "You've changed all of our lives Walter.

"You have no idea how many lives you've changed and inspired.

"You're a very special young man and you're going to do great things. You already are."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44854370

A South Korean salvage team has discovered the wreck of a Russian warship that was sunk in a naval battle 113 years ago and is believed to still contain a trove of gold bullion and coins worth 150 trillion won, or £100 billion.

The Russian Imperial Navy cruiser Dmitrii Donskoi was discovered at a depth of more than 1,400 feet about one mile off the South Korean island of Ulleungdo.

A joint team made up of experts from South Korea, Britain and Canada discovered the wreck on Sunday and used two manned submersibles to capture footage of the vessel, with the company behind the discovery promising to use a percentage of the money to fund the construction of a railway line linking Russia and South Korea through North Korea.

The video includes images of extensive damage to the vessel caused in an encounter with Japanese warships in May 1905, along with cannons and deck guns encrusted with marine growth, the anchor and the ship’s wheel. 

The identity of the 5,800-ton warship was confirmed when the crew of one of the submersibles were able to read the name on the stern. 

“The body of the ship was severely damaged by shelling, with its stern almost broken, and yet the ship’s deck and sides are well preserved”, the Seoul-based Shinil Group said in a statement. 

Launched in St Petersburg in August 1883, the Dmitrii Donskoi was designed as a commerce raider and fitted with both a full set of sails and a coal-fired engine.

The ship spent most of its career operating in the Mediterranean and the Far East and was deployed to Imperial Russia’s Second Pacific Squadron after the Japanese fleet destroyed the majority of Russia’s naval power in the Far East in the opening salvoes of the 1904 Russo-Japanese War. 

The squadron was intercepted by the Japanese fleet in May 1905 and decimated at the Battle of Tsushima. Assigned to protect the transport ships at the rear of the formation, the Dmitrii Donskoi managed to evade the attacking force, but was later intercepted steaming for the Russian port of Vladivostok. 

Around 60 of the 591 crew were killed and further 120 injured before Captain Ivan Lebedev anchored off the island of Ulleungdo and ordered his men ashore. The following morning, May 29, 1905, the ship was scuttled offshore and the crew were taken prisoner by Japanese landing parties. Captain Lebedev later died of his wounds. 

There are reports that the Dmitrii Donskoi was carrying the fleet’s funds and went down with 5,500 boxes containing gold bars as well as a separate haul of 200 tons of gold coins. The gold was being stored in the ship's holds to stop the Japanese seizing it. Shinil Group estimates the gold would have a total value today of £101.3 billion. 

The company says it is aiming to raise the ship in October or November. Half of any treasure found aboard the vessel would be handed over to the Russian government, the company said, while 10 percent of the remainder will be invested in tourism projects on Ulleungdo Island, including a museum dedicated to the vessel. 

A portion of the rest of the treasure will be donated to joint projects to promote development in north-east Asia, the company said, such as a railway line from Russia to South Korea through North Korea. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/18/russian-warship-carrying-100-billion-gold-discovered-south-korea/

• Like 1

On 18/07/2018 at 19:30, Webbo said:

A South Korean salvage team has discovered the wreck of a Russian warship that was sunk in a naval battle 113 years ago and is believed to still contain a trove of gold bullion and coins worth 150 trillion won, or £100 billion.

The Russian Imperial Navy cruiser Dmitrii Donskoi was discovered at a depth of more than 1,400 feet about one mile off the South Korean island of Ulleungdo.

A joint team made up of experts from South Korea, Britain and Canada discovered the wreck on Sunday and used two manned submersibles to capture footage of the vessel, with the company behind the discovery promising to use a percentage of the money to fund the construction of a railway line linking Russia and South Korea through North Korea.

The video includes images of extensive damage to the vessel caused in an encounter with Japanese warships in May 1905, along with cannons and deck guns encrusted with marine growth, the anchor and the ship’s wheel. 

The identity of the 5,800-ton warship was confirmed when the crew of one of the submersibles were able to read the name on the stern. 

“The body of the ship was severely damaged by shelling, with its stern almost broken, and yet the ship’s deck and sides are well preserved”, the Seoul-based Shinil Group said in a statement. 

Launched in St Petersburg in August 1883, the Dmitrii Donskoi was designed as a commerce raider and fitted with both a full set of sails and a coal-fired engine.

The ship spent most of its career operating in the Mediterranean and the Far East and was deployed to Imperial Russia’s Second Pacific Squadron after the Japanese fleet destroyed the majority of Russia’s naval power in the Far East in the opening salvoes of the 1904 Russo-Japanese War. 

The squadron was intercepted by the Japanese fleet in May 1905 and decimated at the Battle of Tsushima. Assigned to protect the transport ships at the rear of the formation, the Dmitrii Donskoi managed to evade the attacking force, but was later intercepted steaming for the Russian port of Vladivostok. 

Around 60 of the 591 crew were killed and further 120 injured before Captain Ivan Lebedev anchored off the island of Ulleungdo and ordered his men ashore. The following morning, May 29, 1905, the ship was scuttled offshore and the crew were taken prisoner by Japanese landing parties. Captain Lebedev later died of his wounds. 

There are reports that the Dmitrii Donskoi was carrying the fleet’s funds and went down with 5,500 boxes containing gold bars as well as a separate haul of 200 tons of gold coins. The gold was being stored in the ship's holds to stop the Japanese seizing it. Shinil Group estimates the gold would have a total value today of £101.3 billion. 

The company says it is aiming to raise the ship in October or November. Half of any treasure found aboard the vessel would be handed over to the Russian government, the company said, while 10 percent of the remainder will be invested in tourism projects on Ulleungdo Island, including a museum dedicated to the vessel. 

A portion of the rest of the treasure will be donated to joint projects to promote development in north-east Asia, the company said, such as a railway line from Russia to South Korea through North Korea. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/18/russian-warship-carrying-100-billion-gold-discovered-south-korea/

I like these kind of different new stories.

Those consisting of something of historical etc importance, that has been a mystery for a long time.

Gives some hope in the future of eventually finding flight MH370 etc as it's somewhere on the floor like thousands of other past sunken ships that have been also historical mysteries.

• Like 1

Some of Sweden's crown jewels have been stolen from a cathedral. 

Police are chasing the thieves in motorboats after the 'priceless' items were taken from Strängnäs Cathedral in southeastern Sweden this afternoon. 

Two royal crowns - one belonging to King Karl IX, the other to Queen Kristina - were taken, as well as a royal orb. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6012619/Swedish-Crown-Jewels-STOLEN.html

On 01/08/2018 at 12:31, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/must_see/45022643/duterte-crushes-4m-worth-of-luxury-cars-in-philippines

Bit fvcking stupid, why couldn't they have been broken down for parts, with the proceeds going to charity or public services?

You don't have charity or public services in the Philippines, you have a small number of fabulously wealthy people at the top and the vast majority in abject poverty. And the military on constant standby to put people in their place if they dare to object.

28 minutes ago, The Fox Covert said:

You don't have charity or public services in the Philippines, you have a small number of fabulously wealthy people at the top and the vast majority in abject poverty. And the military on constant standby to put people in their place if they dare to object.

There'll be a few people on here that are thinking 'what's wrong with that?'.

Completely unrelated, a dense, ultimately a bit depressing but still a worthwhile read:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/aug/03/denialism-what-drives-people-to-reject-the-truth

My personal take on this is that in an age of choice, as far as consumer type things are concerned, we tend to adopt the same approach with concepts and information.  If you don't like the sound of a version of events (even if it's the objectively correct one), no problem, because you won't have to look far for an alternative that will sit better with you.  In short, it's made very easy for you to never have to accept anything you don't want to, as a convincing alternative reality is inevitably at arms reach.  It does make me fear for the future, I must admit.

There's also an interesting interview with Osama Bin Laden's mum on the Guardian website that I cannot be arsed to post a link to, sorry

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

There'll be a few people on here that are thinking 'what's wrong with that?'.

Completely unrelated, a dense, ultimately a bit depressing but still a worthwhile read:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/aug/03/denialism-what-drives-people-to-reject-the-truth

My personal take on this is that in an age of choice, as far as consumer type things are concerned, we tend to adopt the same approach with concepts and information.  If you don't like the sound of a version of events (even if it's the objectively correct one), no problem, because you won't have to look far for an alternative that will sit better with you.  In short, it's made very easy for you to never have to accept anything you don't want to, as a convincing alternative reality is inevitably at arms reach.  It does make me fear for the future, I must admit.

There's also an interesting interview with Osama Bin Laden's mum on the Guardian website that I cannot be arsed to post a link to, sorry

"There's no right or wrong. There's only popular opinion."

2 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

God help us all

I mean, I buy into the postmodern idea that all human knowledge is relative and flawed because we're...well, human - however, if you let that dictate every decision made then things cannot get done, things cannot progress, will fail and as such the knowledge doesn't actually mean much - there's no point in retaining knowledge if you don't also have a good way of maintaining the vessel (that is to say humans) that have that knowledge too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45133094

Ticketmaster is closing its secondary ticketing websites Seatwave and Get Me In, in a bid to combat touts.

The sites, which allow you to offload unwanted tickets, have frequently been exploited by so-called "professional sellers" who hike up the prices.

"We know that fans are tired of seeing others snap up tickets just to resell for a profit on secondary websites, so we have taken action," said Andrew Parsons, head of Ticketmaster UK.

The sites will be shut down in October.

In their place, you will be allowed to sell tickets directly on Ticketmaster, where a simple click will release tickets back into the market.

Unlike the current system, you will only be allowed to charge the original price or less - though there will a 15% surcharge on every ticket to cover booking fees paid by the seller.

Finally a sensible if blindingly obvious solution to tackling touts, I mean who would have thought providing a platform to legally tout online wouldn't solve the problem of professional touting.

This has actually made my day.  Fair play to Sheeran for the stand he made over it. Now for the rest of these resale sites to fvck off.