Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chili_con_carne

Are we the Middlesbrough of the East Midlands.

If your forum has seven hundred threads a year to decide who your biggest rival is you clearly don't have a big rival.

Or a forum full of people who don't know how to use a search function

Here's my colour coded multi-font guide to the troublesome topic of Leicester City rivalries;

Leicester are surrounded by 3 clubs that are widely accepted as rivals; Coventry City, Derby County and Nottingham Forest.

Let's start with Coventry;

• Easily Leicester's newest rival of the three
  • Based in an entirely different region to Leicester; the West Midlands.
  • Most offensive to those Foxes fans living in Hinckley and other parts of South West Leicestershire
  • No real history. A new derby that is fiercer with younger fans.
  • We're considered along with Aston Villa to be their fiercest rival.
  • Commonly regarded as our tertiary rivals.

Now, we'll move on to Derby;

• Officially, Leicester's oldest rivalry with the first game coming in 1894
  • Based in the same region of the East Midlands albeit situated some 10 miles further afield than Coventry
  • Most offensive to those Foxes fans living in North West Leicestershire, notably Coalville
  • Somewhat more history than the M69 derby, including Premier League meetings in the late 90s, early 00s and Steve Walsh's brace in the 1994 play-off final.
  • Considered to be Derby's secondary rivals, just ahead of Leeds but some distance behind Forest.
  • Commonly regarded as our secondary rivals.

Finally up the A46 to Nott'm Forest;

• The club's second oldest rivalry but the city's first.
  • Biggest clubs in the two biggest cities in the East Midlands, again still not as close to the KPS as Coventry.
  • Most offensive to those Foxes fans living in North East Leicestershire, notably Loughborough and Melton Mowbray
  • The richest history of the three rivalries; with over 100 meetings, Leicester's biggest ever defeat, only 5 goalless games in the rivalry's history, Clive Clarke's heart failure, racist chanting galore and so on.
  • A derby that is generally regarded as the fiercest in the East Midlands by both club's fans of Loughborough, Melton and yesteryear.
  • Considered to be Forest's secondary rivals, some way ahead of Leeds, Sheffield United and Notts County but some distance behind Derby.
  • Commonly regarded as our fiercest rivals

To sum up, we have three mediocre rivalries instead of one fierce one. Ta da.

Here's my colour coded multi-font guide to the troublesome topic of Leicester City rivalries;

Leicester are surrounded by 3 clubs that are widely accepted as rivals; Coventry City, Derby County and Nottingham Forest.

Let's start withCoventry;

• Easily Leicester's newest rival of the three
  • Based in an entirely different region to Leicester; the West Midlands.
  • Most offensive to those Foxes fans living in Hinckley and other parts of South West Leicestershire
  • No real history. A new derby that is fiercer with younger fans.
  • We're considered along with Aston Villa to be their fiercest rival.
  • Commonly regarded as our tertiary rivals.

Now, we'll move on to Derby;

• Officially, Leicester's oldest rivalry with the first game coming in 1894
  • Based in the same region of the East Midlands albeit situated some 10 miles further afield than Coventry
  • Most offensive to those Foxes fans living in North West Leicestershire, notably Coalville
  • Somewhat more history than the M69 derby, including Premier League meetings in the late 90s, early 00s and Steve Walsh's brace in the 1994 play-off final.
  • Considered to be Derby's secondary rivals, just ahead of Leeds but some distance behind Forest.
  • Commonly regarded as our secondary rivals.

Finally up the A46 to Nott'm Forest;

• The club's second oldest rivalry but the city's first.
  • Biggest clubs in the two biggest cities in the East Midlands, again still not as close to the KPS as Coventry.
  • Most offensive to those Foxes fans living in North East Leicestershire, notably Loughborough and Melton Mowbray
  • The richest history of the three rivalries; with over 100 meetings, Leicester's biggest ever defeat, only 5 goalless games in the rivalry's history, Clive Clarke's heart failure, racist chanting galore and so on.
  • A derby that is generally regarded as the fiercest in the East Midlands by both club's fans of Loughborough, Melton and yesteryear.
  • Considered to be Forest's secondary rivals, some way ahead of Leeds, Sheffield United and Notts County but some distance behind Derby.
  • Commonly regarded as our fiercest rivals

To sum up, we have three mediocre rivalries instead of one fierce one. Ta da.

I don't know how accurate your other claims of rivalry by geographical locations within/around Leicester are, but my family hail from Coalville and I was brought up to hate the sheep (in fact for a long time I thought the term 'derby' came from our rivalry - because we we're so massive lol) so you're spot on there! Recently though I've grown to loathe the trees' fans' arrogance.

Forest and Derby hate each other and dont care about us at all. I have no problem with Cov but hate Derby then Forest unless a Forest fan goes on about the ****ing European cup then I hate them more.

Forest fans say that so much it's obvious they hate us, probably as much as they do Derby. They just pipe up out of the blue and say they don't care about us - it's like walking in on someone and them saying "Nothing!" abruptly.

They haven't been doing "nothing". They've been masturbating.

Rivalries are part of what makes football such a brilliant spectacle. Although i'd hate to be emotionally attached to a rival in the way Forest and Derby fans are with each other, if it was between playing in the Premier league with no rivals or despised by a mediocre championship side; i know what I'd choose.

Forest, then Cov then Derby for me although truth be told I struggle to get excited or fired up for a game against any of the latter two and genuinely dislike clubs like Cardiff more than both, don't ask why.

Forest definitely hate us. No doubt about it for me. I'm not saying we're the main rivals, anyone with a brain knows that but any Forest fan who claims we're just another game to them is absolutely kidding themselves.

Derby I pay less attention to generally as it's the furthest of the three from me and I don't know, I actually find them to be almost too similar to us in so many ways that I can't even muster up a hatred for them, it's very weird. The fact we seem to beat them so easily probably doesn't do any favours in fuelling up any dislike and although again there's definitely a rivalry, it's not a big one at all.

Cov, went through a stage of hating them but they've become that laughable it's hard to give a fvck at all. I look out for their results but it'd be such a mis-match if we played them, I also think the fact the rivalry has developed recently doesn't help either considering we're both in newer grounds with less history and less character, if we were both in our old grounds still I think we'd have far more of a rivalry with them.

Derby, purely based on the amount of times we've played them in my supporting years.

Nottingham are close, but their fans seem to be more prevelant on this forum. Don't see Derby fans flooding the forum to tell us they don't care. And Hux is a good poster.

Coventry- always felt it was a big game in the Premier League, but since they've drifted it's lessened, still good to beat them and glad to see them struggling.

Sadly, we don't really have a big rivalry. Everybody has a team that they don't particularly like and it most cases it will Forest, Derby or Cov but for me the team only team that I hate and would happily see go bust are Chelsea.

Each to their own.

Archived