Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Little Quits!

OS

In the latest of his ‘The Week in History’ blogs, Club Historian John Hutchinson recalls the anger felt when manager Brian Little decided to break his contract and leave Leicester City.

Eighteen years ago this week, on Tuesday November 22nd 1994, Brian Little stunned Leicester City by breaking his contract as the Club’s manager in order to join Aston Villa.

Although Little’s departure caused dismay, consternation and anger in Leicester, it came as no great surprise. The fans had been expecting it for about a week, during which the press speculation linking Little with the Villa managerial post had mounted inexorably.

To understand the impact of Little’s departure, and the sense of betrayal that it engendered, it is worth remembering the huge strides that the Club had made since his arrival at Filbert Street three and-a-half years earlier.

little2-4-3-twih-211112280-501641.jpg

When he famously arrived by helicopter onto the Filbert Street pitch to take over as Leicester City’s manager, the Club had just avoided, by the narrowest of margins, a drop into the Third Division for the first time in its history.

He turned this round completely.

In his first three seasons, he took Leicester City to three Wembley Play-Off Finals. These were against Blackburn Rovers, Swindon Town and Derby County. Steve Walsh’s two goals in the Derby final finally secured a coveted place for Leicester City in the Premier League. Gates were up at Filbert Street and the Board made money available for transfers.

Little was rewarded with a new contract. The future looked good. However Leicester struggled in the Premier League and by the beginning of November they were near the foot of the table.

It was at this point that Little began to be linked with the Aston Villa vacancy. Initially he denied that he would be leaving Leicester but by Saturday November 19th his departure looked likely. Centre-half Jimmy Willis revealed that the players were braced for the bombshell news that Little’s departure was imminent. His view was that, “If a Club like Villa, where he played all his career, want him then he would be a fool not to go”. The bookmakers closed all bets on Little’s departure and gave odds on his successor. This list included Ron Atkinson and Steve Coppell.

On the following Monday, the 21st November, Gary Lineker, who had just finished his football career and who had returned to England from Japan, was being filmed for a crisps commercial on the platform of Leicester Station. When interviewed, he said, “He has a contract. He will have to stay, unless he walks out…but in football managers generally preach loyalty to players”.

On the same day, Leicester City Chairman was defiant. “Villa will never be given permission to speak to the manager. If he walks out with thirty months left on his contract there would be no way he could manage Villa because they wouldn’t get permission to hold talks”.

little3-4-3-twih-211112280-501640.jpg

This threat was unenforceable. The proposed Code of Conduct for Premier League Clubs enabling this to happen was not yet in place.

Referring to the fact that Little had committed himself to Leicester a few days previously, George went on, “If he now says he has changed his mind, I will say, ‘tough’. I don’t see why any big club feels entitled to just come in and take a manager from someone else if they feel like it. It’s a nonsense.” George also denied that a compensation figure of £1.5million pounds had been accepted.

All doubts were cleared up the next day. Unusually for those days, the Leicester Mercury put a football story on the front page. A huge banner headline read “LITTLE OUT”. It went on to say that Little had quit citing ‘personal reasons’ and that he refused to link this decision with the Aston Villa vacancy.

Sitting alongside Martin George at a Press Conference, Little said, “I felt it was time to do something else. Football is my life and I would hope to get another job at some stage. I just feel that at this stage of my life I have to do something else.”

little4-4-3-twih-211112280-501639.jpg

The Directors issued a statement accepting this decision “with much regret”. They recorded their “sincere thanks for the immense contribution made by Mr Little to the Football Club since the summer of 1991”.

Allan Evans, the Assistant Manager, was put in temporary charge of the team. Coach John Gregory resigned. Another Leicester Mercury front page headline proclaimed, ‘WE FOUGHT TO KEEP LITTLE’. Martin George reiterated that he had done everything possible to keep the manager. He strongly denied any suggestion that lack of money for transfers was one of Little’s ‘personal reasons’ for quitting. “There is money available”, he said.

There are three postscripts to this story.

The day after Little’s departure, Leicester City beat Arsenal 2-1 in front of a capacity crowd at Filbert Street.

Three days after Little’s departure, he was unveiled as Aston Villa’s new manager, soon to be joined by Allan Evans and John Gregory.

little5-4-3-twih-211112280-501638.jpg

Eleven days after Little’s departure, he returned to Filbert Street for Aston Villa’s game against Leicester. The hostility of the capacity crowd towards Little was unbelievable. On arrival at the ground he was greeted by a vociferously hostile crowd as he left the team coach. Inside the ground, on all four sides, banners were held aloft by the crowd proclaiming ‘Judas’ and ‘Liar’. This stoked up the hostile atmosphere. He was barracked throughout the game.

With the passage of time, many fans are now prepared to concede that Brian Little did a very good job as Leicester City’s manager.

However, the sense of betrayal and hurt when Little walked out on the Club eighteen years ago this week was palpable and very deeply felt.

OS

In the latest of his ‘The Week in History’ blogs, Club Historian John Hutchinson recalls the anger felt when manager Brian Little decided to break his contract and leave Leicester City.

Eighteen years ago this week, on Tuesday November 22nd 1994, Brian Little stunned Leicester City by breaking his contract as the Club’s manager in order to join Aston Villa.

Although Little’s departure caused dismay, consternation and anger in Leicester, it came as no great surprise. The fans had been expecting it for about a week, during which the press speculation linking Little with the Villa managerial post had mounted inexorably.

To understand the impact of Little’s departure, and the sense of betrayal that it engendered, it is worth remembering the huge strides that the Club had made since his arrival at Filbert Street three and-a-half years earlier.

little2-4-3-twih-211112280-501641.jpg

When he famously arrived by helicopter onto the Filbert Street pitch to take over as Leicester City’s manager, the Club had just avoided, by the narrowest of margins, a drop into the Third Division for the first time in its history.

He turned this round completely.

In his first three seasons, he took Leicester City to three Wembley Play-Off Finals. These were against Blackburn Rovers, Swindon Town and Derby County. Steve Walsh’s two goals in the Derby final finally secured a coveted place for Leicester City in the Premier League. Gates were up at Filbert Street and the Board made money available for transfers.

Little was rewarded with a new contract. The future looked good. However Leicester struggled in the Premier League and by the beginning of November they were near the foot of the table.

It was at this point that Little began to be linked with the Aston Villa vacancy. Initially he denied that he would be leaving Leicester but by Saturday November 19th his departure looked likely. Centre-half Jimmy Willis revealed that the players were braced for the bombshell news that Little’s departure was imminent. His view was that, “If a Club like Villa, where he played all his career, want him then he would be a fool not to goâ€. The bookmakers closed all bets on Little’s departure and gave odds on his successor. This list included Ron Atkinson and Steve Coppell.

On the following Monday, the 21st November, Gary Lineker, who had just finished his football career and who had returned to England from Japan, was being filmed for a crisps commercial on the platform of Leicester Station. When interviewed, he said, “He has a contract. He will have to stay, unless he walks out…but in football managers generally preach loyalty to playersâ€.

On the same day, Leicester City Chairman was defiant. “Villa will never be given permission to speak to the manager. If he walks out with thirty months left on his contract there would be no way he could manage Villa because they wouldn’t get permission to hold talksâ€.

little3-4-3-twih-211112280-501640.jpg

This threat was unenforceable. The proposed Code of Conduct for Premier League Clubs enabling this to happen was not yet in place.

Referring to the fact that Little had committed himself to Leicester a few days previously, George went on, “If he now says he has changed his mind, I will say, ‘tough’. I don’t see why any big club feels entitled to just come in and take a manager from someone else if they feel like it. It’s a nonsense.†George also denied that a compensation figure of £1.5million pounds had been accepted.

All doubts were cleared up the next day. Unusually for those days, the Leicester Mercury put a football story on the front page. A huge banner headline read “LITTLE OUTâ€. It went on to say that Little had quit citing ‘personal reasons’ and that he refused to link this decision with the Aston Villa vacancy.

Sitting alongside Martin George at a Press Conference, Little said, “I felt it was time to do something else. Football is my life and I would hope to get another job at some stage. I just feel that at this stage of my life I have to do something else.â€

little4-4-3-twih-211112280-501639.jpg

The Directors issued a statement accepting this decision “with much regretâ€. They recorded their “sincere thanks for the immense contribution made by Mr Little to the Football Club since the summer of 1991â€.

Allan Evans, the Assistant Manager, was put in temporary charge of the team. Coach John Gregory resigned. Another Leicester Mercury front page headline proclaimed, ‘WE FOUGHT TO KEEP LITTLE’. Martin George reiterated that he had done everything possible to keep the manager. He strongly denied any suggestion that lack of money for transfers was one of Little’s ‘personal reasons’ for quitting. “There is money availableâ€, he said.

There are three postscripts to this story.

The day after Little’s departure, Leicester City beat Arsenal 2-1 in front of a capacity crowd at Filbert Street.

Three days after Little’s departure, he was unveiled as Aston Villa’s new manager, soon to be joined by Allan Evans and John Gregory.

little5-4-3-twih-211112280-501638.jpg

Eleven days after Little’s departure, he returned to Filbert Street for Aston Villa’s game against Leicester. The hostility of the capacity crowd towards Little was unbelievable. On arrival at the ground he was greeted by a vociferously hostile crowd as he left the team coach. Inside the ground, on all four sides, banners were held aloft by the crowd proclaiming ‘Judas’ and ‘Liar’. This stoked up the hostile atmosphere. He was barracked throughout the game.

With the passage of time, many fans are now prepared to concede that Brian Little did a very good job as Leicester City’s manager.

However, the sense of betrayal and hurt when Little walked out on the Club eighteen years ago this week was palpable and very deeply felt.

The 'Little Years' were really the start of my following City proper. They were exciting times with some memorable players.

When he got linked with Villa we all knew what was gonna happen. Same as when Martin got linked with Celtic. The biggest surprise was when McGhee buggered off so quickly to Wolves.

Good article. Sums up how i felt at the time. But i knew he was never going to turn down the chance to manage them.

It was just made worse by the fact mcgoo had us playing much better football the following season with scott taylor and steve corica. But fcuked off to wolves. That felt worse as he showed no loyalty to us after doing the same to reading. Really showed him to be a c##t. What a career move that turned out to be.

Phil Gee with his famous mullet scoring the winner for us on Little's return.

He was a bit unlucky with the fixture coming so quickly after he left. He may

have got a more sympathetic reception if a few months had passed, after all

Villa was Little's club, unlike McGhee who just thought he was taking a step up.

Villa was Little's club, unlike McGhee who just thought he was taking a step up.

Not really, I still have the Judas banner I held up at the away game. The atmosphere was just as against him that night as for the home game, and that was a few months later.

That really did hurt when he left .... and they're right - the hostility in the ground against Villa was incredible.

I remember that well. Probably the nastiest atmosphere I can remember. I saw him at East Midlands Airport in the departure lounge years later, I felt like going up to him to apologise but I bottled out.

There are few managers who I would have welcomed back to the club but Little was definitely one of them. The job he did here was amazing and laid the foundation for what followed with MON.

I dont think we beat Villa in the game he came back. I'm pretty sure it was 1-1. Guy Whittingham scoring for them? It was an incredible atmosphere and I remember him saying at the time he actually feared for his safety.

I think one of the funnier moments of this scenario was after the Arsenal game, Allan Evans was interviewed by the BBC and it really was the most awkward interview ever. He knew he was going to join Little but couldnt say it and just kept digging himself a hole. If anyone can find a clip of it, please post it!!

He did a great job for us.....though I got the feeling the wheels were coming off even before he joined Villa

This.

After we lost away to West Ham despite them being down to 10 men, you could see from his interview that he really didnt know what he could do to fix the problems. The promotion really came too late. The team that lost to Blackburn in the play offs was much better equipped for the Premiership than the one that went up against Derby. Neither Walsh or Tony James had had their bad injuries, Rooster and Tommy Wright would have stayed, Gibbo and Millsy were a bit younger etc. That team would have survived and who knows what we'd have achieved?

Wasn't it a 1-1 draw, Whittingham for them? I know I was there but my memory sometimes fails me but pretty sure it was 1-1.

There are few managers who I would have welcomed back to the club but Little was definitely one of them. The job he did here was amazing and laid the foundation for what followed with MON.

I dont think we beat Villa in the game he came back. I'm pretty sure it was 1-1. Guy Whittingham scoring for them? It was an incredible atmosphere and I remember him saying at the time he actually feared for his safety.

I think one of the funnier moments of this scenario was after the Arsenal game, Allan Evans was interviewed by the BBC and it really was the most awkward interview ever. He knew he was going to join Little but couldnt say it and just kept digging himself a hole. If anyone can find a clip of it, please post it!!

The whole season review is on Youtube, I watched it a few weeks ago, I've got a feeling that interview is on there.

Little became frustrated with Martin George & his car boot size transfer budget

He started the change in the clubs outlook & fortunes thats for sure

His move to Villa was messy , but I dont blame him for trying to manage the club he loved as a player

He should be held in high regard at Leicester , almost as much as Martin Oneil

Little became frustrated with Martin George & his car boot size transfer budget

He started the change in the clubs outlook & fortunes thats for sure

His move to Villa was messy , but I dont blame him for trying to manage the club he loved as a player

He should be held in high regard at Leicester , almost as much as Martin Oneil

Neither did I - if he had come out and actually said that. There was speculation for ages and he constantly denied it and then... oh wait.

Here's your 30 pieces of silver you lying toerag! :@

Neither did I - if he had come out and actually said that. There was speculation for ages and he constantly denied it and then... oh wait.

Here's your 30 pieces of silver you lying toerag! :@

That was the problem ..... nobody would have minded, and would have probably wished him all the best if he'd just said that it was a real touch one - here he is loving leicester and his top team come in for him, he has to take it.

You've got to wonder whether his handling of the situation, which was appalling, was his own doing or somehow forced on him by the board.

Archived