Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FuriousFox46

Greatest moment in Leicester City's history

Obviously the title of the thread is lost on some people looking at these answers....

Yup, surprised nobody has mentioned the Collymore vs Sunderland game, as great a game and performance that was, beating Sunderland* in a meaningless league match shouldn't appear on even the most tin pot club's greatest ever top 10.

*Or Leeds or Derby

The 2 play off victories, the first league cup win under O'Neil, winning league 1 and Tony James' last minute goal should be the only ones from my era even considered, our history goes back over a hundred years, perhaps if we weren't so fixated on only the games we saw we might start to appreciate our history a bit more.

Lets start with the greatest moment in the clubs history, 1884 when it was formed and work from there, playing in Europe in 1961, first league cup win 1964, Charity Shield 1971, the season we became the Ice Kings and when we came close to winning the league, being represented by a World cup winner and some of England's finest, I'm sure someone with a few more miles on the clock can share some more great moments that some of us won't remember.

I will expect more "reminiscing" but hope for a little more insight into the club.

Yup, surprised nobody has mentioned the Collymore vs Sunderland game, as great a game and performance that was, beating Sunderland* in a meaningless league match shouldn't appear on even the most tin pot club's greatest ever top 10.

*Or Leeds or Derby

The 2 play off victories, the first league cup win under O'Neil, winning league 1 and Tony James' last minute goal should be the only ones from my era even considered, our history goes back over a hundred years, perhaps if we weren't so fixated on only the games we saw we might start to appreciate our history a bit more.

Lets start with the greatest moment in the clubs history, 1884 when it was formed and work from there, playing in Europe in 1961, first league cup win 1964, Charity Shield 1971, the season we became the Ice Kings and when we came close to winning the league, being represented by a World cup winner and some of England's finest, I'm sure someone with a few more miles on the clock can share some more great moments that some of us won't remember.

I will expect more "reminiscing" but hope for a little more insight into the club.

We're too late Shrap, the thread has already derailed :P

You could probably argue that our greatest goal ever should be one of our greatest moments, so if people consider that to be Izzet's overhead kick I suppose that's another one you could put in from this era.

One that hasn't been mentioned by anyone is our highest ever finish in 1929, though the fact it was only 2nd takes the positive edge off that achievement.

- 1-0 Cottee at Old Trafford..Being only 8 at the time, it wasnt half as good as it would be now :P but still remember being Wow'd as Man Utd were Man Utd lol.

Nearly repeating it the next season as well! Always remember turning on SSN and seeing 2-0 up and saying "wow beating man utd again :)" shame we didnt quite complete the job on a team who ended the season with the treble!

- 2-1 Izzet Volly - Outstanding goal by an outstanding player on a huge night for the history of Leicester City. Would Martin of gone if we hadnt won? Maybe. Big moment by a LCFC legend.

- All the obvious Playoff finals/League cup finals. Bit young to remember them(1997-98 when I started getting into football) but clearly starved of the same success(Other than an Elliot double in 2000 could just about remember that!).

Being top of the premier league, Those 3 Anfield Wins(The Cottee 2-0 one I especially remember well), 4-0 vs Derby, Sunderland performance 5-2, Izzet Bicycle at Blundell Park, 3-0 win at Eastlands in the Premier - Stewart Rocket are all up there for quality LCFC moments!

More recent stuff include 3-2 Spurs cup, 3-2 vs Chelsea until 89th Shevchenko leveller! Howard Vs Leeds, Cup win at Norwich and most importantly - 6-0 Vs Ipswich! All great moments and the latter is hopefully a sign to make some new ones!

Many many for me over the past but for me but Claridge's winner v Palace in 1996's PO final at Wembley has to be the crowning moment for I, coming when it did and after looking like we were a forlorn team about two months prior to reaching the final when under O'Neill in his only shaky period at the club! The four seasons that came about because of "that goal" from Claridge gave us all some very, very special moments too - too many to mention really.....two league cups, two Europes, four top ten Prem. finishes!!

Other highlights for me were Cambridge 5-0 play off semis demolition in 1992, the Swindon play off final in it's entirety the following year (despite the outcome) and Walshy's late winner against Derby in PO final 1994, to earn us a totally flukey win that day!

More recent highlights were 3-2 win over Spurs (FA Cup R3 2006) with a very poor Craig Levein team, the extension of our mega unbeaten run in League one after Gradel's equalising 7th minute of injury time goal at MK Dons.......followed by the Leeds and league title clincher from Howard in League 1. The last great memory (the Kermorgant outcome aside) was the second leg of the play offs v Cardiff in 2010.......

You could probably argue that our greatest goal ever should be one of our greatest moments, so if people consider that to be Izzet's overhead kick I suppose that's another one you could put in from this era.

One that hasn't been mentioned by anyone is our highest ever finish in 1929, though the fact it was only 2nd takes the positive edge off that achievement.

Shame really as I'm sure some on here have really interesting stories to share rather than just talking about themselves, oh well, will check back in tomorrow to see if anyone has posted anything worth reading. :P

For me, the best moment will always be finally winning a major trophy at Wembley, ok, it was only Tranmere, but, we won the league cup, at Wembley. Other great moments, Tony James v Oxford. Steve Walsh v Derby. Steve Thompson v Swindon, I thought I was having a heart attack after that one. Getting promoted under Adams, superb given the circumstances. Coming straight back up from League 1.

Walking through Leicester on the way home from Krystals where i worked for a time and the buzz that was still going round the city even at that late hour after the defeat to Swindon because the fightback had been so good.

Iwan Roberts hat trick vs' Derby County during Littles promotion season.

Beating Derby at Wembley at the end of that same season.

Beating Palace at Wembley via Claridges shin.

Beating Middlesbrough in the league cup final.

Destroying Derby 4-0 in fifteen or so minutes in the Prem at their ground lol

Not as great as the others but beating Tranmere in the league cup final after losing to Spurs the previous year.

Derby away in the Prem when we went 4-0 up inside the opening 15 minutes... "And it's another headed goal"

Also, Grayson's equaliser/winner against Wimbledon to get us to the final of the Cup - epic celebrations!

Can anyone remember the 4-4 draw with Villa? Think we were 4-1 down with about 10 mins to go or something daft like that, another good awayer.

Not really lived long enough for some of them. The biggest I've witnessed live was the League Cup win against Tranmere. I was only 3 when we beat Palace, and from the stories my dad's said the Swindon game in '93 sounds mental as well, when we pulled it back to 3-3.

Most mental I've ever gone was when we went 3-2 up on agg. against Cardiff in the play-off semi, absolutely ridiculous.

Cambridge 5-1

The third goal against Swindon as a 'moment' even though it didn't end well

Each of the play off/ league cup wins

And Sunderland 5-2 as a painfully fleeting flirtation with being a genuinely top-6 side

Surprised more people haven't gone for that. Maybe because it wasn't "a" moment, but a whole afternoon / evening thing. Possibly the only time in my 40+ years of following when I genuinely thought "we're there" as a club. That day, there were perhaps only a couple of clubs in Britain who would have fancied coming to our patch and taking all three points, which is ridiculous with hinsight - especially when you look at some of the names on that team-sheet. But that team played to a level so much more than the sum of its parts. Weirdly, for me, it was more significant than the cup wins .... as we were beating the big boys at full strength consistently and that game just captured everything that medium/large clubs like us aspire to.

3 (losing) FA cup finals in the same decade at a time when this was (possibly) the most prestigious cup competition in the world

For me, one of my favourite moments as a Leicester fan its not a goal or particular result and although very sad, was the day our relegation was confirmed at home against Man U.

About 5-10 minutes from the end of the game the whole of Filbert Street stood and sang "stand up if you love Leicester"

Sticks with me does that.

Surprised nobody mentioned the 94 play off semi final 2nd leg at filbert street against tranmere!

1st leg finished nil nil and it was 1-1 with about 10 to go and tranmere going through on away goals when David Speedie popped up with a goal and then all hell broke loose and Speedie and i think their goalkeeper got sent off so he missed the final! I was in the kop that game and the atmosphere was insane!

Claridge and Walshy at Wembley for me as well! Great moments!

Surprised nobody mentioned the 94 play off semi final 2nd leg at filbert street against tranmere!

1st leg finished nil nil and it was 1-1 with about 10 to go and tranmere going through on away goals when David Speedie popped up with a goal and then all hell broke loose and Speedie and i think their goalkeeper got sent off so he missed the final! I was in the kop that game and the atmosphere was insane!

Claridge and Walshy at Wembley for me as well! Great moments!

The fight at the end is hilarious. The goalkeeper sprinting 30 yards to get involved lol

The fight at the end is hilarious. The goalkeeper sprinting 30 yards to get involved lol

Great memories - thanks for the vid! I was about 8 or 9 and can't really remember the first 2 goals! that last 10 minutes was classic though! I remember the ball being cleared off the line after that deflected effort and thinking it just wasn't our day and then Speedie somehow bundled the ball in!

For me, one of my favourite moments as a Leicester fan its not a goal or particular result and although very sad, was the day our relegation was confirmed at home against Man U.

About 5-10 minutes from the end of the game the whole of Filbert Street stood and sang "stand up if you love Leicester"

Sticks with me does that.

that was amazing.

Man utd fans singing- 'going down in 8 minutes, going down in 7 mintutes etc then 'stand up if you love Leicester' got sung and the whole ground stood and sung it. :appl:

that was amazing.

Man utd fans singing- 'going down in 8 minutes, going down in 7 mintutes etc then 'stand up if you love Leicester' got sung and the whole ground stood and sung it. :appl:

That was an amazing moment! Really proud to be a leicester fan that day!

Downside was that people tried to sing all the time the season after that even though nothing of real note was happening! But that moment against Man utd was real special! It rung around the ground for a good 5-10 minutes!

Archived