Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dmayne7

We can catch Cardiff

I know the team now play like a team, Pearson has installed this in the players, as I knew he would. But I really hope we have this positivity throughout the squad, we have to believe we can do it and the game away at Cardiff might be a big one.

I'm thinking with the way Reading won the league last season, surely they must have had similar ground to make up even later on in the season than this to catch - Southampton? - given their poor relegation form start to last season. It is definitely do-able but I'd be over the moon with second anyway and it was great to stay there after all our chasers slipped up this week!

From our last 18 games, if we get 37 points (W11 D4 L3)...

To equal that, Cardiff need just 27 points (W7 D6 L5)

In other words, if we produce championship-winning form, Cardiff just need to produce form sufficient to finish about 8th or 9th.

I'm all in favour of positivity and it certainly isn't impossible, but even assuming that we perform well from now on, we'd still need them to have a very serious loss of form. They have 60 points from 28 matches; we'd probably need them to get not much more than 28 points from the remaining 18....though a win down in Cardiff would leave things looking slightly more do-able (big "if").

That home defeat to Cardiff, when we dominated 75% of the match, missed a load of chances and lost 0-1 looks a bit crucial now. If we'd won that, the gap would be just 4 points!

If someone offered me 2nd place now, I'd bite their hand off!

From our last 18 games, if we get 37 points (W11 D4 L3)...

To equal that, Cardiff need just 27 points (W7 D6 L5)

In other words, if we produce championship-winning form, Cardiff just need to produce form sufficient to finish about 8th or 9th.

I'm all in favour of positivity and it certainly isn't impossible, but even assuming that we perform well from now on, we'd still need them to have a very serious loss of form. They have 60 points from 28 matches; we'd probably need them to get not much more than 28 points from the remaining 18....though a win down in Cardiff would leave things looking slightly more do-able (big "if").

That home defeat to Cardiff, when we dominated 75% of the match, missed a load of chances and lost 0-1 looks a bit crucial now. If we'd won that, the gap would be just 4 points!

If someone offered me 2nd place now, I'd bite their hand off!

That's pretty much spot on.

Its certainly do-able but we need to maintain our home form which i think we will and ensure to take points on the road. Although the FA Cup is nice to be in with many thinking a semi place is possible (wtf), it is a distraction. More chance to get injured and fatigue. I would be happy to give Huddersfield another smashing but then play reserves against wigan.

Cardiff are bound to have a blip, everyone does in a season but if we have any chance we need max points at their place.

Its certainly do-able but we need to maintain our home form which i think we will and ensure to take points on the road. Although the FA Cup is nice to be in with many thinking a semi place is possible (wtf), it is a distraction. More chance to get injured and fatigue. I would be happy to give Huddersfield another smashing but then play reserves against wigan.

Cardiff are bound to have a blip, everyone does in a season but if we have any chance we need max points at their place.

We did have a blip, at the start of the season.

Regarding the cups you mention, it's nice - but if you're going for promotion (which you are) then surely it's a no-no.

Our two major cup runs have both resulted in major slips in league form, especially when Wembley is mentioned.

considering there are 3 teams within one win/defeat of snatching 2nd place from us I'll stick to worrying about hanging on to that 2nd place rather than catching and overtaking Cardiff.

Archived