Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Your First Ever Game

I think I can trump anyone's first game.

Leicester 7 Arsenal 2 in August 1963. Their goalkeeper was injured early on and in the days before substitutes this sort of result was more possible. But for a nine year old lad this was just the sort of thing to get you hooked, and, sadly, I haven't seen as many goals scored by us in a game since. The team of that era, under Matt Giiies, was a great team to watch, with one of my all time favourite players, David Gibson.

The History section is a great addition to foxestalk to re-kindle memories such as the one above.

I think not. My first was Leicester against Grimsby, 26 January 1957, and we won 4-3. It was interesting for something I didn't know until I looked at the excellent History section: our goalie was one Harvey Sinclair and it was the only match he ever played in for City: Dave MacLaren arrived the following week and was the first choice until Gordon Banks took his place in 1960

Reading 1-2 Leicester City - 29/01/2005

FA Cup 4th round. I believe we had around 4000 fans that day. I could hear how loud it was when walking towards the ground and the noise at times was amazing! I'd been following Leicester very closely for over a year before this game but Scowcroft scoring that last minute winner pretty much ensured that I was hooked for life.

Still my favourite game along with Norwich last season.

Edit: Where the f**k did those 8 years go?

A 3-0 loss away at Leeds in January 1997. Jimmy Flloyd hat-trick if my memory serves me correctly. We sat in the Leeds end cause my Dad could never commit to games as a result of work went to pay on the gate and the cheeky Northern buggers attempted to charge him Adult prices for me and my older brother (we were 4 and 6 respectively). Might have done an earlier game but I think I've done pretty well to remember back to when I was 4 to be honest haha

March 1968, v Stoke drew 0-0,

I was 8 years of age. I fell in love. The crowd, the noise, the sights, the smells, it was fantastic. My brother took me down (he was 12), he sat me on the wall of the 'Popular Stand' (later called the East Stand). At the end of the game all the kids ran on the pitch so I just joined in !!! I then panicked as I had lost sight of my brother. Luckily he kept an eye on me.

Relegated that season but we got to the cup final (watched it on TV, couldnt afford to go to Wembley).

Been in love since, through thick and thin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhAchC9u98o

The atmosphere after the last minute winner was what made me a Leicester fan! :scarf: What a team we had

Lawro's a twat, it was on side.

I watched this down the pub in Swannington. It was rammed, full of the people legally not allowed to be in the city centre around matchdays lol. The bar area was about 6m x 3m and I'd say there were 50 people in there watching it. Certainly the best ever celebrations to a City goal I've seen whilst in a pub

Friendly v Hibernian,

which 'Of Fossils & Foxes' reliably informs me was:

29.04.1957 lost 1-4,City goalscorer Hogg.

I was 7 years old,taken by my late father, who may not have realised he was introducing me to an addiction!

First game for me (of a kind!) was obviously at Filbert Street, which was as a 15 year old in March 1984. My family had a stall at Granby Halls antique fair I used to help out with on fair day once every alternate month and that day I snook off to Filbert Street for the afternoon when it got quiet there!

I was forced to watch our 4-1 win over West Ham (in the old first division) that day through a sizeable gap in the gates though! I think Lynex, Lineker and Ian Wilson were on the scoresheet that day and I remember a young Tony Cottee coming on for the opposition! It sure doesn't seem like 29 years ago to me! As I didn't have the full means on me to pay on the gate, then I just sampled the atmosphere from outside the ground , peering through the gap.....and always count it as my first game!To my surprise nobody from officialdom came along to prevent me from doing so either and one lad asked me if I wanted to sneak in! I didn't quite have the rogue element in me at that age to see it through though, plus I feared getting into trouble, which wouldn't have been very clever as I was essentially with my family that day! Still a very memorable day though. It wasn't as good as the freebie the Bentley's Roof guys used to enjoy but it did me as a 15 year old! :)

Archived