Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

The Last 10 Minutes

The Last 10 Minutes  

67 members have voted

1. 1. When Leicester are ahead after 80 minutes, would you rather we....

• Played our normal game, kept bodies forward and look for another goal?
    • Go defensive, drop deep and try to see it out?

Not necessarily either.

It's not as simple as either going for it for it or parking the bus on the goal line.

I don't see why it's so difficult about using the ball sensibly and keeping it. Have someone up front to chase things down if we have to knock it long, or for an outlet to pass forward at least (as long as they don't dribble it back into our own box).

When we're not in possession I'd like to see us press them, they'll be tired too and will be forced into mistakes. If they've not got time to pick out crosses they'll be forced to do something much more difficult.

Does not matter what you tell the players in the last few minutes, nerves will automatically set in.

Do you think every manager in world football tell their side to drop deeper when defending a 1 goal lead late on? Even Barcelona do it.

I lean towards the attacking side, but I don't mean actually attacking, I just mean putting pressure on the ball and not dropping deep

the second you drop off you invite pressure & the waves of attacks, whereas if you press high you don't allow them time to make a quality pass.

I'd like to see us be a bit less naive though... stay down for treatment if we're fouled, change players for the throw-in to eat up the clock and of course saving a substitution if the game has allowed us too.

A combination of pressing high & eating up the clock should suffice... dropping off is suicide.

Not necessarily either.

It's not as simple as either going for it for it or parking the bus on the goal line.

I don't see why it's so difficult about using the ball sensibly and keeping it. Have someone up front to chase things down if we have to knock it long, or for an outlet to pass forward at least (as long as they don't dribble it back into our own box).

When we're not in possession I'd like to see us press them, they'll be tired too and will be forced into mistakes. If they've not got time to pick out crosses they'll be forced to do something much more difficult.

works both ways pal.

You can make mistakes trying to play a pressing game if your players are tired.

Not necessarily either.

Exactly! Never understand why teams camp in their own half. Carry on passing the ball, don't press too much for the ball this leaving space behind and leave a striker up there for a potential counter attack

Feels like its a bit of a no-win situation.

If you play as normal and press up the pitch and they score, then you should have been more cautious.

If you drop back and get more defensive and they score, then you shouldn't have invited the pressure.

What ever we decide to do we need to do it as a team:

If we know that the forward is just going to run it into the corner, then the rest know they don't need to bomb forward, or head forward for a corner or free kick and can conserve energy and maintain shape.

If we are going to push for a goal to kill it off we need to make sure we get players up in support so we are not aimlessly wasting crosses,

If we are going to just pass the ball around then we need to get in close, always have an easy safe pass or 2 available and not make ambitious runs up top begging for the ball to be played over the top and risk losing the ball.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle.

I think it's inevitable that opposition will throw bodies forward in these times and so naturally our players will have to sit back and cover this. However, I think we should always leave some whiff of attacking intent, probably on the counter. Someone who can hold the ball up (like Wood, Schlupp) or someone speedy (like Dyer) can really help with this and maintaining the attacking threat can cause the opposition to sit back a little themselves and provide moments of relief to our defence.

I think we should attack.

The reason is, I have more faith in our ability to win a race for the ball, if the opposition is breaking, than soaking up persistent pressure.

We created some problems for ourselves last night by heading short out of the box and trying to keep possession.

Just hoof it and hope for the best !!

Archived