Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MJ27

What has Ian Stringer done now?!

When did he actually say it? Wasn't after Forest was it?

I'm not sure just going on what Declan says but I'm sure I could find several examples of a similar nature. At times I would say he doesn't have the instinct of a sport journalist and his demeanour can seem fairly immature. May add to the reason why Pearson doesn't want to do interviews

Obviously I'm only throwing out ideas and they're most likely wrong.

Is he a good manager? Could he cope with the ego's?could he handle stringer?

:D

Bourne seems like a pushover to me, he'd make a great manager. I mean, we'd get relegated but at least he wouldn't fall out with the players.

The problem is Stringer is arrogant. Pushing it too far and asking what he likes. With experience he'll realise asking questions like "is your job under threat" after every single match for 20 games isn't going to win any journalism awards or any sort of relationship with the man he has to interview for his job!

There's a fine line between getting the public an answer and ruining your relationship with the football club. Nearly cost him his job last time

I thought it was common knowledge they didn't get on. Didn't Pearson ban him a while back when Stringer criticised him for not celebrating a goal and it turned out he'd hurt his back. Their interviews are always strained. Stringer asks a question, Pearson tries to skirt around it but Stringer keeps asking the same question, but he's never going to get an answer and it gets to the point where Pearson just gets annoyed.

Stringer tries to catch him out and asks him questions in a way national papers would for a big scoop, but he's only a local reporter. I don't blame him for trying but i think he should pick his battles better or word his questions better. Now Pearson's always on his guard and their relationship is ruined so he gets no answers, then acts like it's all Pearson's fault.

You could tell after the Watford game with the questions he thought Pearson was getting sacked so he asked questions and really pushed Pearson, but then it somewhat backfired.

Stringer is a complete idiot really. I would love it if he was sacked.

Stringer is basically one of those people who puts his own ego before doing his job. A local radio presenter shouldn't be grilling the manager with stupid questions about his ability to do the job.

It results in poor old Nige having to give standard "no comment" style answers to basically all his questions, this robs the listeners of any worthwhile information. It also leads to the assumption that Nige is incapable of handling the media which isn't really true, in fact his interviews with sky are always much more enjoyable.

Why should strings just suck up and ask "safe" questions?

He's asking what we're all thinking anyway?

Isn't part of being a journo about asking stupid and obvious questions anyway?

Perarson should be able to handle it and just deflect it, acting like is just makes him look petulant.

Personally, I like Stringer. You only have to listen to him commentate to realise that he's a REAL fan. Not a Barber, (prefer Derby really), or a Foulger, (Sky Blue at heart). OK, sometimes his questions seem to make NP squirm a bit...SO FOOKING WHAT!! It's OUR club and Pearson is just fortunate enough to be the well rewarded manager of OUR club.

When things go 'tits' we are entitled to know why, and IS shouldn't be berated for asking that...which, basically, is what he does. 

The base problem here is that Pearson is uncomfortable when it comes to dealing with the press, but that's HIS problem, no-one else's!

How come he's only ever fallen out with Stringer and no other journalists in his entire career then?

I'm not sure just going on what Declan says but I'm sure I could find several examples of a similar nature. At times I would say he doesn't have the instinct of a sport journalist and his demeanour can seem fairly immature. May add to the reason why Pearson doesn't want to do interviews

Obviously I'm only throwing out ideas and they're most likely wrong.

or most likely spot on

I don't really see what was wrong with Stringer's line of questioning following the Watford league match and I say that as somebody who isn't a particular fan of the bloke. Pearson needs to realise that Stringer is most fans' access to the club and as such should treat him, and by extension us, with a bit of respect. Stringer is mostly gentle, probably too much so actually. Pearson's attitude to those who 'dissent' is a bit embarrassing. He's no Alex Ferguson.

I thought it was common knowledge they didn't get on. Didn't Pearson ban him a while back when Stringer criticised him for not celebrating a goal and it turned out he'd hurt his back. Their interviews are always strained. Stringer asks a question, Pearson tries to skirt around it but Stringer keeps asking the same question, but he's never going to get an answer and it gets to the point where Pearson just gets annoyed.

Stringer tries to catch him out and asks him questions in a way national papers would for a big scoop, but he's only a local reporter. I don't blame him for trying but i think he should pick his battles better or word his questions better. Now Pearsons always on his guard and their relationship is ruined so he gets no answers, then acts like it's all Pearson's fault.

You could tell after the Watford game with the questions he thought Pearson was getting sacked so he asked questions and really pushed Pearson, but then it somewhat backfired.

Spot on.

You listen to his interviews and it's clear Pearson's not going to answer a question with his initial response (and after working together this long Stringer should have learnt how best to interview him) but Stringer pushes the issue to the point he pisses Pearson off. He seems to be under the impression that he has this great responsibility to push Pearson and get to the bottom of everything but he doesn't. What he has is a responsibility to build a relationship with the Leicester City manager (where they both know where they stand) so that they may establish a good working relationship in order to produce interviews for their audience. This is not afterall a democratically elected politician that he is interviewing.

For example...

Why do we as fans have a right to know who Pearson's looking to sign before he has done? We don't, yet guaranteed any hint of a story and Stringer will ask him before getting the inevitable refusal to engage with it. I know it just from listening so why can't Stringer learn this lesson too?

It's embarassing and baffling whereby a reporter will openly and publicly admit that one of the most important people he works with doesn't like him and won't work with him. And yet he claims to have no idea why...

Can't believe some people who want Stringer sacked!, people forget some journalists have families. Football managers are okay if there sacked, they get huge payoffs and guaranteed another job soon, but any other job you've had it! 

I've warmed to Stringer, I get the impression that it's not entirely all ego-tripping in his questioning but there is a bit of trying to find out what the fans actually want to know. Of course his questions aren't always the greatest but I don't think they always come from a self driven place.

I think Pearson knows he has Stringer over a barrel to an extent as a large part of Stringer's job is to be a conduit between the Leicester City manager and the fans, so Pearson knows that by not speaking to him he's essentially starving Stringer of a large part of his job. I guess that's the nature of being a local journalist but he shouldn't have to walk on egg shells around Pearson.

Archived