Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RowlattsFox

The Pre-season Friendlies thread

York looks a decent away day, disappointed we haven't tried for Lincoln again though. The circumstances surrounding its abandonment last time were very specific and unlikely to arise again.

It'll be interesting to see who we play on 27th July though, love it to be Celtic or a German team. 

im assuming itll be 2 different squads, possibly a full strength, then a fringe players squad. Sure we had Shrewsbury and Telford or Tamworth on the same day a few years ago. Could be wrong

I've got a feeling it'll be full first team fixtures for both games. A real test for the lads. Could well be wrong mind.

Happy with Port Vale away, been having a laugh with my mate who's a Vale fan if we were ever going to play eachother (although hopefully we can get them in a competitive game). I just hope we don't lose it else I'll never hear the end of it!

I've actually always wanted to go to Port Vale. Against Micky Adams as well, top man.

York away is a good one as well. Great City, that would be a good one to attend.

Doubt I'll make either of them though due to midweek.

These friendlies are too easy. We should be looking to challenge ourselves more in pre-season.

I want to lose some of our friendlies to get some backbone into the team. With the ones we've got lined up that might not happen.

Don't be soft. Don't want overly competitive friendlies with people getting injured or games we could lose to blow confidence before the season starts. Steamroll a few local sides for fitness and get on with the season.

Don't be soft. Don't want overly competitive friendlies with people getting injured or games we could lose to blow confidence before the season starts. Steamroll a few local sides for fitness and get on with the season.

Definitely.

The days of playing Bursaspor, Valencia and Real Madrid pre-season a la Sven are behind us and rightly so. 

I wouldn't mind seeing us having a bit of a test at home though, get some money in the coffers too.

These friendlies are too easy. We should be looking to challenge ourselves more in pre-season.

I want to lose some of our friendlies to get some backbone into the team. With the ones we've got lined up that might not happen.

They're not that important. Never matters who we play. All that matters is the players get to play matches and try and get match fit before the season. No point reading anything else into it.

I remember when Newcastle got relegated they lost 7-0 or 7-1 or something like that to Leyton Orient in a pre-season friendly. I Believe they then won this league rather easily that year...

Port Vale have a decent pub between the station and ground. I can't remember what it's called though. It was opposite a bookies and did a bbq breakfast in the sunshine. The rest of the place was pretty depressing though. If it's nice weather I might try and get there. York away would be decent. 

Why would we get injuries in a game we lose? I just want us to play better sides who aren't a walk in the park for us. These don't have to be hard fought games they just have to be good quality games.

Friendlies are all about building fitness and confidence though. I'd much rather do what we are doing, playing 'smaller' teams and everything. They are never a walk in the park though, I recall us losing to Bournemouth under Adams when we were a PL team, and last year didn't we lose to Shrewsbury?

They're not that important. Never matters who we play. All that matters is the players get to play matches and try and get match fit before the season. No point reading anything else into it.

I remember when Newcastle got relegated they lost 7-0 or 7-1 or something like that to Leyton Orient in a pre-season friendly. I Believe they then won this league rather easily that year...

I remember hearing about this - it actually backs up my point very well so thank you for raising it!  :D

Newcastle had a talk after the match realising that the Championship wasn't going to be easy, apparently it focused their minds on the task ahead i.e. gave them that backbone that I was talking about. Defeats in friendlies are a good thing. I want us to lose to Port Vale or at least draw.

Archived