Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
alanf0x

Alex Baptiste

Yeah I'm not sure that the praise for Pearson's signings is entirely justified. Defensively he signed Morrison, Tunchev and Brown, who were fine, especially at a lower level, Hobbs and Berner who were very good at this level and below, and Morgan who has done a great job. I'm yet to be convinced by De Laet; the praise for Keane startles me, Bruce was at best mediocre, while Neilson, Whitbread, McGivern and Solano were simply useless. It's been hit and miss.

Kerrea Gilbert? A curious one. To be fair to Pearson he did a job for us in League One. Sometimes a manager can get something very specific out of a player for a specific purpose (see virtually anyone who ever played under Clough). Obviously he isn't a good player, but perhaps that's why we didn't make the loan permanent.

Yet Pearson needs to do a great deal better this summer than he did last summer (when only a couple of his signings truly proved their worth), especially defensively. It's hard to avoid the fact that on current form we have one of the worst defences in the division.

Nobby was the difference between getting into the playoffs and missing out during that season.  His experience was massive during the run in

Yeah I'm not sure that the praise for Pearson's signings is entirely justified. Defensively he signed Morrison, Tunchev and Brown, who were fine, especially at a lower level, Hobbs and Berner who were very good at this level and below, and Morgan who has done a great job. I'm yet to be convinced by De Laet; the praise for Keane startles me, Bruce was at best mediocre, while Neilson, Whitbread, McGivern and Solano were simply useless. It's been hit and miss.

Kerrea Gilbert? A curious one. To be fair to Pearson he did a job for us in League One. Sometimes a manager can get something very specific out of a player for a specific purpose (see virtually anyone who ever played under Clough). Obviously he isn't a good player, but perhaps that's why we didn't make the loan permanent.

Yet Pearson needs to do a great deal better this summer than he did last summer (when only a couple of his signings truly proved their worth), especially defensively. It's hard to avoid the fact that on current form we have one of the worst defences in the division.

Solano useless? Very harsh.

I agree that Keane gets a pretty generous arse-licking on here. I'd say he's "OK", will be a very good defender with some fine tuning but he certainly isn't a solid defender yet. I do feel we threw him in at the deep end though.

He has on a three year deal, disappointed to miss out on him, Bolton putting together a very good squad and getting their business done early, fancy them next year.

Maybe we could put in a cheeky offer for Mills ??? :ph34r:

Bolton signing baptiste means they're unlikely to sign Craig Dawson, who they had on loan. We should be looking at him if available.

Good shout that like. One of the Twitter pages did say we wanted him lol

With the obscene parachute payments plus the new TV deal money, isn't there a danger of eventually just more or less seeing the same six teams swap places in promotion and relegation every year, especially after FFP which stops massive clubs worthy of investment like ourselves from getting ahead?

Don't think he's all that personally. I've been told that NP is trying to get St Ledger's contract restructured because he wants him to stay but can't justify the wages he's on personally I rate SSL and think he still has a role at the club. I would look to sign Vitor again.

With the obscene parachute payments plus the new TV deal money, isn't there a danger of eventually just more or less seeing the same six teams swap places in promotion and relegation every year, especially after FFP which stops massive clubs worthy of investment like ourselves from getting ahead?

Yep

The whole thing is so disjointed, ratified by the football league with enforcement this coming season too - the premier league however - rules arent standardised (more lenient too) and I cant see enforcement of rules this season - currently going through courts so the whole concept may fall on its backside, at least for the premier league anyway.

Can see this creating a HUGE competitive advantage to relegated teams

Highlights how much of a disaster Sven was - Average players on lengthy contracts eating away at the budget that we simply dont even have.

Am sure we will be getting used to missing out on players like Baptiste that would have improved the team and allowed us to push on. I'd expect a team full of loanees this year

Archived