Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

12 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

I have been to 3 "jumpers" from this place during my time. Other colleagues have been to others. It seems to be a place of choice for those in desperation but I really don't know why this place in particular. 

If they knock it down, there's plenty of other places for those who want to take their lives. It's not the car park itself it's the absolute despair that those people feel that they have no alternative that's so very sad and concerning. 

It is though, a very grim looking building.

Edited by Parafox
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I have been to 3 "jumpers" from this place during my time. Other colleagues have been to others. It seems to be a place of choice for those in desperation but I really don't know why this place in particular. 

If they knock it down, there's plenty of other places for those who want to take their lives. It's not the car park itself it's the absolute despair that those people feel that they have no alternative that's so very sad and concerning. 

That's true, sadly.

The other one I know about on this front is the multi-storey on Welford Road.

In buildings such as these, like they do at some train stations, the local authority should really put 'Talk To Us' Samaritans posters out to those at these locations who are really at rock-bottom, to at least try and make them change their minds on potential suicide.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wymsey said:

That's true, sadly.

The other one I know about on this front is the multi-storey on Welford Road.

In buildings such as these, like they do at some train stations, the local authority should really put 'Talk To Us' posters out to those at these locations who are really at rock-bottom, to at least try and make them change their minds on potential suicide.

Been there too. :( I agree with you about the "Talk to Us" posters. They're on all railway bridges that are accessible to the public along with the Samaritans number.

Probably the most determined "jumper" was a young man who squeezed out of a window with restricted opening in the flats next to the railway station and fell to his death. Every death like this is a tragedy. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Been there too. :( I agree with you about the "Talk to Us" posters. They're on all railway bridges that are accessible to the public along with the Samaritans number.

Probably the most determined "jumper" was a young man who squeezed out of a window with restricted opening in the flats next to the railway station and fell to his death. Every death like this is a tragedy. 

That's tragic..:(

Genuinely hope you don't get affected by what you experience in your job.

Heard from another employee at the LRI that some young woman tried to jump out of the window the other day when her one-to-one support in her sideroom wasn't looking in her direction for a split-second.

The brain/mind can for sure be fragile..

19 hours ago, Parafox said:

It is though, a very grim looking building.

One of my good friends jumped from there a few years ago. Horrible place.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Should be taken down in general. Just an absolute blot on the City. Gives me Coventry vibes.

Or get the owners to refurbish it and make it attractive and suicide proof. It was a unique and original building when 1st put up plus there's an evermore restriction on parking spaces up town to remove this many would be a bad idea.

21 hours ago, Wymsey said:

But then you'd lose all that history of Sid James, the record breaking Tesco and the biggest store in Europe! 

842173042_ScreenShot2021-11-17at15_52_30.png.220511214f85899101f9e48141fc3c15.png

Nah, fvck that. The Lee Circle an absolute eyesore and should've been flattened at least two decades ago. 

At the very least it should be given an extensive refurb. It's dank and grim. Brutalism at its absolute worst. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

But then you'd lose all that history of Sid James, the record breaking Tesco and the biggest store in Europe! 

842173042_ScreenShot2021-11-17at15_52_30.png.220511214f85899101f9e48141fc3c15.png

Nah, fvck that. The Lee Circle an absolute eyesore and should've been flattened at least two decades ago. 

At the very least it should be given an extensive refurb. It's dank and grim. Brutalism at its absolute worst. 

Yeah, but give it 20 years and lee circle and that horrendous thing near the bus station will look super cool

The victorious and 1980s planners pulled own what they considered eyesores and we all bemoan that now 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Or get the owners to refurbish it and make it attractive and suicide proof. It was a unique and original building when 1st put up plus there's an evermore restriction on parking spaces up town to remove this many would be a bad idea.

The map you put up earlier on another thread, looks like this was a football pitch in 1828, same shape as Lee Circle. Can’t make it out clearly. 

And whilst they're at it, do something with St. Nicholas' Circle too. The development of Jubilee Square and surrounding area has made it look even worse now, and the fact it's opposite the Jewry Wall site. Deserves better, IMO. I'd be genuinely curious to know how popular the Holiday Inn is.

Basically, if it's got "circle" in its name, bin it. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Yeah, but give it 20 years and lee circle and that horrendous thing near the bus station will look super cool

The victorious and 1980s planners pulled own what they considered eyesores and we all bemoan that now 

They levelled the New Walk Centre and nobody's going to miss that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

They levelled the New Walk Centre and nobody's going to miss that.

Problem is it's not owned by the Council so unless they initiate a compulsory purchase order we're stuck with it. I doubt they have a justifiable reason or the motivation and money to do that. Maybe with all the other hotels being built in the City it'll encourage whoever owns it to sell or demolish and rebuild something better (in my dreams).

• Like 2

Lee Circle is horrid but infinitely better than the tip of a car park on Abbey St. Needs pulling down. I like Leicester but it's not hard to see why some leave with a shoddy impression, come in from the north and you've got Thames Tower (rusty, horrible), Crown House and Epic House overlooking Lee Circle - and the aforementioned Abbey St shithole. 

Look at it. 

Screenshot_20211117-233710__01.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yeah that Abbey Street needs to go. You can actually build modular type car parks quite reasonably and clad them quite smart now (which also stops jumpers too). Leicester has some bloody awful concrete structure car parks 

In fairness, you could clad the existing ones on the exterior and it’s improve the general demeanour. 

30 minutes ago, Sly said:

In fairness, you could clad the existing ones on the exterior and it’s improve the general demeanour. 

True but the cost of the steel rails to do that and the likely repairs of concrete frames (this is work for me 😒) just makes it prohibitive. Stick a modular type car park with modern security barriers and methods of payment 

8 hours ago, Langston said:

Lee Circle is horrid but infinitely better than the tip of a car park on Abbey St. Needs pulling down. I like Leicester but it's not hard to see why some leave with a shoddy impression, come in from the north and you've got Thames Tower (rusty, horrible), Crown House and Epic House overlooking Lee Circle - and the aforementioned Abbey St shithole. 

Look at it. 

I do mean this. And said it earlier in the thread. It is so bad, it is good. Cities should have bits like that in them. 

Give it a hundred years, that and Lee Circle will both be tourist destinations for architecture geeks. It's our equivalent of Gaudi.

10 hours ago, Langston said:

Look at it. 

Crikey. I forgot about that. I think the old hotel at the top is popular with Urban Explorers. 

The entire north side of the City centre is in dire need of attention. The north end of Belgrave Gate, Abbey St. and out past Burley’s Flyover.

Basically anything between the bus station and Abbey Park.

Some of it is post-apocalyptic.

• Like 3