Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

Workers are striking for better pay and there's a cost of living crisis where people are struggling to heat their homes and put food on the table.

Despite these very real problems, folk have put them to one side to come together for a period of mourning for Her Majesty.

Industrial action by thousands of workers put on hold for a while.

What do these do? Ramp up and highlight their division over a cricket result.

Racial diversity? Racial division more like. True colours (no pun intended) are being betrayed.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

56 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Workers are striking for better pay and there's a cost of living crisis where people are struggling to heat their homes and put food on the table.

Despite these very real problems, folk have put them to one side to come together for a period of mourning for Her Majesty.

Industrial action by thousands of workers put on hold for a while.

What do these do? Ramp up and highlight their division over a cricket result.

Racial diversity? Racial division more like. True colours (no pun intended) are being betrayed.

It does make me laugh when the City Council and others go on about the racial diversity of Leicester as if all of the different racial/religious groups love each other. I think generally there's a good amount of tolerance between groups for sure, but that apathy describes most inter-ethnic group relationships in the City. There's also clearly a genuine dislike below the surface with other groups (as proven by the recent unrest). It just takes a spark to ignite the fire. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, westernpark said:

Interesting videos on YouTube that look to point to cricket being used as an excuse for the disorder. Whilst those videos must be treated with trepidation, the interviews were interesting with members of the local community.

Like any sectarian violence, there’s usually a spark which in this case is cricket. The issues are a lot deeper, but mainly around the Kashmir issue. Hindu’s feel oppressed by Muslims and Muslims feel oppressed by Hindu’s. 

24 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Shocking!!

Groups of youths using cricket as an excuse for a dust up.

Thank (your) God that's never happened with football!

You wait until the 23rd/24th October. T20 world cup. It will be like fatcats in Notts all over again.

35 minutes ago, moseeds said:

Clearly a cricket match which has been played hundreds of times before wasn't the reason for violence. And consider most Muslims in Leicester are of Indian origin too, along with Sikhs and Hindus.

Within 5 minutes walk of Green Lane Road you can walk to temples for all major religions and there has never been any confrontation like this in the duration of my life (40 years).

So something has changed for the worse.

Unfortunately the politics of India has seeped into some Indian Asian areas across England. Tories have tapped into it already (see recent elections in Leicester and London and how many dog whistles were blown). Of course many of us stil retain ancestral relationships to India so the affairs of that country aren't alien to us as it will be to a white English or black Nigerian person. But playing out those grievances in this country is something new and very worrying.

The 'farmers protest' primarily led by Sikh Indian farmers against the Indian government provoked retaliatory rallies by Indian government supporters in diaspora communities as far away as cold Canada. That is new.

There's been a definite uptick in political activism from Indian government affiliated pressure groups which has meant Russian & Saudi style donations landing in influential pockets. These are known issues and not conspiracy. It's quite normal of course. But the consequent activism is new.

Reducing this down to slurs does a disservice to hundreds and thousands of people who have made the city their home for several generations, boosting the city economically and yes culturally too.

The journalist Sunny Hundal has done a really good job tracking this rising Indian nationalist activism in Britain. Unfortunately our city has become a pawn in a bigger story that starts across the ocean.

Some interesting links:

1. A long read of a panel discussion chaired by Henry Jackson Society (right wing think tank) titled: 'is the left losing British asians' focusing on Leicester a lot

https://henryjacksonsociety.org/members-content/left-losing-british-indians/

2. Example of unaffiliated/anonymous leaflet being circulated during the last general election

This is a deeply interesting primer on the whole situation. Thank you.

13 hours ago, smallpauldj said:

Religion of peace :crylaugh:only thing they all have in common in they know drop dead Fred

Hindus, Muslim and Sikhs (who are with the Muslims on this one) have lived and been very successful in this city for many years. In fact they’ve started and grown many successful multi million pound businesses over the years. No issues like this. 

This is an unfortunate ideology where trouble makers on both sides have taken advantage as is usually the case in this sort of disorder with all races and religions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Most people on here ain't got a clue why this kicked off, nothing to do  with the cricket though.

A thread posted indicates it’s related to increased levels of Hindu Indian nationalism which has seeped through into Leicester’s Hindu communities. The aim is to oppress the Sikh’s and Muslims. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lionator said:

Using this issue to express your islamophobic views is not the one. 

I'm against all religion, the post was aimed at both sides. Maybe Muslims shouldn't tell us all its the religion of peace, then take to social media to come to fight in another city to get involved in something that don't concern them. They didn't come to negotiate did they? So what's peaceful about it? I think Leicester is one of the shining beacons of the world showing that different people can mix and be at peace, these events don't look good for our city and only enforce my reason to be against religion. Each to their own I guess.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, smallpauldj said:

I'm against all religion, the post was aimed at both sides. Maybe Muslims shouldn't tell us all its the religion of peace, then take to social media to come to fight in another city to get involved in something that don't concern them. They didn't come to negotiate did they? So what's peaceful about it? I think Leicester is one of the shining beacons of the world showing that different people can mix and be at peace, these events don't look good for our city and only enforce my reason to be against religion. Each to their own I guess.

They’re standing up for their brothers. Ultimately we won’t remove religion from our society so we need to find a way to re-establish the peace. As the posts above outline, Indian nationalism which goes hand in hand with a sect of Hinduism has come into our communities. Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus have gotten on here peacefully for decades, something has changed. The very fact the Sikh and Islamic communities are uniting tells you a lot. 

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, smallpauldj said:

Firstly no Muslim told you about the religion of peace. Muslims make up 1.6billion of the world. Even in Leicester that’s a considerable different group of people. Many who probably pay more tax in this country than you and your entire family - just my opinion. 

You’ve got prejudices own them, you’d be respected more. 

• Like 1