Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

9 hours ago, Langston said:

Hopefully the development of the old Krystals nightclub and the St. Margaret's rebuild will be the catalyst – the Corah scheme looks promising, too. Shame the Matalan site can't be levelled and opened up, the bus station and the Highcross could be linked via the Salmon / Butt Close Lane / Causeway Lane quite nicely, currently the old HMRC building serves no purpose but act as a barrier as well.

For all the effort the council have put into linking The Golden Mile with town (for some reason), they've done very little with the area in-between. That whole chunk of Leicester from the flyover roundabout to the bus stations is desperate either side of Belgrave Gate. Massive areas occupied by tired looking buildings and anything that could actually be half decent (the Rack N Roll building, for example) looks soul-destroyingly neglected.

I always felt that the coral building was ripe to be converted into a major arena / ice rink / snowdome if the council could've attracted the right investor with a few grants 

Corah development is much needed though and can start to connect Abbey Park to the city centre (much in the same way they've stretched the city centre back towards  Jerry wall and river)

8 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I always felt that the coral building was ripe to be converted into a major arena / ice rink / snowdome if the council could've attracted the right investor with a few grants 

Corah development is much needed though and can start to connect Abbey Park to the city centre (much in the same way they've stretched the city centre back towards  Jerry wall and river)

It was built by the Romans, not the Germans

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 18/11/2021 at 10:54, Langston said:

Hopefully the development of the old Krystals nightclub and the St. Margaret's rebuild will be the catalyst – the Corah scheme looks promising, too. Shame the Matalan site can't be levelled and opened up, the bus station and the Highcross could be linked via the Salmon / Butt Close Lane / Causeway Lane quite nicely, currently the old HMRC building serves no purpose but act as a barrier as well.

For all the effort the council have put into linking The Golden Mile with town (for some reason), they've done very little with the area in-between. That whole chunk of Leicester from the flyover roundabout to the bus stations is desperate either side of Belgrave Gate. Massive areas occupied by tired looking buildings and anything that could actually be half decent (the Rack N Roll building, for example) looks soul-destroyingly neglected.

Is that place still open? It's a few years since I've been up there TBH, but it always looked to be in such a state of disrepair I assumed it had been abandoned.

I agree. Such wasted potential... But who's going to invest in redevelopment projects when the surrounding areas are so depressingly run-down? 

I wasn't aware of plans for the Corah factory though, so that's positive. It's in an absolute state. 

Edited by RoboFox

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, boots60 said:

Not been to Stoneygate for a while.

Changed a bit!

That's just off Evington Road (red marker below) - it's not in Stoneygate. Probably Evington or Highfields. I'm guessing the Mercury have labelled it as Stoneygate for clickbait.

image.thumb.png.1ba0d86ed279ac43ebeef8dd2bacf048.png

431869260_Screenshot2021-12-13at14_03_40.thumb.jpg.603108c244539f42e885ecc876749d26.jpg

Edited by danny.

4 hours ago, danny. said:

That's just off Evington Road (red marker below) - it's not in Stoneygate. Probably Evington or Highfields. I'm guessing the Mercury have labelled it as Stoneygate for clickbait.

431869260_Screenshot2021-12-13at14_03_40.thumb.jpg.603108c244539f42e885ecc876749d26.jpg

One of many reasons I hate the LM website.

6 hours ago, boots60 said:

Not been to Stoneygate for a while.

Changed a bit!

5 hours ago, danny. said:

Actually, the LM are correct on this occasion.

Stoneygate is also a City Council ward which extends beyond the residential area into part of Highfields and Evington Valley.

5 hours ago, Buce said:

Actually, the LM are correct on this occasion.

Stoneygate is also a City Council ward which extends beyond the residential area into part of Highfields and Evington Valley.

The ward is, yea, but no one uses the ward names to describe areas in typical use, it’s more political boundaries for councillors.

The LM never say something happened in Castle, or Wycliffe - we just don’t use them to refer to places.

The second image I posted is from LCC. 

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

How bad is that Brooklyn hotel outside of the tigers ground. All the traffic for that beige monstrosity. 

The University have used similar bricks as part of some of their buildings just up the road.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Big shout here from Cool As Leicester.

What are they doing with this monstrosity now? 

The coloured windows have always looked like an attempt at modernising it by someone who has no concept of what modern design is... Or seen a building... Or colours before.

I get that it's a dire 60s tower block, but it all feels very "how you doing, fellow kids?". Hope it's good. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

The coloured windows have always looked like an attempt at modernising it by someone who has no concept of what modern design is... Or seen a building... Or colours before.

I get that it's a dire 60s tower block, but it all feels very "how you doing, fellow kids?". Hope it's good. 

Let's see the finished job before we decry it as council vandalism. IMO it can only be an improvement on the current style and as you say, let's hope it attracts the right attention as the 3rdv tallest artwork in the world. If it was Barcelona or somewhere similar, it would likely be lauded.

Never understood the painted windows, though. I assume they aren't windows in someone's flat.

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Might have been an old wive's tale but weren't those windows put in to spite the council who no-no'ed some kind of development? Could be absolute rubbish mind!

• Like 1