Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

1 hour ago, Rob1742 said:

One real positive that is happening in a few areas in the North may well form part of our towns moving forward.

In Newcastle and Sunderland they have  what they call a Stack. Basically it’s a social scene created fairly cheaply. Shipping containers are placed around the outside, forming a social square in the middle. It’s open air, with heated burners with small independent retailers taking up the containers to sell food, bars, coffee or smaller services. It’s cheap to construct, so accessible to small businesses, but the vibe in the centre where you eat is incredible. Basically you have the choice of maybe a dozen food outlets and bars , but you all sit in the middle and often there is live music on. 

There are bars, so it just moves from day time style customers to night time effortlessly and I have seen a great vibe both at 2 in the afternoon and 12 midnight.

I genuinely think this will be the way forward for our Cities. We NEED cheaper retail space to provide areas for smaller retailers to survive and I think the councils will jump on this as they will see it takes the risk away from the centre where there is currently high rents and big corporates who can get swallowed up or go bust overnight leaving town centres decimated.

Also could be good for investors too. They might be happy to turn large areas who they currently rent to, over to a Stack style operation where they have seen it work in different areas. Easier to replace smaller retailers if they move out, but also if they see a formula that has worked elsewhere it will give them comfort over just offering their current space to a smaller retailer. It’s the whole package that makes this work. 

Check out The Stack Seaburn or Newcastle. I am certain this style venue will be the norm in every City in 10 years. It’s what the towns need, but it’s also great for us too. 

We visited an indoor food market in Copenhagen. Rather than just a place to buy food to take home its full of artisan eateries and drinks. So you effectively shop, eat and drink in one indoor space, all purchased from small retailers.

It would work in any town in the world I think. Likewise, the container markets/bars in Christchurch are amazing. They were built as a temporary fix after the earthquake, but I can't see them ever getting rid because of the unique atmosphere you describe.

These enterprises are the key to the future of city centres, they need to be about the experience not the shopping.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

One real positive that is happening in a few areas in the North may well form part of our towns moving forward.

In Newcastle and Sunderland they have  what they call a Stack. Basically it’s a social scene created fairly cheaply. Shipping containers are placed around the outside, forming a social square in the middle. It’s open air, with heated burners with small independent retailers taking up the containers to sell food, bars, coffee or smaller services. It’s cheap to construct, so accessible to small businesses, but the vibe in the centre where you eat is incredible. Basically you have the choice of maybe a dozen food outlets and bars , but you all sit in the middle and often there is live music on. 

There are bars, so it just moves from day time style customers to night time effortlessly and I have seen a great vibe both at 2 in the afternoon and 12 midnight.

I genuinely think this will be the way forward for our Cities. We NEED cheaper retail space to provide areas for smaller retailers to survive and I think the councils will jump on this as they will see it takes the risk away from the centre where there is currently high rents and big corporates who can get swallowed up or go bust overnight leaving town centres decimated.

Also could be good for investors too. They might be happy to turn large areas who they currently rent to, over to a Stack style operation where they have seen it work in different areas. Easier to replace smaller retailers if they move out, but also if they see a formula that has worked elsewhere it will give them comfort over just offering their current space to a smaller retailer. It’s the whole package that makes this work. 

Check out The Stack Seaburn or Newcastle. I am certain this style venue will be the norm in every City in 10 years. It’s what the towns need, but it’s also great for us too. 

Wouldn't this force even more 'permanent' bars and restuarants to close?

Surely more accomodation in town will lead to more people shopping there, the important thing is to get the balnce correct.

There’s plenty examples of that outdoor independent markets across the country. Even held them in Leicester occasionally. In fact a lot of them held in the Market Square. Course it’s fashionable to give Leicester shit and ignore it. 

In fact there was a quarterly vegan food market which led one of the business being ready to open up their own restaurant before Covid hit 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

Wouldn't this force even more 'permanent' bars and restuarants to close?

Surely more accomodation in town will lead to more people shopping there, the important thing is to get the balnce correct.

A lot of business use it as an introduction or a short let of a month for their more permanent business 

15 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

A lot of business use it as an introduction or a short let of a month for their more permanent business 

I'm sure they do but it would also attract 'outsiders/competitors. Just think you'd have to be careful about how it was managed.

9 minutes ago, davieG said:

I'm sure they do but it would also attract 'outsiders/competitors. Just think you'd have to be careful about how it was managed.

You’ll find a lot of the independents piggyback off each other - in Birmingham, they all team up on a discount card. Card costs about £25 - discounts as good 10%. But it’s to collectively encourage each businesses. Everyone needs footfall. 

Piggybacking off what Rob said, the containers idea is a really good one. In Manchester they have a similar thing and there's maybe 7 or 8 different food stalls there, and a few different drinks stalls as well. There's also an old factory type place that's been converted to an eatery with ten or so different food places. Cheaper rent for new business starters, and high footfall because nobody needs to compromise. A group of friends can go out, one can get tacos, one can get a burger, the other can get ramen and all sit together. This kind of initiative will be important post-Covid to help young business starters as it will not be as much risk as taking out a traditional rental space. Obviously this might not be good for those who own city centre commercial property, but perhaps it will allow some creativity to thrive in how we manage our cities. 

• Like 1

Bit of a shame the Keepmoat development by Frog Island is going to be solely residential, it'd seem (could be wrong, would love to be). I cycle down that way often and whilst the Rally and over the other side of the canal / river is going to look infinitely better for it it feels like a giant opportunity missed to make it more of a "destination."

I don't doubt they're going to be nice enough properties but there's nothing in that development to entice much footfall down there, hopefully it'll regenerate Woodgate / Frog Island by proxy but folk will likely just continue to mooch into the Highcross / centre.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BrokenRecord said:

Piggybacking off what Rob said, the containers idea is a really good one. In Manchester they have a similar thing and there's maybe 7 or 8 different food stalls there, and a few different drinks stalls as well. There's also an old factory type place that's been converted to an eatery with ten or so different food places. Cheaper rent for new business starters, and high footfall because nobody needs to compromise. A group of friends can go out, one can get tacos, one can get a burger, the other can get ramen and all sit together. This kind of initiative will be important post-Covid to help young business starters as it will not be as much risk as taking out a traditional rental space. Obviously this might not be good for those who own city centre commercial property, but perhaps it will allow some creativity to thrive in how we manage our cities. 

You mean the Printworks? Cinema in there too, I went to watch 1917 whilst I was on a work trip up there. 

Hopefully a lot of the good things there are replicated in the Leicester Central regeneration. 

48 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

You mean the Printworks? Cinema in there too, I went to watch 1917 whilst I was on a work trip up there. 

Hopefully a lot of the good things there are replicated in the Leicester Central regeneration. 

Nah though that is a good example! The one I meant was Mackie Mayor, I think it's a little more recent but there's some superb food in there. The place with the crates is HatchMCR and that's up on Oxford Road, near the Unis so it gets a lot of students and young people there. I'd love Leicester to go in the same direction. It might not have as much going for it financially as Manchester, but Leicester could really become a superb city. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Bit of a shame the Keepmoat development by Frog Island is going to be solely residential, it'd seem (could be wrong, would love to be). I cycle down that way often and whilst the Rally and over the other side of the canal / river is going to look infinitely better for it it feels like a giant opportunity missed to make it more of a "destination."

I don't doubt they're going to be nice enough properties but there's nothing in that development to entice much footfall down there, hopefully it'll regenerate Woodgate / Frog Island by proxy but folk will likely just continue to mooch into the Highcross / centre.

Could even be a modern version of Wigan Pier if they could attract the right investors involved in food and retail.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

A lot of the restaurant chains were in trouble before covid came along as this shows.On the one hand it’s grim reading and on the other surprising it’s not more.What it will be like this time next year though????

53 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Sad read. What a state poor old market street is in though. 

Would be nice if the whole street could be rebranded and themed in some way to revive it, much in the way st Martin's is independents and like how churchgate used to be jewellers

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

3800 miserable, miserable people. 

Maybe but if this is what they want why did they sell off the Velodrome which had the capacity to provide all of that. They allowed the cycle track and the stadium itself to disintegrate to a point where it would cost a lot to repair but now they probably what to spend the equivalent messing up the athletics stadium. Short termism is alive and well. 

I am so desperate that when I hit middle age I don't become one of the seemingly countless weirdos who march to Leicester Mercury's comments section to castigate Peter Soulsby every chance they get.

It's so fantastically predictable that a LM article relating to the City Council area has some freak screaming about him in the comments.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

I am so desperate that when I hit middle age I don't become one of the seemingly countless weirdos who march to Leicester Mercury's comments section to castigate Peter Soulsby every chance they get.

It's so fantastically predictable that a LM article relating to the City Council area has some freak screaming about him in the comments.

Hold me back.....i'm 52!:)....Now the cycle path down Groby Road which no one will use.....:ph34r:

Is an article in the mercury about the number of businesses closed during 2020, a very depressing read.

The city has never been the most glamorous, but some horrible decisions have made it worse in my view, the obsession with making it vehicle unfriendly, the refusal to implement trams and free parking, knocking down the bus station only to build a similar one in the exact same spot instead of next to train station.

Also ultimately the lack of effort to address the local housing crisis ultimately means less money to be spent by the local residents.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Is an article in the mercury about the number of businesses closed during 2020, a very depressing read.

The city has never been the most glamorous, but some horrible decisions have made it worse in my view, the obsession with making it vehicle unfriendly, the refusal to implement trams and free parking, knocking down the bus station only to build a similar one in the exact same spot instead of next to train station.

Also ultimately the lack of effort to address the local housing crisis ultimately means less money to be spent by the local residents.

Agree that bad decisions have been made, reducing 3/4 lane major inner city routes to 1/2 lanes is a particular bug-bear of mine as it SEVERELY restricts the emergency services in getting through traffic. It causes stress in the drivers trying to give way or move aside as there is nowhere for them to go so much so that if we're stuck in traffic that can't move over, we have turn of the sirens/lights and sit and wait so that drivers don't take unnecessary risks in trying to give way.

My question would be though, where would you build a bus station adjacent to the railway station?

• 3 months later...

Not very safe either.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/most-dangerous-roads-leicester-ranks-5427993

The most dangerous roads as Leicester ranks fourth worst in the country for crashes
A new study has found that Leicester's city centre is one of the worst for car accidents

19COMMENTS
ByCorey BedfordLive News Reporter
05:00, 23 MAY 2021

Leicester is one of the worst places in the UK for car accidents, according to a new study.

The city comes in fourth place, only behind London, Birmingham and Leeds, when it comes to both serious and non-serious crashes in the past ten years.

The study, by CarMoney, found that there were 6,399 car crashes within 2km of Leicester's city centre, 701 of which were considered "significant", while there were 5,698 "slight" accidents.

When you break those stats down, it equals out at 12.3 crashes a week - almost two crashes a day.

Out of the 12 crashes a week, one of them will have been "significant", with 5.84 significant crashes every month.

The study has revealed the worst areas in Leicester for car crashes
The study has revealed the worst areas in Leicester for car crashes (Image: CarMoney)
In the description for the study, they defined "slight" accidents as shunts and bumps, while "significant" crashes are when a serious or fatal incident occurred.

The study also found that significant crashes increased by 34 per cent, but crashes overall in the city decreased by 40 per cent.

The most crashes were found in the city centre, with 284 significant incidents and 2,094 slight incidents - with the study saying five significant crashes had happened at a pedestrian crossing on Belgrave Gate alone.

The study also broke down the most dangerous roads in Leicester - with Narborough Road coming out worst with 48 serious incidents.

This was followed by the Leicester stretch of the A6 with 30 serious incidents, and then 26 serious incidents on Melton Road.

Charles Street had 20 serious crashes, while Catherine Street rounds out the top five with 16 serious crashes.

Nottingham was another East Midlands city to make the top five most dangerous roads, coming in fifth with 6,220 crashes within ten years.

The full study can be found at the CarMoney website.

On 30/12/2020 at 21:00, Paninistickers said:

Sad read. What a state poor old market street is in though. 

Would be nice if the whole street could be rebranded and themed in some way to revive it, much in the way st Martin's is independents and like how churchgate used to be jewellers

The owners of St Martins noticed the trend before everyone else - leisure sells, retail doesn’t. We will be seeing leisure venues like go karts and crazy golf more likely to pop in town now.