Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

They’re standing up for their brothers. Ultimately we won’t remove religion from our society so we need to find a way to re-establish the peace. As the posts above outline, Indian nationalism which goes hand in hand with a sect of Hinduism has come into our communities. Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus have gotten on here peacefully for decades, something has changed. The very fact the Sikh and Islamic communities are uniting tells you a lot. 

Sikhs have been against Hindus for several decades 

3 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Which ones do the best curry’s ?

3 hours ago, Chiltern Fox said:

That's exactly how this should be settled!

just picking two breakfasts from geographical extremes of India

793001594_beefroti.jpg.41c247f515752ffd16a461eb27f31bd7.jpg

Beef Roti

531627343_MumbiaThali.jpg.9cfc792a1890f9c9cd35db62a7c5df8f.jpg

Thali

Please dont make me pick sides....... sort it out another way

• Like 1

6 hours ago, He aint bald said:

just picking two breakfasts from geographical extremes of India

793001594_beefroti.jpg.41c247f515752ffd16a461eb27f31bd7.jpg

Beef Roti

531627343_MumbiaThali.jpg.9cfc792a1890f9c9cd35db62a7c5df8f.jpg

Thali

Please dont make me pick sides....... sort it out another way

I would enjoy both of those. Maybe not for breakfast though. I’ll stick with me porridge 👍🏼

4 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Radio Leicester news this morning, the leading news story is about some disgruntled yobs making a nuisance of themselves on the Belgrave Road.

The supporting News item is about the laying to rest of Queen Elizabeth II after 70 years of reign.

Nothing yet on Brendan.

The club wont announce anything today.

21 hours ago, moseeds said:

Clearly a cricket match which has been played hundreds of times before wasn't the reason for violence. And consider most Muslims in Leicester are of Indian origin too, along with Sikhs and Hindus.

Within 5 minutes walk of Green Lane Road you can walk to temples for all major religions and there has never been any confrontation like this in the duration of my life (40 years).

So something has changed for the worse.

Unfortunately the politics of India has seeped into some Indian Asian areas across England. Tories have tapped into it already (see recent elections in Leicester and London and how many dog whistles were blown). Of course many of us stil retain ancestral relationships to India so the affairs of that country aren't alien to us as it will be to a white English or black Nigerian person. But playing out those grievances in this country is something new and very worrying.

The 'farmers protest' primarily led by Sikh Indian farmers against the Indian government provoked retaliatory rallies by Indian government supporters in diaspora communities as far away as cold Canada. That is new.

There's been a definite uptick in political activism from Indian government affiliated pressure groups which has meant Russian & Saudi style donations landing in influential pockets. These are known issues and not conspiracy. It's quite normal of course. But the consequent activism is new.

Reducing this down to slurs does a disservice to hundreds and thousands of people who have made the city their home for several generations, boosting the city economically and yes culturally too.

The journalist Sunny Hundal has done a really good job tracking this rising Indian nationalist activism in Britain. Unfortunately our city has become a pawn in a bigger story that starts across the ocean.

Some interesting links:

1. A long read of a panel discussion chaired by Henry Jackson Society (right wing think tank) titled: 'is the left losing British asians' focusing on Leicester a lot

https://henryjacksonsociety.org/members-content/left-losing-british-indians/

2. Example of unaffiliated/anonymous leaflet being circulated during the last general election

I lived off Gwendolen Road in the early 80s. Never any real tensions then. The 81 'riots' kicked off in The Burlington apparently when a few people decided to get in on the action going on elsewhere in Toxteth and Bristol. Sad to see what is happening at the moment being stirred up by extreme elements on the different sides. 

• Like 1

On 18/09/2022 at 09:16, Vacamion said:

Speaking as a resident of Glasgow, I think it's unconscionable that people would carry on their war from another country which is based on which particular sky fairy they worship, and that the passion aroused by sport would give expression to this continuing hatred.

Aye, we take no part if that suff up here, as you well know! 😉 

• Haha 1

For decades, Leicester had been known as a city well-regarded for people from all faiths respecting one another's - from a media's perspective anyway.

Sadly, this is turning nasty all of a sudden.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

What a pathetic way to live your life. Having beef that not only travels thousands of miles but also manages to travel through generations. 

I've been taught since I was a toddler that we should all get along, why are these muppets not taught the same. 

Sadly, hating an "other" is very easy. Doing what is right and seeing everyone as human is much more difficult. I guess that's why these people take the path of lesser resistance.

58 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Apparently someone tried to lynch a Hindu teenager outside the Swaminaryan Temple on Gipsy Lane last night :(

There is a lot of unhelpful rumours going around. There was a rumour that an elderly lady on the Muslim side was attacked and raped. One starts it and it spreads.

The thing is, none of these such incidents are reported and when they are reported they seem to be dismissed as untrue very quickly - the city is being tested like it never has before. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

There is a lot of unhelpful rumours going around. There was a rumour that an elderly lady on the Muslim side was attacked and raped. One starts it and it spreads.

The thing is, none of these such incidents are reported and when they are reported they seem to be dismissed as untrue very quickly - the city is being tested like it never has before. 

Agreed. 

I worry it won't stop for a few weeks. 

Diwali is in a few weeks. India vs Pakistan in the T20 world cup is a day before that. 

Gonna be very tense in the city at that time. And perhaps other areas with a high South Asian population. Due to be visiting family on that weekend for Diwali and I worry for our safety. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

There was also a rumour at my daughters school in Oadby that a muslim girl was nearly kidnapped by a group of indians in a car.

It transpired that the girl made it up🥺

2 minutes ago, Raj said:

There was also a rumour at my daughters school in Oadby that a muslim girl was nearly kidnapped by a group of indians in a car.

It transpired that the girl made it up🥺

Exactly. 

There have been 15 arrests to date - all the troublemakers. No kidnappings, no assaults, no families targeted. 

people love rumours

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
4 hours ago, SkidsFox said:

No more bad rumours/news?  

Nope. Still a dump.

Having said that, living in Hinckley isn't great but I had cause to go to Coventry and Nuneaton recently. OMG. Cov is at least trying and has history to relate to. Nuneaton is just the arse end of the Midlands. Horrible place, no character, no identity nothing of any attractive architecture. Just a bland Midlands dump of a town.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Nope. Still a dump.

Having said that, living in Hinckley isn't great but I had cause to go to Coventry and Nuneaton recently. OMG. Cov is at least trying and has history to relate to. Nuneaton is just the arse end of the Midlands. Horrible place, no character, no identity nothing of any attractive architecture. Just a bland Midlands dump of a town.

I live in Burbage and think Hinckley has improved (a bit) useful for supermarkets and the crescent is “OK” and stockwells does good coffee. It’s nowhere near as bad as central Leicester IMO

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tommy G said:

I live in Burbage and think Hinckley has improved (a bit) useful for supermarkets and the crescent is “OK” and stockwells does good coffee. It’s nowhere near as bad as central Leicester IMO

I am amazed at that. Yes there are a few streets of awfulness in the centre but from the city centre alone, St Martins Square has more on offer than Hinckley does full stop. 

Then there are areas like Allandale Road and Queens Road. 

• Like 2