Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

I've not posted in here for a while been concentrating on positive stuff about Leicester / Leicestershire.

But this is why Leicester is a dump - Aylestone Meadows

.Litterbugs leave barbecue leftovers just feet away from a bin

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/litterbugs-leave-bbq-leftovers-strewn-5491728

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, davieG said:

I've not posted in here for a while been concentrating on positive stuff about Leicester / Leicestershire.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/litterbugs-leave-bbq-leftovers-strewn-5491728

I imagine a lot of cities have similar problems with the ignorant, lazy, selfish section of their population. 

What has happened to taking pride in where you live?

Shameful.

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

I imagine a lot of cities have similar problems with the ignorant, lazy, selfish section of their population. 

What has happened to taking pride in where you live?

Shameful.

Oh I’m sure but I live in Leicestershire.

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

Oh I’m sure but I live in Leicestershire.

Me too and it absolutely annoys the heck out of me that it's happening here. In MY city that I love, respect and care about.

Why can't others?

Edited by Parafox

52 minutes ago, davieG said:

Exact same used to happen around watermead, right up until they banned BBQ's there. No litter since, like magic. A shame the few have to ruin it for the many, some great memories of firing up a BBQ down there with friends/family.

22 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Exact same used to happen around watermead, right up until they banned BBQ's there. No litter since, like magic. A shame the few have to ruin it for the many, some great memories of firing up a BBQ down there with friends/family.

There's a report in the Merc about a young melting his foot after treading on a barbecue buried in the sand on a beach.

image.thumb.png.bc850191120422e73d4c28c0bb06618f.png

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been cycling along the towpaths lately, both directions from the centre of town. Up to Watermead and the other way to Aylestone meadows. What an amazing way to see our city, such a different viewpoint.

Only gripe is some some sections of the canal are absolute cesspits. Why are they not cleaned, even semi regular? A real shame

• Like 2

On 04/06/2021 at 19:47, Innovindil said:

I lived in Birstall up until about 2 years ago and frequently walked my dog around Watermead - the banning of barbecues seemed to make very little difference whenever I visited, people just ignored the ban and left bags of shit and half-eaten food all around where the designated barbecue area had previously been, like some disgusting vigil! Maybe it's different now, but it certainly didn't fix it overnight

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 30/07/2021 at 23:16, TK95 said:

Went to watch Grease at The Curve tonight. Thought I'd grab a bite to eat in town afterwards.

Can't believe just about everything was shut. It was only about 10:15pm. So many eating places in town where's the late night munchies at lol:rolleyes:

MARYLAND!!!!!!! 

On 30/07/2021 at 23:16, TK95 said:

Went to watch Grease at The Curve tonight. Thought I'd grab a bite to eat in town afterwards.

Can't believe just about everything was shut. It was only about 10:15pm. So many eating places in town where's the late night munchies at lol:rolleyes:

24 hour @Asda fosse park?

• Haha 1

On 04/06/2021 at 20:19, Free Falling Foxes said:

I was in Abbey Park earlier and noticed there are now two bins in the middle of the large oval green near the tennis courts. There are plenty of bins around the perimeter, but I guess some sods are too lazy to carry their rubbish to those, so the council have placed these additional ones.

Whenever I see those I just wanna ping a mitre ultimax at it all afternoon.

During a rare quiet moment at work this morning I decided to have a read on the Mercury website (before you say anything, I know, it is terrible) and came across this article about Hospital Close, a small housing 'estate' that was previously owned by the NHS and housed NHS staff and families etc. It was recently sold off to the Council as the NHS had let many of the houses fall into a state of disrepair. The estate has now been left with many houses boarded up, many now housing homeless or drug addicts and the estate has become a dumping ground for fly tippers etc. However there are still the odd few homes with tenants in.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/people-left-living-abandoned-eyesore-5842257

I went on to Google Street View to take a look around the area and the images are all from 2011, it looks like a very small but quiet area, tidy, green and not overall a bad place to live at all, especially for NHS workers with the General just round the corner.

It begs the question, how, in the space of just 10 years, has a nice little housing area like this been left to rot and turn into an actual hell hole in the middle of the City. Who's fault is it? The NHS for not maintaining the properties properly to the point they had to sell or the Council for doing diddly squat with them since buying them? 

I can't believe we have let an area become like this in the middle of our City. There's many areas of Leicester people call 'dumps' and most of it said tongue in cheek but this place actually looks like a no-go zone.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

During a rare quiet moment at work this morning I decided to have a read on the Mercury website (before you say anything, I know, it is terrible) and came across this article about Hospital Close, a small housing 'estate' that was previously owned by the NHS and housed NHS staff and families etc. It was recently sold off to the Council as the NHS had let many of the houses fall into a state of disrepair. The estate has now been left with many houses boarded up, many now housing homeless or drug addicts and the estate has become a dumping ground for fly tippers etc. However there are still the odd few homes with tenants in.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/people-left-living-abandoned-eyesore-5842257

I went on to Google Street View to take a look around the area and the images are all from 2011, it looks like a very small but quiet area, tidy, green and not overall a bad place to live at all, especially for NHS workers with the General just round the corner.

It begs the question, how, in the space of just 10 years, has a nice little housing area like this been left to rot and turn into an actual hell hole in the middle of the City. Who's fault is it? The NHS for not maintaining the properties properly to the point they had to sell or the Council for doing diddly squat with them since buying them? 

I can't believe we have let an area become like this in the middle of our City. There's many areas of Leicester people call 'dumps' and most of it said tongue in cheek but this place actually looks like a no-go zone.

Back in 1985 before I became a paramedic, I was a porter at the LGH. Hospital Close was maintained by the LGH maintenance teams, gardeners and tradesmen.

At that time there were a number of nurses flats and 3 bed houses for doctors and their families, that they rented from the hospital, (subsidised).One of my responsibilities was to deliver clean linen and collect used stuff. I also had to deliver new furniture and white goods as required.

I recall having to remove one those old fashioned twin tub washing machines as the doctor's wife had somehow thought it would be the perfect machine for boiling large quantities of rice! Also had to remove a wardrobe once. Pets were not allowed in the accommodation but one doc had a dog. It was discovered after the dog had taken a shit in the wardrobe and the cleaner discovered it.

I was aware they had been sold off but from what I remember the accommodation was pretty basic and not somewhere you'd want to be in for long. IIR, the doctors that rented the houses were on 3 year contracts.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Further to this, someone in the comments posted this which I found an interesting read about the city centre

http://www.jonestheplanner.co.uk/2011/02/urban-impressions-leicester-city.html?m=1

I saw this on Twitter myself and it felt really weird reading someone write about Leicester this way. When you grow up in Leicester and naturally see and hear all the bad stuff that happens you forget about the good things about Leicester and hearing it from a neutral point of view feels weird.

You kind of (in my opinion) grow up thinking that you need to leave Leicester and visit other cities and countries to see nice places and often forget what's on your own doorstep sometimes. 

Leicester and Leicestershire as a whole is not a bad place.  Every City across the UK has it's dodgy areas.   

I grew up in Market Bosworth and now live in Ashby.  Surrounded by beautiful countryside, lovely walks (National Forest) and lots of interesting history as well. 

I wouldn't necessarily want to live in highfields, but i've never felt threatened on nights out in the city.  Whether that be down Braunstone Gate or up on London road. 

there are plenty of places that would be worse to live.  

22 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

I saw this on Twitter myself and it felt really weird reading someone write about Leicester this way. When you grow up in Leicester and naturally see and hear all the bad stuff that happens you forget about the good things about Leicester and hearing it from a neutral point of view feels weird.

You kind of (in my opinion) grow up thinking that you need to leave Leicester and visit other cities and countries to see nice places and often forget what's on your own doorstep sometimes. 

This tweet sums it up for me…. We should be a little more confident about our city

16 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

I wouldn't necessarily want to live in highfields, but i've never felt threatened on nights out in the city.  Whether that be down Braunstone Gate or up on London road.  

I lived off the Narb for 4 years in my early twenties and walked back from nights out many a time, and I don't recall ever feeling uneasy. 

I only had an issue once when I was chased by a weird bloke across Castle Park because I didn't have a quid to give him, and that was in the middle of the day. It was like something out of a Benny Hill sketch. 

I've said it before, but in my experience the towns, like Northampton were much, much worse for people starting trouble. I spent a lot of time there in my late teens as I went to school in the county, and such was the concentration of people in a relatively small area of bars and clubs, come kicking out time, there was constantly trouble. It made me very nervous.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dump seems to be the correct description here.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/anger-disgraceful-vandals-smear-dog-5924610

Vandals smeared dog poo all over a skate park in Barwell

Anger as 'disgraceful' vandals smear dog poo all over village skate park
The disgusting mess will be costly to clear up, councillors have said

ByNick Dawson
04:00, 17 SEP 2021

Vile vandals threw bags of dog poo all over a skate park in Barwell, near Hinckley.

The ugly mess was found smeared across the play area, off Stapleton Lane, by Barwell Parish Council groundskeepers, on the morning of Wednesday, September 15.

The attackers removed the black bin bag from a dog poo bin at the park before pelting the skate park with the bags of faeces.

"Whoever did this disgraceful act should realise they are not only putting themselves at risk but also other local children and our staff at risk of catching toxocariasis, a common parasite found in dog faeces that can cause asthma, epilepsy and blindness.

"While toxocariasis infections are rare it is more likely to affect children because of their play habits, but adults can become ill too."

Rebecca Preston lives near the park and her nine-year-old son regularly plays on the skate park.

She said she was dismayed as to why anyone would do this.

She said: "I don't understand what the mentality is behind it.

"It's usually pretty quiet. There isn't any trouble down here.

"I go up there myself with my dog but you use the bins provided - you don't expect someone to take it out and throw it."

Tina Duane also lives in Barwell and goes to the park every day to walk her three dogs.

She said the vandalism was "disgusting" but very unusual for the area.

"I don't see much anti-social behaviour. I usually come every day because it's a nicely set out park", she said.

"I love it, the dogs love it, I have never encountered any problems.

"There's been one or two incidents but nothing major.

"It's used as a cut-through as well by a lot of people. The people are friendly down here."

The mess has now been cleared up.

There has been a spate of vandalism over the summer in the village, where vandals have torn up planters installed by volunteers in the village centre.

If you have any information about the incident, you can call Hinckley 844229 or email [email protected].

On 07/09/2021 at 09:25, RoboFox said:

I lived off the Narb for 4 years in my early twenties and walked back from nights out many a time, and I don't recall ever feeling uneasy. 

I only had an issue once when I was chased by a weird bloke across Castle Park because I didn't have a quid to give him, and that was in the middle of the day. It was like something out of a Benny Hill sketch. 

I've said it before, but in my experience the towns, like Northampton were much, much worse for people starting trouble. I spent a lot of time there in my late teens as I went to school in the county, and such was the concentration of people in a relatively small area of bars and clubs, come kicking out time, there was constantly trouble. It made me very nervous.

Northampton goes under the radar but it’s a proper crap town . 

Bridge Street on the weekend is basically everyone out for a Punch Up

• 4 weeks later...