Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Deucalion

Teflon Faces.

I'm going to make a controversial statement and then feck off to the Sea Life Centre in Birmingham.  So here goes.

Thinking about how many people suddenly like Vardy again after his bright start to the season, it got me wondering what happened to all those people who were slagging him off?

I am actually feeling quite smug at the moment.  I have stuck by Vardy, as I do pretty much all players who go through difficult periods.  I have clapped him when he has been warming up and I have refrained from negative comments in any format.  If Vardy does have a good season, then I will reap my rewards for my patience, and the currency will be self-satisfaction and a feeling of superiority over those less able to keep their tongues in check.

So my point is this.  Will anyone actually notice my sanctimonious satisfaction?  I suspect probably not.

Is this because:

• People just forget they totally slagged a player once that player starts performing?
  • People remember what they used to say, but they are unconcerned about their turnaround because their faces repel egg like teflon?

Just wondering !!

Well you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Strikes me that there are 2 principal schools of thought;

1) You call each game as you see it. You might be called fickle but at least you can't be accused of having your head in the sand.

2) You get a feeling about a player/system/team which may or not be right and you just go with it. You might be accused of having your head in the sand but at least you can't be accused of being fickle.

Either way, somebody will pick a fault with it. Personally I'm looking forward to the first "Where are all da Beckford haterz now????" thread when he scores a late consolation against Yeovil.

He scored one goal in one match.

No one has been vindicated either way.

I've stated here before I believe he is a lower league player, and believe it or not even they can score the odd decent goal at a higher level.

I liked his post match interview with the scandal monger. He kept to few words, admitted he had proven nothing yet and stated he started pre season early off of his own back to try and right the shortcomings of last season.

I sincerely hope he score 18-20 goals this season and I am made to admit I was wrong, but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

I think saying someone had a bad game is ok!! Call what you see is fine! But there is a difference between that and still actually supporting a player to come good rather than spouting some of the bollocks some fans put on here!

I'm going to make a controversial statement and then feck off to the Sea Life Centre in Birmingham. So here goes.

Thinking about how many people suddenly like Vardy again after his bright start to the season, it got me wondering what happened to all those people who were slagging him off?

I am actually feeling quite smug at the moment. I have stuck by Vardy, as I do pretty much all players who go through difficult periods. I have clapped him when he has been warming up and I have refrained from negative comments in any format. If Vardy does have a good season, then I will reap my rewards for my patience, and the currency will be self-satisfaction and a feeling of superiority over those less able to keep their tongues in check.

So my point is this. Will anyone actually notice my sanctimonious satisfaction? I suspect probably not.

Is this because:

• People just forget they totally slagged a player once that player starts performing?
  • People remember what they used to say, but they are unconcerned about their turnaround because their faces repel egg like teflon?

Just wondering !!

I'm desperate for Vardy to make it, as I am every single player that steps out in our shirt. ....but playing Devils advocate for a minute that was one game, and against a side that also lost to Accrington Stanley! ... knee jerk reactions after one game do nobody any favours just like if he plays poorly against Leeds he shouldn't be just judged on that either

Let's have a bit of perspective and judge his overall performances after say ten games. .....but here's hoping he scores many more and sooner rather than later does indeed prove you right :)

He started well last season and has done the same this season. Given his comments about close season and working harder before preseason, he certainly knows what to do to try and succeed in this division.

I'll be hoping and fully supporting him in his little personal quest, and I may have been a bit negative in the past about him. Just hope he can continue his good form for the whole season this time, and of course that requires consistent playing time...

I "don't like Vardy" again, but then I never really rubbished him either. Most people trumped up his name post boro purely because of the pre-match and in-match comments where quite a few rubbished him and Pearson's team selection.

The lad has a long way to go to prove himself good enough for this league still.

Well you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Strikes me that there are 2 principal schools of thought;

1) You call each game as you see it. You might be called fickle but at least you can't be accused of having your head in the sand.

2) You get a feeling about a player/system/team which may or not be right and you just go with it. You might be accused of having your head in the sand but at least you can't be accused of being fickle.

Either way, somebody will pick a fault with it. Personally I'm looking forward to the first "Where are all da Beckford haterz now????" thread when he scores a late consolation against Yeovil.

I don't think option one is fickle, players are inconsistent, especially at this level, Vardy had a good game against Boro, but if he has a shit game against Leeds, then he has a shit game against Leeds, regardless of what happened at Boro.

What annoys me is the people who take the second one to the extreme, whether it is blindly claiming a player is amazing (see SSL) even when they play crap, or claiming they are utter shite (this week I think it is Wood) despite proving the opposite on a number of occasions. 

The truth is very few players who have donned the City shirt are unforgivably crap, or unquestionably brilliant. For the most part football management staff pick players that can do a job at their club. It's more about the application and pure coincidence, plus fans temperments and attitudes.

I've criticised Vardy before and called for a loan move, but I've also mentioned a few times that this season is his "make it or break it" period, after a rather disappointing spell, a couple of rather sloppy performances (fear of shooting, bad first touch, misguided passes, bad defending) and finding back from injury.

I think if he can't deliver this season, he'll finally fall into the "bad investment" category in my eyes. I mean, he should have had enough time to settle in by now.

What a stupid thread. He scores one goal in the first game of the season and you feel smug.....

He scored the odd goal last season too, but you weren't feeling smug then were you? Cos he never looked good enough on the whole.

I hope he starts against Leeds because he's earnt it. But having seen him for a season I don't think he's good enough and it will take a lot more to prove me wrong.

I've never slagged him off, and always supported him, but people who hated him are suddenly in love with him for no reason. He had a poor first half against Boro, and about a half an hour good spell in the second. I hope he continues to get goals, but he is by no means a world beater yet.

I'm going to make a controversial statement and then feck off to the Sea Life Centre in Birmingham.  So here goes.

I am actually feeling quite smug at the moment.  I have stuck by Vardy, as I do pretty much all players who go through difficult periods.  I have clapped him when he has been warming up and I have refrained from negative comments in any format.  If Vardy does have a good season, then I will reap my rewards for my patience, and the currency will be self-satisfaction and a feeling of superiority over those less able to keep their tongues in check.

So my point is this.  Will anyone actually notice my sanctimonious satisfaction?  I suspect probably not.

Is this because:

Just wondering !!

Far too soon to see if Vardy has turned the corner. One decent second half. I think you need to raise your standards!

I'm not saying Vardy is a world beater, what I am saying is he is probably considerably better than some people have been saying.  If he does go on to do well this season, then no doubt people will be proclaiming him as the new Gary Lineker.

The point was, and is...that being wrong about players, and managers for that matter, doesn't seem to stop people shooting from the lip the next time a player has a bad patch of form or doesn't live up to expectations.  

This thread isn't necessarily just about Vardy anyway.  It could be about Jimmy Willis, Steve Walsh, Steve Claridge, Ian Ormondroyd or many, many other players who have been slated, only to achieve the kind of success which should have people eating their words...but doesn't, because they just make snap judgements about the next player who comes along and isn't great straight away.

For the record, there is nothing wrong with having an opinion.  I stated on here that I thought Vardy's first touch was terrible last Saturday and he was lucky to get the second touch which he did so well with.  

What I don't like is hate campaigns against players.  You would think people would learn not to do this...but they don't seem to.

btw -  Sea Life Centre was very nice !!  Got told off for nearly killing a nurse shark with my flash though.

:thumbup:

Not me.. If you read back a few weeks I said I had a feeling he could turn it around this season... If Pearson and his coaching team have worked on his first touch.

I'd play him and Nuge against Leeds. Vardy's biggest asset is his pace. If this can be used effectively, he will score goals.

The truth is very few players who have donned the City shirt are unforgivably crap, or unquestionably brilliant. For the most part football management staff pick players that can do a job at their club. It's more about the application and pure coincidence, plus fans temperments and attitudes.

Your about right Trav

Don't really slag any players off personally but obviously we all have out favourites. I hope Vardy comes good on a permanent basis

Is this because:

Just wondering !!

Maybe his performance has nothing to do with you, so you have no reason  to  feel  smug?

Maybe his performance has nothing to do with you, so you have no reason  to  feel  smug?

My smugness stems from my Pearsonesque ability to 'not get to high about the positives or too low about the negatives' and take a longer view of things.  

Well earned I'd say.    :trumpet:

Truth be told, I got up on Friday morning in a bit of a bad mood for some reason and decided to have a dig at people's kneejerk reactions and how being wrong doesn't seem to stop people continuing to make snap judgements they should later regret.  This is a valid point I think.

I also had a bit of a dig at myself for being self-satisfied and smug about it.  I don't think many people got this part.  

Of course, Vardy hasn't yet proven he is up to the Championship, but he has made a good start and I hope he continues to impress.  If he does, then he joins a long list of players written off early who go on to prove many fans wrong.  

I suppose I've just never forgiven myself for booing Jimmy Willis !!   lol

Archived