hackneyfox Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 I assume he was injured as he wasn't even on the bench but I've seen no mention of it.
harpendenfox Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 He has a minor Achilles injury which he has been carrying for a few weeks, and should be fine for Barnsley. Lots of mentions both on here, by Shaky on Saturday, and elsewhere
MGLCFC Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 Achilles injury - should be back for Barnsley according to NP.
Renart Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 Will he make it back into the starting 11 with Mahrez having a solid game?
Babylon Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 Will he make it back into the starting 11 with Mahrez having a solid game? Mahrez was average, no more no less. Dyer has been blistering and unplayable for most of the season.... what do you think?
hackneyfox Posted 3 March 2014 Author Posted 3 March 2014 Mahrez ofers more options as a player than Dyer and has been brought in for the PL, he need to start playing regularly so something has to give.
StanSP Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 Dyer was at the ground though on Saturday. Steve Walsh (former player not scout) put up a picture on Twitter with Dyer and Konch on Saturday evening. Dyer looks so out of it though
Renart Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 I'm really not sure on this one. I don't think that Mahrez set the world alight on Saturday but it was his first start and he didn't do badly at all. I have been advocating that Dyer has been in need of a rest for a few weeks. That is not me saying that I don't rate him - I really do - but I don't think that he has been at his best. I think that hackney has a point with this and I think NP would like to give Mahrez the starts. Maybe this is a good opportunity for addressing both of these issues. A quite word from NP to Dyer saying that he doesn't want to rush him back (give him a rest but make him feel like he isn't being dropped) and he is, therefore, also able to give Marhrez the game time that he wants/needs?
red5 Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 Mahrez was average, no more no less. Dyer has been blistering and unplayable for most of the season.... what do you think? Average? The Mahrez I was watching was outstanding.
Babylon Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 Mahrez ofers more options as a player than Dyer You should be a scout if you can come to conclusions like that so quickly.
Babylon Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 Average? The Mahrez I was watching was outstanding. Yes average. If you thought he was outstanding, well good for you. But if that was "outstanding", I wonder what you made of some of Dyers performances this year. Barring a couple of fakes, and a great ball in for Nuge to head over his contribution was limited, for me made the least impact on the pitch, barring Wes and the Keeper or had bugger all to do.
Corky Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 Yes average. If you thought he was outstanding, well good for you. But if that was "outstanding", I wonder what you made of some of Dyers performances this year. Barring a couple of fakes, and a great ball in for Nuge to head over his contribution was limited, for me made the least impact on the pitch, barring Wes and the Keeper or had bugger all to do. <Insert coment here where people think Babylon is Lloyd Dyer or a close relative/ friend of Lloyd>
hackneyfox Posted 3 March 2014 Author Posted 3 March 2014 Dyer certainly hasn't been unplayable for the last 5 games or so. I don't think you need to be a coach to know that Dyer is a very limited player he has pace and very little else. Yes he's had a fantastic season but Mahrez has a football brain and 2 feet.
Babylon Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 <Insert coment here where people think Babylon is Lloyd Dyer or a close relative/ friend of Lloyd> People don't like the truth To be fair, he was an improvement on how Lloyd has been playing the last 5/6 games. He's going to need to produce a lot more to be the premier league starter some people seem to be talking him up as. Clearly the guy has great technical ability, and for his first start he was solid in most departments. As I said Sat, I'm sure there is a lot more to come from him.
Renart Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 Mahrez was average, no more no less. Dyer has been blistering and unplayable for most of the season.... what do you think? Average? The Mahrez I was watching was outstanding. Come on, surely he was somewhere between the two? As I said in my previous post, I think it is an opportunity to not rush Dyer back and give Mahrez some more time. Therefore, you still have the option of bringing Dyer on as an impact player in the 2nd half if the game is not going our way, whilst giving him a bit more time to recover and testing out a new player in a way that saves face for the player left on the bench. Nice problem to have though isn't it?
red5 Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 Yes average. If you thought he was outstanding, well good for you. But if that was "outstanding", I wonder what you made of some of Dyers performances this year. Barring a couple of fakes, and a great ball in for Nuge to head over his contribution was limited, for me made the least impact on the pitch, barring Wes and the Keeper or had bugger all to do. Dyer has limited skill he is just fast, Mahrez is a very talented skilfull player, can't compare the two only to say Mahrez has the ability to be a far better player then Dyer. If you think Dyer is a better player then good for you.
Babylon Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 Come on, surely he was somewhere between the two? Nope, I'm staying with average and I'm talking average compared to what his team mates were doing. It was decent enough, but he looked average compared to most of the others.
kingfox Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 Mahrez was easily a 7/10 rating at the weekend, nothing more. He was decent in parts, a bit like Knockaert, but he also faded out the game and tried too hard at times. I agree with Rivers of Babylon.
Babylon Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 Dyer has limited skill he is just fast, Mahrez is a very talented skilfull player, can't compare the two only to say Mahrez has the ability to be a far better player then Dyer. If you think Dyer is a better player then good for you. On performances this season it's without question Dyer has been the better performer. But, Mahrez has only just joined and hardly played, I'm not going to be making any statements about how good he'll be or whether he will end up being a better player until I have see more of him. As I have said, it's clear he has some great technical ability, and I'm sure there is a lot more to come from him. But I'm not joining in with the usual over reactions you get to new players with fancy names. We've had players put in better performances when they first joined than he has, and they ended up doing nothing. So talk of him keeping someone out of the team, who until the last half dozen games would have been in with a shout of player of the year is a bit premature. He might end up doing so on merit, he's looked a worthy addition to the squad in the brief glimpses we've had so far. agree with Rivers of Babylon. I concede... I must be wrong.
MC Prussian Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 Mahrez ofers more options as a player than Dyer and has been brought in for the PL, he need to start playing regularly so something has to give. You mean, other than skill, speed and the odd goal here and there?
Captain... Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 If Dyer has had a knock, I would start Mahrez against Barnsley, the general consensus from the ratings thread suggests it was a solid 7 performance, the more game time he gets the better, to know exactly how he fits into this team and to help him adapt to the English game, better to blood him here and now than next season. Have Dyer on the bench if he is fit, bring him on for the last 30 minutes to run at tired and scared Barnsley defenders see how his Achilles holds up.
Hungry Hungry Fox Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 It is possible to like both dyer and mahrez ya know
hackneyfox Posted 3 March 2014 Author Posted 3 March 2014 You mean, other than skill, speed and the odd goal here and there? Skill? He has the ability to kick a ball past a player and then run faster than said player and get the ball, what happens after that often seems like luck, many of his goals this season look as if he's mishit them. He's had a great season, his best ever for us but he offers very liitle else except pace, thankfully that pace has created goals and assists but most of them haven't been technically great. Mahrez still has a lot to prove so Dyer should play in the games where he's unlikely to be doubled up on.
Finnegan Posted 3 March 2014 Posted 3 March 2014 Mahrez was average, no more no less. Dyer has been blistering and unplayable for most of the season.... what do you think? Winning team, a run against a few softer clubs, an older player possibly needing a rest, a younger one who needs experience in this league? Not sure it's that obvious. I like Dyer, I'm a fan. But there's no harm in resting him and no sign Mahrez weakens the side.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.