Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
hackneyfox

Where was Dyer on Saturday?

Recommended Posts

Posted

I think whilst not being individually anything more than good, Mahrez offered more balance to the side. He will not only run at players but he'll link play together and roam far more than Dyer who very much likes to stick to his left side, beat a player and get the ball into the danger area. That is fine and is a very good option to have, particularly late on but when Knockaert is the other side, we end up a bit lop sided as he likes to drift. What Mahrez does is he allows Knockaert to drift as he will drift into the space left by Knockaert, giving a greater balance to proceedings.

I also think this is the benefit of Schlupp at left back over Konchesky. He is similar to De Laet when getting forward and so both sides are more balanced in style. Having said that Lloyd and Konchesky are better defensively so it's tough to decide which combination is best from all four of them.

Posted

Winning team, a run against a few softer clubs, an older player possibly needing a rest, a younger one who needs experience in this league?

Not sure it's that obvious.

I like Dyer, I'm a fan. But there's no harm in resting him and no sign Mahrez weakens the side.

Well he didn't say for the next game did he, it read more like for the rest of the season "Will he make it back into the starting 11".

Posted

Why do people get so secure over Dyer? I think we all know he's had a good season, but that shouldn't prevent Mahrez pushing on. Mahrez won't have Dyer's pace, but I bet he has a better footballing brain.

Posted

Yes average. If you thought he was outstanding, well good for you. But if that was "outstanding", I wonder what you made of some of Dyers performances this year.

 

Barring a couple of fakes, and a great ball in for Nuge to head over his contribution was limited, for me made the least impact on the pitch, barring Wes and the Keeper or had bugger all to do.

Agree with this. Mahrez did his job, nothing more.

 

Dyer should come back in, if fit.

Posted

I'm really not sure on this one. I don't think that Mahrez set the world alight on Saturday but it was his first start and he didn't do badly at all. I have been advocating that Dyer has been in need of a rest for a few weeks. That is not me saying that I don't rate him - I really do - but I don't think that he has been at his best. I think that hackney has a point with this and I think NP would like to give Mahrez the starts. Maybe this is a good opportunity for addressing both of these issues. A quite word from NP to Dyer saying that he doesn't want to rush him back (give him a rest but make him feel like he isn't being dropped) and he is, therefore, also able to give Marhrez the game time that he wants/needs? 

 

He's been carrying an achilles injury for a few weeks too, so... :dunno:  Given a rest, we might get the old Dyer back.

Posted

Reading through this thread, it appears that some will call mahrez average in defence of dyer, and those commenting stating he was better than average and not fussed if dyer gets a place back.

For me mahrez looked better than average, and believe there is a lot more to come from the lad.

Dyer has been frustrating the last half dozen games, the injury might explain that, but I am still convinced the contract situation has been in his head, but dyer has been brilliant this season and warrants any praise he gets.

But I think as city fans it's a win, win situation, dyer when fit will scare defences with his pace, even though the end product is not always there, and has proved that all season, mahrez is clearly more skillfull and will only get better the more he plays, and is young and as we have seen can create openings as he appears an intelligent footballer.

So what I'm getting at, is instead of debating who is better, or belittling a players contributing to the side, be greatful we have these two very different, but very good players to put in our starting 11, or to make an impact of the bench, as a lot of teams in the top two divisions would take both without hesitation.

Both will be here next season, and both will have an impact on keeping us in the premier league.

Posted

Reading through this thread, it appears that some will call mahrez average in defence of dyer

Saying he was average has nothing to do with Dyer, it's because he was average compared to almost all of our other players that actually had something to do. Drinkwater and Nugent were brilliant and outstanding, Vardy, James and Knockaert excellent and influential... his performance did not touch their levels. Just my opinion, and nothing to do with Dyer.

 

Dyer has his shortcomings, they are clear for everyone to see, and he's been shit for 5/6 games for whatever reason. But as per usual, we have a new play thing with a foreign name and suddenly everyone is dying to fall over themselves and say he's something he currently isn't and questioning whether Dyer will get another start due to his performance (which didn't get anywhere near what Dyer has produced for most of the season). That is defending Dyer.

Whoever thinks mahrez was average, cant of been at the game.

:rolleyes:

Posted

If Dyer had of been in the team instead of Magrez on the weekend we definitely wouldn't have created Vardy's goal in that fashion Mahrez exploited space in the middle, made a nice break and slipped a lovely pass off to Nugent. That kind of output is beyond Dyer but Lloyd has been invaluable this season and deserves his plaudits.

Posted

I'm going with Babs on this. Average is spot on for me for his display on Saturday. First start and all that entails, but average. Promising, but average. Some moments of flair, but average. He didn't touch the ball for the first 20 minutes - I've never seen us play so exclusively down one side of the pitch as we did. I think had Dyer played, we would have scored more as he would have stretched them beyond repair with his pace. Mahrez does need game-time, though. Totally correct. And I feel the next two or three fixtures offer a great opportunity for him to get to grips with the pace and physicality of the game here. It also means a totally rested and (hopefully) recovered Lloydy for tougher games to come.

Posted

Why do people get so secure over Dyer? I think we all know he's had a good season, but that shouldn't prevent Mahrez pushing on. Mahrez won't have Dyer's pace, but I bet he has a better footballing brain.

cos he's safe

Posted

Saying he was average has nothing to do with Dyer, it's because he was average compared to almost all of our other players that actually had something to do. Drinkwater and Nugent were brilliant and outstanding, Vardy, James and Knockaert excellent and influential... his performance did not touch their levels. Just my opinion, and nothing to do with Dyer.

Dyer has his shortcomings, they are clear for everyone to see, and he's been shit for 5/6 games for whatever reason. But as per usual, we have a new play thing with a foreign name and suddenly everyone is dying to fall over themselves and say he's something he currently isn't and questioning whether Dyer will get another start due to his performance (which didn't get anywhere near what Dyer has produced for most of the season). That is defending Dyer.

:rolleyes:

Babs, your opinion is that he was average, your opinion, but for me a player to play in his first full 90 minutes in English football, and fit into a side that has played together all season, and not look off the pace or out of place, for me is better than average, and yes the whole team played very well, and all complimented each other, and mahrez was apart of that dominant performance, and I hope the more he adjusts to the English game, the better he will get, and the more of his skill we will see.

Wether he is English, French, Outer Mongolian, people will get excited by a potentially very talented prospect, and I don't think you saying he foreign play thing is warranted, but your right he's not set the world alight yet, but hasn't had the pitch time, but is it wrong to get excited that we have a very good prospect at our club,

regardless of his nationality.

For me they are both important to our club, dyer for now, as he isn't getting younger, and mahrez, knockeart, wood, and the likes are the future.

Posted

If Dyer had of been in the team instead of Magrez on the weekend we definitely wouldn't have created Vardy's goal in that fashion Mahrez exploited space in the middle, made a nice break and slipped a lovely pass off to Nugent. That kind of output is beyond Dyer but Lloyd has been invaluable this season and deserves his plaudits.

 

Not to do Mahrez a disservice cos I think he played well, but didn't Knockaert have the ball and then got clattered and the ball fell to Nugent?

Posted

If Dyer had of been in the team instead of Magrez on the weekend we definitely wouldn't have created Vardy's goal in that fashion Mahrez exploited space in the middle, made a nice break and slipped a lovely pass off to Nugent. That kind of output is beyond Dyer but Lloyd has been invaluable this season and deserves his plaudits.

Errrrm nice... but it was Knockaert who broke and "passed" to Nugent.... and the term passed is used loosely considering it got kicked against him and ran into Nugents path.

Posted

I'm going with Babs on this. Average is spot on for me for his display on Saturday. First start and all that entails, but average. Promising, but average. Some moments of flair, but average. He didn't touch the ball for the first 20 minutes - I've never seen us play so exclusively down one side of the pitch as we did. I think had Dyer played, we would have scored more as he would have stretched them beyond repair with his pace. Mahrez does need game-time, though. Totally correct. And I feel the next two or three fixtures offer a great opportunity for him to get to grips with the pace and physicality of the game here. It also means a totally rested and (hopefully) recovered Lloydy for tougher games to come.

I'm not trying to run the lad down by saying it, he did what he was asked to do. He was making his full debut and was solid, I wouldn't expect him to be reaching the heights of others yet who have been playing together all season and are fully match fit and know each others games.

Posted

Dyer has been the complete bins since Mahrez signed, coincidence or not? He always goes missing during the winter months and then comes good again around April. Nowt wrong with Riyad taking over for a bit and let Lloyd sort his gig out.

Posted

It's funny how Mahrez does very little and has a "solid game"

And Dyer does no less in the previous few games including scoring a goal and he is having a blip

 

Dyer was dreadful the last few games, I gave him the benefit of doubt due to the conditions we'd had over winter, but last week we had perfect weather and he couldn't even control the ball. Obviously we've now found out he has an injury, which might explain it.

 

Mahrez at least kept the ball ticking over and could find his other team mates on a regular basis.

Posted

Seems strange that he's been carrying an injury all this time but we've continued to play him, then when we decide to start with Mahrez Dyer isn't even on the bench.

 

:ph34r:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...