Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LeicesterBran

What Game Are You Playing At The Moment ?

Just got the platinum trophy on Days Gone. Loved every minute of it. Cant believe some of the early reviews i read that weren't keen on it. I thought the story was engaging and once i got used to the combat and camera it wasn't as bad as i initially thought. Very easy to get the platinum as you can get all trophies on Easy Mode.

The ending does suggest a sequel which i really hope is true. They can certainly go further with the story

Now what to play next?

• Like 2

Advance Wars reboot hype has me dusting off Black Hole Rising.  I forgot about the rough difficulty spike for the final mission of the introductory campaign, that one had me bamboozled for longer than I'd like to admit.
Main game is still Horizon, getting good mileage out of it.

5 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Just got the platinum trophy on Days Gone. Loved every minute of it. Cant believe some of the early reviews i read that weren't keen on it. I thought the story was engaging and once i got used to the combat and camera it wasn't as bad as i initially thought. Very easy to get the platinum as you can get all trophies on Easy Mode.

The ending does suggest a sequel which i really hope is true. They can certainly go further with the story

Now what to play next?

What sort of thing are you after?  I'm still keeping an eye on Day's Gone so cheers for the feedback, the general reception on here convinced me to stick it on the wishlist but with it being about the only title not currently on sale it'll have to wait a bit now. 

In terms of good current deals Fallen Order's going cheap across platforms, I'm not a massive Star Wars head but I'm very tempted to stick that one in my library for after Horizon, only heard good things about it as a game. 

21 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Picked up Batman Return to Arkham, since it's super cheap for PS4.

Enjoying playing through Asylum again, as it's one of my all-time favourites.

Never quite finished Arkham City, so I'm looking forward to doing so this time.

Had the series in my Steam Library for ages, I have played Arkham Asylum for 2.5 hours and haven't touched it since 2014

Should probably give them another go

• Like 1

14 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Had the series in my Steam Library for ages, I have played Arkham Asylum for 2.5 hours and haven't touched it since 2014

Should probably give them another go

The Batman games are brilliant. The combat is really slick and very enjoyable. I would certainly suggest playing all of them

• Like 1

On 02/07/2021 at 19:29, Carl the Llama said:

Advance Wars reboot hype has me dusting off Black Hole Rising.  I forgot about the rough difficulty spike for the final mission of the introductory campaign, that one had me bamboozled for longer than I'd like to admit.
Main game is still Horizon, getting good mileage out of it.

What sort of thing are you after?  I'm still keeping an eye on Day's Gone so cheers for the feedback, the general reception on here convinced me to stick it on the wishlist but with it being about the only title not currently on sale it'll have to wait a bit now. 

In terms of good current deals Fallen Order's going cheap across platforms, I'm not a massive Star Wars head but I'm very tempted to stick that one in my library for after Horizon, only heard good things about it as a game. 

I cant stand Star Wars so i dont think i will be playing that lol. Days Gone was a free download months ago on PS Plus. Perhaps you added it to your library without even realising?

I dont tend to buy games on release as the price is just ridiculous. I always judge a game on whether i would have been happy paying full price for it. Days Gone i really enjoyed. So the fact i got it for free in PS Plus was awesome. I would have been happy enough to have paid full price for it.

Im just looking through the library of games ive saved from PS Plus. Think ill try Borderlands. By then hopefully Mass Effect will be a little lower in price.

Started Borderlands and just wasnt feeling it. So decided to look on Steam on my PC. Wasn't feeling anything on that either. Remembered i downloaded a Gamecube emulator and remembered i downloaded Skies of Arcadia Legends. One of my all time favourite RPG games ever made. So ive decided to do another play through of it. As far as stories go i just love it. Anybody else played it. Most likely many years ago now lol 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Started Borderlands and just wasnt feeling it. So decided to look on Steam on my PC. Wasn't feeling anything on that either. Remembered i downloaded a Gamecube emulator and remembered i downloaded Skies of Arcadia Legends. One of my all time favourite RPG games ever made. So ive decided to do another play through of it. As far as stories go i just love it. Anybody else played it. Most likely many years ago now lol 

Which emulator are you using?

I feel like giving Star Fox and Pokemon Colosseum another play after about 15-20 years haha

45 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Which emulator are you using?

I feel like giving Star Fox and Pokemon Colosseum another play after about 15-20 years haha

Dolphin, works with no problems so far. Ive played Zelda TP and WW so far. 

• Thanks 1

I'm playing that Ancenstors, the humankind odyssey since last night, its pretty good, you play as an ape and you have to discorver your surroundings, explore, mess about creating tools and working out how to fish, im not far in, and its slow paced but i quite like it. its very different, and discovering something as simple as a pointy stick and catching a fish with it is oddly satisfying. eating it made me sick though, because im not omnivorous yet. also on the hunt for flint so i can have a Tom Hanks in Cast Away moment :D

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey on Steam (steampowered.com)

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Looking forward to this! Even some new free DLC inspired by the show!

This is why I've left the two DLCs alone since moving to PS5.  I finished the main quest literally just before switching.  Saw they were coming up with an update so thought I'd wait.  

Now I've been sidetracked by A Plague Tale Innocence and this is an excellent PS plus title this month.  Cannot put it down, story is great and it looks fantastic.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

This is why I've left the two DLCs alone since moving to PS5.  I finished the main quest literally just before switching.  Saw they were coming up with an update so thought I'd wait.  

Now I've been sidetracked by A Plague Tale Innocence and this is an excellent PS plus title this month.  Cannot put it down, story is great and it looks fantastic.

I really enjoyed Plague Tale. Rats are a bit creepy but was a very solid single player game definitely worth playing for the price (free). 

On 10/07/2021 at 16:50, Carl the Llama said:

Ok I started Fallen Order yesterday and I'm really, really enjoying it.  As in genuine goat contender enjoying it.  I've not experienced a game live up to its hype this well since Divinity 2 came out.

Cool. I might go for that next. The PS5 version just came out and I just finished the 2016 remastered Rachet & Clank but not sure I want to jump into the new one right now. 

I hear FO is also a bit “Souls like” in its combat and I have that also lined up so might be good transition game. 

3 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

Cool. I might go for that next. The PS5 version just came out and I just finished the 2016 remastered Rachet & Clank but not sure I want to jump into the new one right now. 

I hear FO is also a bit “Souls like” in its combat and I have that also lined up so might be good transition game. 

Yeah it's far less punishing than a Souls title so it's a good place to start for 'Souls like' stuff (my death tally can't be much higher than 15-20 even including the obligatory handful of attempts to kill Oggdo Boggdo with a fresh character).  It will certainly give you a feel for the whole bonfire/estus flask mechanic if you've never played a From Software title but I'd say the combat is closer to Sekiro than Souls because there's more focus on the parry mechanic.  For some enemies it's the difference between a battle of attrition and a single attack so it's worth getting to grips with early even if dodge-roll/strike/dodge-roll is perfectly effective to begin with.  A lot more of a focus on platforming too (again like Sekiro).  

If I had one complaint it's not the longest game ever (I've 100% in my save with 45h logged and a not-insignificant amount of that will be accounted for by map-screen idling while I did other things, Dark Souls will be a much bigger time-investment), but it feels like every second was meticulously crafted.  I did all the collectibles and filled all the maps and by the time I reached the final mission I'd just unlocked my final ability on the ability tree without needing to do any grinding, there's an almost Zen feel to how neatly packaged everything is. The only 'downtime' was going back to locations for previously inaccessible (or simply overlooked) collectibles but it didn't feel like downtime, jumping around the obstacles searching for that nook you missed is still fun because you may have already completed the area but you haven't been sent backwards and forwards through it on a hundred fetch quests so it still feels fresh, helped by the way enemy composition in some areas can change depending on your progress through the main mission.  Contrast that with Horizon which I completed recently and it's the opposite story: 140h+ hours invested but a lot of that spent performing repetitive quests, chores like filling up the health bar or searching for specific animals to kill until they eventually drop the right item, or simply stuck in a drawn-out battle of attrition.  Horizon is still a very good game but FO respects your time much better.

I called it a GOAT contender, but I'm not sure I can back that up in any of the game's categories:
Metroidvania: Still got to be Hollow Knight, a lot more intricate platforming and the ability badge mechanic is just *mwah*.  Would definitely give this an honourable mention though.
Souls-like: I mean it's called souls-like for a reason...
Open World: I only mention this category because it has that tag on the Steam store, it's not an open world game in the true sense.  Skyrim/Witcher 3/BOTW still reign supreme in this one.

3rd person action/adventure:  Maybe.  I've only played the 3rd Uncharted which is already a game I'm not sure you could comfortably say it's better than and that's not even the best one according to Uncharted fans.  Right up there for sure depending on your personal preferences.

Star Wars:  It's definitely the best Star Wars game I've played but I'm not a big SW fan and I've never played the KOTOR games so I'm ill-qualified to say.

Anyway yeah, maybe not the best game ever but still play it, it's really good 

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently playing through A Plague Tale Innocence Still.  Excellent game.  Another decent freebie on ps+.  

Wish I'd just added FO to my library now for 11 quid in the sale but I've got a load of stuff already to get through including AC Valhalla, ME123, Demon Souls, FFXV, Monster Hunter and Days Gone.  

Still need to pick up Ratchet and RE8 as well lol

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Currently playing through A Plague Tale Innocence Still.  Excellent game.  Another decent freebie on ps+.  

Wish I'd just added FO to my library now for 11 quid in the sale but I've got a load of stuff already to get through including AC Valhalla, ME123, Demon Souls, FFXV, Monster Hunter and Days Gone.  

Still need to pick up Ratchet and RE8 as well lol

I played about 5 minutes of A Plague Tale Innocence and for some reason it didn't really grab me to carry on lol I should probably give it another, still got it installed but like yourself I have quite a backlog to get through first

Recently finished RE8, Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us Part 2 for the Platinum, and Days Gone

Now trying to finish off Horizon Zero Dawn, Pokemon Ultra Moon, and really need to get back to AC Valhalla, and I also bought the entire RE series which I need to play through lol Zelda Skyward Sword HD on the Switch being delivered tomorrow as well so another one on the list!

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

On 15/07/2021 at 15:00, Carl the Llama said:

Yeah it's far less punishing than a Souls title so it's a good place to start for 'Souls like' stuff (my death tally can't be much higher than 15-20 even including the obligatory handful of attempts to kill Oggdo Boggdo with a fresh character).  It will certainly give you a feel for the whole bonfire/estus flask mechanic if you've never played a From Software title but I'd say the combat is closer to Sekiro than Souls because there's more focus on the parry mechanic.  For some enemies it's the difference between a battle of attrition and a single attack so it's worth getting to grips with early even if dodge-roll/strike/dodge-roll is perfectly effective to begin with.  A lot more of a focus on platforming too (again like Sekiro).  

If I had one complaint it's not the longest game ever (I've 100% in my save with 45h logged and a not-insignificant amount of that will be accounted for by map-screen idling while I did other things, Dark Souls will be a much bigger time-investment), but it feels like every second was meticulously crafted.  I did all the collectibles and filled all the maps and by the time I reached the final mission I'd just unlocked my final ability on the ability tree without needing to do any grinding, there's an almost Zen feel to how neatly packaged everything is. The only 'downtime' was going back to locations for previously inaccessible (or simply overlooked) collectibles but it didn't feel like downtime, jumping around the obstacles searching for that nook you missed is still fun because you may have already completed the area but you haven't been sent backwards and forwards through it on a hundred fetch quests so it still feels fresh, helped by the way enemy composition in some areas can change depending on your progress through the main mission.  Contrast that with Horizon which I completed recently and it's the opposite story: 140h+ hours invested but a lot of that spent performing repetitive quests, chores like filling up the health bar or searching for specific animals to kill until they eventually drop the right item, or simply stuck in a drawn-out battle of attrition.  Horizon is still a very good game but FO respects your time much better.

I called it a GOAT contender, but I'm not sure I can back that up in any of the game's categories:
Metroidvania: Still got to be Hollow Knight, a lot more intricate platforming and the ability badge mechanic is just *mwah*.  Would definitely give this an honourable mention though.
Souls-like: I mean it's called souls-like for a reason...
Open World: I only mention this category because it has that tag on the Steam store, it's not an open world game in the true sense.  Skyrim/Witcher 3/BOTW still reign supreme in this one.

3rd person action/adventure:  Maybe.  I've only played the 3rd Uncharted which is already a game I'm not sure you could comfortably say it's better than and that's not even the best one according to Uncharted fans.  Right up there for sure depending on your personal preferences.

Star Wars:  It's definitely the best Star Wars game I've played but I'm not a big SW fan and I've never played the KOTOR games so I'm ill-qualified to say.

Anyway yeah, maybe not the best game ever but still play it, it's really good 

After a slow start I’m warming to FO. The opening sequence was fun but then the next planet was a bit dull and fighting random monsters isn’t as exciting. Picking up now I’ve some more force powers and getting to fight imperials again. I am wanting to explore and get all the unlockables but also want to keep moving. Not sure I’ll do everything. 

I’m playing on PS5 and playing the PS5 version. Seems so much smoother on performance mode and since I switched it’s been a bit less choppy and made combat better (or maybe I’m getting better?). The rest / low availability of health is getting less annoying too. The lag on stim packs when in combat is less grating than before too. 

Will keep playing through it and I’m sure I’ll enjoy some more. 

On a side note, anyone who watches Mythic Quest on Apple TV will appreciate this, but the Jedi whose footsteps you’re following is basically CW Longbottom, and I can’t unsee that now! 

Despite having it nigh-on since release I’ve just managed to finish Resident Evil Village, I pretty much agree with the consensus on here: a lot more shooter based than 7, but still an excellent game. As Costock said, seemed much easier as I didn’t die nearly as much as on 7. Hope the next one is a bit more of a challenge with a balanced mix in terms of action and survival horror however.

• Like 1

Working my way through Mass Effect 3 now.  ME2 is such a great experience and the various DLC that came with it was great, particularly Lair of the Shadow Broker which I left right up until Suicide Mission before completing.  Still up there with the best I've played across multiple generations.

Looking forward to the Dead Space remake!

About to fight the last boss on Skies of Arcadia. It really is up there as one of the most enjoyable RPGs ive ever played. I just think the Nostalgia really hits home as i was the only person i knew who owned a Dreamcast so i was never able to share the experience. No grinding necessary really with it. Really like the story.

So now i need to decide again which game to try next. Still want Mass Effect trilogy but not sure if i want to pay current prices.

My bro in law has gave me his sign on for Playstation so i may look at what he has in his library

So went into the Bro in Laws library and decided to give Dragon Ball Z Kakarot a try. I only started watching DBZ super and enjoyed that story but never watched the originals. So the game is a good chance for me to understand some of the earlier timelines.

He also has Persona 5, which i have never played so may give that a try

On 10/07/2021 at 22:50, Carl the Llama said:

Ok I started Fallen Order yesterday and I'm really, really enjoying it.  As in genuine goat contender enjoying it.  I've not experienced a game live up to its hype this well since Divinity 2 came out.

Agree. Probably in my top 10 or 15 of games I've ever played tbh.